Specs needed for bar end weight design.

HVMP

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

This is not a sales pitch. Just looking for some info.

We are Hudson Valley Motorsports Parts - Motorcycle Handle Bar Ends to Reduce Vibrations We manufacture a wide variety of bar end weights for many different bikes. I already have a beta tester lined up to try new bar ends for the FZ6. We are almost done with the prototype except for one detail. We are not sure of the thread pitch on the stock bar end. My machinist was a little puzzled by it. He thinks it might be a proprietary pitch and not standard. Since forums are usually a great source of info, I respectfully request the help of anyone who might have these specs. We'll figure it out eventually I'm sure, but it never hurts to have some good info to start with. I tried calling Yamaha customer service, but was told they could not help me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
HVMP

HVMP

Reaction score
Visit site
Oops, I misunderstood my machinist. The thread pitch is not a problem. It is the diameter. It does not appear to be standard. We'll buy a set of bars to insure proper fit.

Thanks for your consideration.

HVMP

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm definitely interested in a set of the heavy bar ends, so I look forward to you guys getting these produced. :thumbup:

HVMP

Reaction score
Visit site
Yamahas have been weird. A lot of other manufacturers standardize their bar ends somewhat, with many models using the same bar end mounting. I've just discovered that some R6s will use the same bar ends as the R1s and some are completely different depending on which edition of the R6 you have.

I am going to add the R6 to our website, but with a caveat that you email first which model/edition you have.

I hope to have the FZ6 bar ends soon. They will be available in a 14 ounce and 17+ ounce configuration. I think the 14 ounce should be optimal, but I always like to offer an Extra Heavy option.

Any FZ6ers in the Hudson Valley, NY area want to meet and let me take some measurements?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamahas have been weird. A lot of other manufacturers standardize their bar ends somewhat, with many models using the same bar end mounting. I've just discovered that some R6s will use the same bar ends as the R1s and some are completely different depending on which edition of the R6 you have.

I am going to add the R6 to our website, but with a caveat that you email first which model/edition you have.

I hope to have the FZ6 bar ends soon. They will be available in a 14 ounce and 17+ ounce configuration. I think the 14 ounce should be optimal, but I always like to offer an Extra Heavy option.

Any FZ6ers in the Hudson Valley, NY area want to meet and let me take some measurements?

Funny.. I just sent you an email a little while ago about your universal bar ends. You replied saying that unfortunately they will not fit my bar (Renthal with 13mm internal diameter).

I considered tapping my aftermarket bar to make stock bar ends (which are already very heavy, so I'm not exactly sure there will be much market for replacements) work, but I don't think I can do it properly since it would have to be reamed to 14.5mm before it could be tapped and I don't want to mess it up.

To answer your original question, I am 99% sure that stock bar uses M16 x 1.5 pitch. If you'd like, I can take stock bar end to hardware store and try to thread a M16/1.5 nut on it.. that'll give a definite answer.

Now.. when will you have a universal bar end to work with 12/13mm internal diameter? :D (lots of aftermarket alu bars use 12mm internal diameter).

HVMP

Reaction score
Visit site
Erci,

I think if you drill and tap your aluminum bars you'll really be compromising their strength. The properties of aluminum is one of the reasons that all bar end manufacturers do not make bar ends for tubular aluminum bars.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No need, Ryan :)
I already PM'ed all the specs to HVMP.
Our stock bar ends are indeed M16 with 1.5 pitch.
Each stock bar end weighs 10 3/4 ounces.

I initially used a gauge too, but then went to hardware store and threaded M16 x 1.5 nut onto the bar end just to be 100% sure.

HVMP

Reaction score
Visit site
Erci, many thanks. Just sent you a PM.

With the current design, the option will be either a 15 ounce or 18 ounce bar ends.

I'll let you all now when the beta testing is done.

Thanks for the respectful treatment here. You have a fine forum.

I just might have to get an FZ6 so I can just hang around. I started on a KZ440, then moved up to a Buell Blast for something a little more modern, then got a Buell S3T (way too much bike for me so I gave it to my husband), went to Ninja 500 which I loved, and now a BMW R1150R. FZ6 was originally on my list earlier on, but I was talked out of it since I was a relative beginner. Probably a good thing since it is a quick bike.

HVMP

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
yeah, but you don't sound like a beginner now :) i'd love to have a r1150r. if i would have had the money i would have looked into a r1200r rather than an fz6. i'm not disappointed at all.

i know you haven't even made them yet but do you have a preliminary price on these? wanna know if it's something i can go ahead and put on my christmas wish list. :D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah, but you don't sound like a beginner now :) i'd love to have a r1150r. if i would have had the money i would have looked into a r1200r rather than an fz6. i'm not disappointed at all.

i know you haven't even made them yet but do you have a preliminary price on these? wanna know if it's something i can go ahead and put on my christmas wish list. :D

Prices seem to be about the same for any model.. ~ $55 for heavy and ~ $62 for extra heavy. I'm sure the ones for FZ6 will be in that range.
I would totally have a set on my bike right now if the universal ones fit my aftermarket bar. (No, I don't work for these guys :) )

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to see this is coming along nicely! I'm definitely picking up a set of these once they're available.

The thing I particularly like is that these aftermarket bar ends aren't tapered like the stock bar ends, thus making it easy to use bar-end mirrors (once I figure out how to cover the ugly mirror mounts on my '06). That's the only knock I've got on my FZ. It's the only bike I've seen that incorporates the windshield AROUND the mirror mounts, making it nearly impossible to use mirror block off plates and still look presentable. If you notice, this is something they changed on the '07+.

HVMP

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure about pricing yet, but they may be around the $65 range, because of some extra machining required for their unique giant thread adaptor. We really do this for fun. I still have a real job. We don't make much $$$$$ in this venture, and try to keep them as affordable as possible. Also, it may be imporatnt to some people that we do all the manufacturing here in the U.S.

We get to meet new people and attend rallies and have a good time in general.

Dean, we sort of fell into the BMW. Never thought we could afford one, but found one in the local paper an '02 with 6k miles with ABS, hard bags, windscreen, heated grips...really all the bells and whistles. Price was ridiculously low. The owner was an older guy who needed to sell it quickly to help pay for his boat. I like it a lot.

Last edited:

aalleexx5

Reaction score
Visit site
I so need extra heavy weight bar ends! I have carpal tunnel and I had to reduce the amount of time I spend on my bike. This would help a lot. Hurry! :D