Spark plugs??

Hazardous006

Reaction score
Visit site
Have a quick question wanted to run by you guys. Some mech. at my local moto shop told me that i am able to use automotive plugs on my bike so long as they are the correct gap. Is this one true? And another, i was told by a buddy of mine that to help clean your fuel system, use the fuel cleaner made for autos but make sure to not use all of the can cuz its made for 20 gallons. Is this one true also?

W

wrightme43

Spark plug no!

Not to say that auto plugs wont work. Just certian ones cause problems. Oh say bosch platnium with the insulator cracking and getting chunked up by the valves. Champion failing and doing the same thing.

Denso are good plugs,
but the NGK CR9EK or CR8EK being the ones to use.

I have tested and used Acetone as a fuel additive in my FZ6. The only person I told was Danny (sportriderfz6) It works for me. I dont do it any more. I may do it again in the future. It is a really effective cleaner for fuel systems as well.
Directory:Acetone as a Fuel Additive - PESWiki

I know this is going to start a poopstorm but oh well.
I would put one oz of acetone in and then ride to the gas station and put in 3.75-4 gallons of fuel in. It increased my milage, and did improve throttle response. Test if for yourself if you like.
Its on your own head though. Some people have damaged things by getting just stupid with amounts.
Directory:Acetone as a Fuel Additive - PESWiki.

if you havent tried it please dont knock it. If you have tried it and got different results feel free.

W

wrightme43

I know there are alot of things saying it doesnt work. My experince says it does.

I also have read that it eats fuel lines. Test it for yourself. It doesnt.

Link is broken though.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Spark plugs i would stay with NGK ... that's what yamaha says i should use.

As for cleaning the fuel lines, i drop a very small amount of diesel into the tank when i fill up. As it is an oil, it helps clean any residue in the fuel lines.

I have been assured often that it causes no damage.

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get the iridium plugs. Search the forum for the part number. They are about 7 dollars each and most auto parts stores will special order them, you don't need to order on line and pay shipping.

DaFiz

Reaction score
Visit site
Get the iridium plugs. Search the forum for the part number. They are about 7 dollars each and most auto parts stores will special order them, you don't need to order on line and pay shipping.
Ask any bike shop I'm sure... they really do work exceptionally well and last much longer than the standard plugs. The labour costs for each service should justify the difference in price.:rockon:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Ask any bike shop I'm sure... they really do work exceptionally well and last much longer than the standard plugs. The labour costs for each service should justify the difference in price.:rockon:

labor costs for service? whats that?

O.P. Just use the NGK plugs reccomended by Yamaha if you want more out of them get the irridium. The part number will be similar to "CR9EK" but with an "I" or something at the end. As for additives, if you want them go fill up with (a brand name) premium there is addititives in the gas.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
That kind of interval is stupidly low. They only do that to sell more sparkplugs and have you pay the dealership to install them.

Gap your plugs when you put them in. So long as the gap hasn't changed, the plugs haven't worn significantly and you can keep using them.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have had the bike since Aug of 07. I rode the bike for 4 months and put 9k on it. Is that allot of miles, well take away 3200, i drove from FL to NY and back.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh say bosch platnium with the insulator cracking and getting chunked up by the valves. Champion failing and doing the same thing.

Denso are good plugs,
but the NGK CR9EK or CR8EK being the ones to use.

Where did you get these info? Not questioning your experience here but I was thinking of using the Champion equivalent of the OEMs (irridium or not I don't know) and I'd like to know more about this. I'm sure more people would be interested in the issue. Thanks

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site
Where did you get these info? Not questioning your experience here but I was thinking of using the Champion equivalent of the OEMs (irridium or not I don't know) and I'd like to know more about this. I'm sure more people would be interested in the issue. Thanks

Um I don't know about the Champion plugs they send to Cyprus, but the ones that sell here are junk!

I say, use NGKs, Iridium or not, and you'll be fine.
-that's a damn good plug!

as for additives, there are plenty in premium fuels that negate any need for "mechanic in a bottle" type additives. Not for nothing, but acetone eats fuel hose. Try cutting a piece of fuel line and dropping it into acetone for a while... it gets squishy and melty.
Also, be very wary of those commercially available additives, as some of them contain ethanol, which is not good for the rubber either.

My suggestion: NO additives, just put premium in every thrid tank and use NGK plugs.

YFA: Why Fark Around?

Hazardous006

Reaction score
Visit site
Well you guys have any helpful tips on changing out the plugs? I spent frickin 30 minutes extracting my spark plug socket cuz they sit so deep in there.