Southeast U.S.- Are you guys REALLY out of gas?

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I've read many recent accounts of gasoline shortages throughout the Southeast. It looks to be driven by fear and greed as opposed to a true fault in the delivery chain.

Anyone from that area care to comment?

Last edited:

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
there was a blip in the supply for a bit .....

Caused primarily by gas stations not wanting to fill their tanks with high price gas when crude had fallen so much. In other words they did not want to be caught holding the bag when cheaper fuel was going to be had in a few days

there was also on a separate front some price gouging

no problem anymore here in Central Florida

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know from hurricane Ike that every major refinery was shutdown for about a week here in the Houston area. These are some of the biggest one's in the world.

crusher39

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in Nashville, and there are still some problems getting fuel. Most gas stations don't have any and the few that do have some pretty long lines. One Pilot station close to my home had about a half mile long line. The governor says a few more days and everything will return to normal. But he also said we wouldn't run out right after the hurricane so we'll see.

hedmisten

handegraphix.com
Reaction score
Visit site
1 kangaroo gas chain and citgo stations around here are announcing that we have a fuel shortage. They have signs up at every pump asking you to limit your transaction to 10 gallons. Other gas stations are simply out of gas, if not, they only carry 87. Gas is down to a 3.89 average, but people are filling up everything like its going to happen all over again tomorrow.

W

wrightme43

Depending on where you go it varies from 3.86-4.09 here for low grade.
All stations are asking to vol. limit purchase to 10 gallons.

Just one more reason we NEED more refineries. They are nasty. They stink. I spent the first 5 years of my life directly across the street from Shells huge Roxanna Il. plant. But we need the damn things.
If you only let two people sell meat in a town they set the price. If there are more the consumer sets the price.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
From what I came to know there was a rumor that we will be running out of gas in a few days. People panicked (so common in this country) and started topping their vehicles causing demand >> supply so the nuisance. There were long 45-60 min lines at the gas stations that had a little left.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is it really like you described, I saw on the news that they are cancelling classes in college, and letting workers take the day off because there is no fuel. Is this an exaggeration? Can anyone post some pics on how crazy it really is? For us on the west coast, we have a very difficult time believing this, as our station's are begging for customers.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Man I feel bad for you guys. I've never had a problem getting gas, and filled up today at $3.15 a gallon. it's damn shame that I got all excited over a $3.15 price tag!

I hope you see some relief soon.

rent-a-reaper

captain caveman!
Reaction score
Visit site
I live in Clarksville TN, about 45 mins NW of Nashville. I haven't noticed any gas shortage. The stations seem busy but no half mile long lines or anything. Gas at our pilot is 3.45 a gallon but 20 feet up the road at BP it's 3.88

billk

Reaction score
Visit site
Lexington, NC...seems to be back to normal. Station by me would have regular only for a couple days, then nothing. But they have been back to normal for the last few days...reg 3.89. I have been told that the tanks in Greensboro are about empty, then another person that they are going to be full in a day or two. So who do you believe? It is crazy!

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Lexington, NC...seems to be back to normal. Station by me would have regular only for a couple days, then nothing. But they have been back to normal for the last few days...reg 3.89. I have been told that the tanks in Greensboro are about empty, then another person that they are going to be full in a day or two. So who do you believe? It is crazy!

Wow! Some one from my hometown!

Anyway, to answer the question. YES!

Well its getting better now. Here in Charlotte we have the highest ratio of people to pump. Meaning there are two many people and too little pumps.

The surge on the stations during IKE caused the tanks to empty. The momentary shut down of the lines cause the supply to get off track. Thus a wave started.

I kid you not the other day I ran out of gas in my truck and twice I was next in line when the pumps shut off... My parents brought me 15 gallons of gas down in cans from lexinton. I ran out at the last gas station in the N.Charlotte area that had gas.

The other night, there were lines at 2 am at gas stations where the tankers had just left.

Most gas stations are only carrying 87 octane. A few now have 89 and 93, but a few. I rode up to Salisbury today to fill the bike up with 93. It was the closest place I could find.

Funny how when the gov. steps in and starting putting lawsuits down against price gouging, the prices stayed down. Only a few stations were above 3.99 for 87.

Things are getting back on track slowly. Hopefully by the first of next week we will be good.

Its nuts!

-bryan