Spare Helmet Size?

Reaction score
Visit site
So I'd like to take out friends that would like to ride on the back, but don't have a helmet. This means 85% women :thumbup:, 15% CLOSE friends like my brother, etc.

If any of you picked up an extra helmet, what size and brand did you get?

I don't want anything "women specific" but it would need to primarily fit women. Not too big for the ladies, but not too small for the occasional guy either.

I'm thinking large...?

And USED helmets, so they will be broken in already. Not looking to spend lots of cash, so I think new is out of the question (don't want poor quality), want it to actually work!

So, large? Good used brand preference? (Shoei, Fulmer, HJC...) What is your experience with this?

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
I would vote for a Large used Arai. You can always buy an extra (thicker/thinner) liner to adjust for the gender if necessary and arai run smaller so it might be just enough for a lady and comfortable enough for a dude. (sounds like a commerical I know..) :D

fazed_ya

Reaction score
Visit site
So I'd like to take out friends that would like to ride on the back, but don't have a helmet. This means 85% women :thumbup:, 15% CLOSE friends like my brother, etc.

If any of you picked up an extra helmet, what size and brand did you get?

I don't want anything "women specific" but it would need to primarily fit women. Not too big for the ladies, but not too small for the occasional guy either.

I'm thinking large...?

And USED helmets, so they will be broken in already. Not looking to spend lots of cash, so I think new is out of the question (don't want poor quality), want it to actually work!

So, large? Good used brand preference? (Shoei, Fulmer, HJC...) What is your experience with this?
Fulmar. 100$ helmet. Size 100

Reaction score
Visit site
I would vote for a Large used Arai. You can always buy an extra (thicker/thinner) liner to adjust for the gender if necessary and arai run smaller so it might be just enough for a lady and comfortable enough for a dude. (sounds like a commerical I know..) :D

That's exactly what I was thinking. However used Arais are few and far between. I'll keep my eyes peeled though

Any other brands that are "universal"?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a solid color Scorpion EXO1000 on closeout for $100 (originally a $300 helmet)...it is medium, only size they had but it has fit every woman I've had on the back (4) perfectly.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
You can get a brand new Scorpion helmet for under 100$ from sportbiketrackgear.com

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I would probably go with a new clearance helmet (like Scorpion) over a used anything.
If someone is selling a "used" helmet, it is probably either nasty stinky or "road tested." :eek: (And I would rather not put either on my head.) Just my opinion.

revapi

Reaction score
Visit site
i would never buy a used helmet if you dont know its history,you can get a new one cheap enough,id go medium

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
My spare helmets are Fulmer. The dealer was running buy one for $150 get one for a penny, so I picked up a small and XL for spare helmets.

My roommate recently sold his bike for financial reasons, so I'm considering his medium as a spare helmet for me too.

I probably wouldn't buy a used helmet unless I knew the person selling it.

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool, thanks for the info guys. I'll try to find a new one if possible. Or at least smell the used one haha!

So I guess large is too big, I'll look for a medium Scorpion