something smells like its burning when i ride

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
been 4000 km since oil change. could that be it? chain is regularly lubed along with other things like keeping oil topped up.

what could it be?

H

HavBlue

It's crap man.... Happens all the time to those that crap their pants when they hit 9,000 rpm on the FZ6 and think it's done..... It's that last 5K that gets ya.....

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
haha thanks all

and i have been practicing my engine breaking sometimes am a bit more rough than i should be could that be it?? im still thinking its the oil in need of changing? could that be it? it doesnt look too bad on the dipstick tho.

?

OkieDavid

Reaction score
Visit site
I hit a patch of fresh pothole patch the other day that tossed a couple of very small (grain of sand) sized pieces up and they settled right where the headers join together. Smelled so bad I thought I had an electrical short. Check where the headers make their first bend toward the rear under the front of the engine. I had to use a sewing needle (after the engine cooled) to get the crap out....smell went right away. Could be you've picked up something similar.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I hit a patch of fresh pothole patch the other day that tossed a couple of very small (grain of sand) sized pieces up and they settled right where the headers join together. Smelled so bad I thought I had an electrical short. Check where the headers make their first bend toward the rear under the front of the engine. I had to use a sewing needle (after the engine cooled) to get the crap out....smell went right away. Could be you've picked up something similar.

wow someone does have something usefull..... thats why I love this site... and because i can say I think its because you farted too! :rof:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
It's probably the prosecutor attorney character ahead of you with the window open burning weed. Gawd, I was waiting at a light the other week and the whole intection smelled like a rock concert. Frickin' driver---doesn't he realize that all it takes is for a squad car behind him one time and he's obvious busted? How many times have I been sitting at a light when the unmistakable high grade Mendocino designer weed cloud is drifting through the traffic?

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
haha thanks all

and i have been practicing my engine breaking sometimes am a bit more rough than i should be could that be it?? im still thinking its the oil in need of changing? could that be it? it doesnt look too bad on the dipstick tho.

?

Doesn't sound like something that happens when the oil needs changing. Do you see blue smoke come out of the pipes when you start the bike? How many miles total on the bike? When did you change the oil last? Have you checked the brakes and exhaust for anything foreign?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ill check those things out, and nothing out of exhaust on start

bought bike @3500km oil change @ 3500km, now bike @ ~7600km

ill look into that header thing as well theres a lot of new roads being built round here could be that cheers mate

farish

The Beast™
Reaction score
Visit site
do you polish the four headers?

if you do make sure u wipe off the excess wax. If not you will get that burning smell:jawdrop:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ill check those things out, and nothing out of exhaust on start

bought bike @3500km oil change @ 3500km, now bike @ ~7600km

ill look into that header thing as well theres a lot of new roads being built round here could be that cheers mate

Good luck. Please let us know what you find.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
do you polish the four headers?

if you do make sure u wipe off the excess wax. If not you will get that burning smell:jawdrop:

This is what I suspect too...if you tried using WD40 for example, and you ised some on the headers, you'll be smelling it for a few miles. White smoke may be visible too :D

farish

The Beast™
Reaction score
Visit site

dynamo-acl

Reaction score
Visit site
If u have a small engine oil leak where u cant see it would make a burning smell

If u have got some thing foreign stuck around the link pipes to the exhaust this could smell also

when u stop quickly look round the bike to see if theres any smoke at all, or smell around the bike to see waht area it come sfrom

I forgot to tighten the brake resevior after fitting cans and it melted on the link pipes, so check urs is not too close to the pipe

sifr

Reaction score
Visit site
Sadly, I discovered what the burning smell was on my new FZ6. Maybe it's what's causing yours, too.

Go out and check your radiator fan. See if it spins freely by hand with the bike off. If not, you've got a rock stuck in there.

Chances are, the burning smell was the fan's motor eating itself.

That's a $140 part. :(

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site
Does it smell like burning wood or lawn debris?

If so, it's probably just dozens of bug a$$es burning off of your pipes.
I smell it all the time when I get home.