Speedo healer and 45t Rear Sprocket

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have just dropped down to a 45t rear Sprocket. I used the speedo healer estimated function on Healtechs web site. Which gave me a figure of -031. The problems is I am going about 20 mph quicker than my Speedo indicates.
How do I re-set the healer? If anyone has done the sprocket conversion what are you running at.
Which wheel runs the speedo?
Neil
Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have just dropped down to a 45t rear Sprocket. I used the speedo healer estimated function on Healtechs web site. Which gave me a figure of -031. The problems is I am going about 20 mph quicker than my Speedo indicates.
How do I re-set the healer? If anyone has done the sprocket conversion what are you running at.
Neil

The Speedohealer takes the speed signals from the transmission (thus the rear wheel).

If you have a GPS, I would just ride to actual 60 MPH and see what the speedometer is reading.

You should be able to look up these #'s and set it accordingly. Should be a little more accurate (as you have your exact tire diameter, etc)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a GPS which is what I did last time. I didn't have time to calibrate it before coming to work. I will disconnect the healer on the way home and ride in tonight with the GPS. I was just hoping someone had already done the conversion.
Neil

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did the GPS thing and I am 4 mph to fast on my Speedo reading @ 60 mph, but decided to set the speedo healer at 3 mph to fast. I'm happy with it being 1 mph out.
Delighted with the re-gearing, it dosn't require lots of clutch to get moving and still builds speed well through the gearbox without feeling bogged down. The cruising rpm in 6th has dropped down by about 1000 rpm. I'm also not trying to find a 7 th gear anymore.
In town traffic I am riding in a higher gear so as to not lose to much rpm. I will just wait to see if there is a positive with regard to fuel consumption. The gearing change is very subtle. I think the 17t front sprocket option might be a bit to drastic for the bike? I looke forward to seeing how the other guys get on with it.
Neil

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats interesting Nelly. You may have read my earlier thread about checking my speedo on my car with 2 sat navs (mainly to see if they themselves are consistent) then I recently tried my latest one on my bike.

The result is that, if the sat nav is to be believed, my 08 FZ6 is running slower than the speedo figure by 3mph @ 30 and 4mph by 60 then peaks at -5mph up around 80 onwards.
I am running totally stock sprok'n'chain at the moment.

My thinking was that if I change one sprok, say the rear up one, then the gear box would still 'see' the same speed but the back wheel would be going further per revolution, ie - slightly faster, bringing the actual road speed up closer to the readout - thus 'healing' the speedo.

What is weird is that you appear to have the same problem even after a gearing change. That would have made your speedo wildly out originally!

Has anyone finally nailed the problem?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats interesting Nelly. You may have read my earlier thread about checking my speedo on my car with 2 sat navs (mainly to see if they themselves are consistent) then I recently tried my latest one on my bike.

The result is that, if the sat nav is to be believed, my 08 FZ6 is running slower than the speedo figure by 3mph @ 30 and 4mph by 60 then peaks at -5mph up around 80 onwards.
I am running totally stock sprok'n'chain at the moment.

My thinking was that if I change one sprok, say the rear up one, then the gear box would still 'see' the same speed but the back wheel would be going further per revolution, ie - slightly faster, bringing the actual road speed up closer to the readout - thus 'healing' the speedo.

What is weird is that you appear to have the same problem even after a gearing change. That would have made your speedo wildly out originally!

Has anyone finally nailed the problem?

There are numerous posts where I believe a ONE tooth front sprocket change(forgot if it was up or down) pretty much corrected the speedometer with NO Speedohealer...

Do a search, I think, its one tooth smaller..

:D

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
Neil

I hate to say this, but try the website again? Maybe you typed the info wrong? Did you buy your bike new? If you bought it used, have you checked the front sprocket to see what it came with?

I have a speedo healer their website was dead on for my mod (-1 in the front). Otherwise just download the manual from their website, check your speed with a gps and adjust accordingly.

Good luck

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok to reset the healer turn ignition on. Press both buttons on healer until L flashes you have now cleared the memory and can put you settings in. It's by far more accurate to use a GPS to get the precise speed.
Neil

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok to reset the healer turn ignition on. Press both buttons on healer until L flashes you have now cleared the memory and can put you settings in. It's by far more accurate to use a GPS to get the precise speed.
Neil

+1 on using the GPS.

I got mine as close as possible (as the GPS has a very, very slight lag time) but likely within .5 MPH if not closer true speed...

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I did a search and found out that going for an extra tooth on the front sprocket brings the speedo up to about 1% error. Brilliant!

Rode round for a while thinking about it all, popped into a stealership to ask a few questions, like can I put an R6 set up on, then rode round some more.

I then realised that I ride through any number of speed cameras on every journey (London) and I'm used to the error on the speedo plus the margin built into the cameras. Together the errors give me a safety net. For example, a camera in a 50 zone will, according my sat nav, not trigger at 57mph. So I can use up most of the camera's margin by passing at a clock speed of 60, which I have discovered is actually 56 on my bike.
I then give myself an extra margin by keeping to around 58mph on the dial.
Et Voila! I fly past cagers who are instinctively (and dangerously, IMHO ) braking at every camera regardless of their speed.:Flip:

I just know that if I correct the speedo error I will eventually get a ticket, and in the UK, if you get a ticket within the first 2 yrs of passing your test, you have to re-take it. And thats damn expensive!:spank:

Given all the above, I returned to the dealer and stumped up for the OEM kit.

Color me happy!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I did a search and found out that going for an extra tooth on the front sprocket brings the speedo up to about 1% error. Brilliant!

Rode round for a while thinking about it all, popped into a stealership to ask a few questions, like can I put an R6 set up on, then rode round some more.

I then realised that I ride through any number of speed cameras on every journey (London) and I'm used to the error on the speedo plus the margin built into the cameras. Together the errors give me a safety net. For example, a camera in a 50 zone will, according my sat nav, not trigger at 57mph. So I can use up most of the camera's margin by passing at a clock speed of 60, which I have discovered is actually 56 on my bike.
I then give myself an extra margin by keeping to around 58mph on the dial.
Et Voila! I fly past cagers who are instinctively (and dangerously, IMHO ) braking at every camera regardless of their speed.:Flip:

I just know that if I correct the speedo error I will eventually get a ticket, and in the UK, if you get a ticket within the first 2 yrs of passing your test, you have to re-take it. And thats damn expensive!:spank:

Given all the above, I returned to the dealer and stumped up for the OEM kit.

Color me happy!

The toll camera's won't snap a picture of your tag if your over a certain speed? Is it just that the target is too fast to get an accurate picture?

Here in the US, they have some really HS camera's, how fast would you'd have to go over the limit to defeat them, ? Anyone?

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The toll camera's won't snap a picture of your tag if your over a certain speed? Is it just that the target is too fast to get an accurate picture?

Here in the US, they have some really HS camera's, how fast would you'd have to go over the limit to defeat them, ? Anyone?

No, he means there is leeway with the cameras, and that if his speedo is accurate, and he exercises the 'extra couple of kph' he currently does with the aforementioned speedo error, once he puts the 17T on, he'll be over.

In Queensland (where I'm from) the leeway is 10kph. In South Australia (where I am now), it's only 5 or so, which means you spend most of your time watching the speedo!

Cheers,
Rick

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No, he means there is leeway with the cameras, and that if his speedo is accurate, and he exercises the 'extra couple of kph' he currently does with the aforementioned speedo error, once he puts the 17T on, he'll be over.

In Queensland (where I'm from) the leeway is 10kph. In South Australia (where I am now), it's only 5 or so, which means you spend most of your time watching the speedo!

Cheers,
Rick

Oh, ok, he's now able to accuratly keep it UNDER the magic, ticket speed...

Tks