Something for the Brits on here

H

HavBlue

FWIW, there are other sources of information regarding the American Rebellion beyond Walt Disney.:p
The romantic notion that the British Army, lined up like bowling pins in red tunics, was no match for the wily, rustic Colonials hiding behind every tree is quite false. The British Army developed regular units that could fight guerrilla warfare long before the Revolution....Roger's Rangers is a good example. During the Revolution, the British army's Butler's Rangers gave a very good account of itself. The British army's Rifle Brigade with their black tunics and rifled muskets evolved during and after the Revolution.
If you read the history of the battles during the conflict, the Continental Army really didn't do that well on its own, nor did they have all 13 original Colonies on side.
Great Britain could easily have defeated the Revolution at any point in time...what defeated the British was Opinion At Home on the war. Britain tired of the war and allowed it to fizzle out, culminating in the surrender at Yorktown, where there were more French troops and ships than American.
To keep it in perspective, look at a map of the day....Britain didn't give up that much at the time, and still had a military presence in California, Oregon and Washington right into the 19th century.
And no, you can't have General Washington's bible back. :D

I disagree, the British had a chance early on but as the war developed that chance went away. The French did offer and supply their Navy (for roughly 2 months) which England was quite surprised to find in Chesapeake harbor waiting. After losing a short battle the English fleet retreated to New York. The seige of Yorktown by combined French and American forces was conducted to meet the European standards. Without hope of reinforcement or evacuation by sea, Cornwallis surrendered his army within a few weeks. This defeat was of sufficient size for the British government to cease operations in the colonies. In a sense the war was also a civil war as not all Americans were loyal to the fight. Two years later, in 1783, England signed a peace treaty in Paris with representatives of the United States led by Benjamen Franklin. England generously ceded to the new United States all of her holdings west of the colonies to the Mississippi. She gave Florida back to Spain and kept only Canada in the north for herself. Meanwhile the Spanish expanded their claim north to include the entire west coast of North America, based on a presence in California.

As for English taxes and the crown being a burden, that's them folks fault cause they've been paying for all that dead weight far to long to change things now.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
More than anything, it was weather that won the US its independence.
After that, it was the fact we had more to lose. Once you torch the bridge you have to fight or die. The options left the Americans were, win or be hung. The options the British had, win, surrender, retreat, return to England.

Weather more than anything though. More wars have been won and lost due to weather and disease than any other cause....
the Dutch were overun by the napoleonic French forces when all their rivers and lakes froze over rendering their water defences useless :( . The Dutch's first victory in their uprising against the Spanish was in Alkmaar, this was after a long wet period, during which many windmills (how the Dutch used to drain their wet lands) had been destroyed (by the Dutch) causing extensive flooding and thus cutting off spanish supply routes.
But no we are not going to changing, to a crown colony. LOL
Now that would definately be a step backwards, in Holland only the Queens direct family get an income from the state, where as in England so do cousins twice removed .

Last edited:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
NOTICE OF REVOCATION OF INDEPENDENCE

To the citizens of the United States of America,

Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchial duties over all states, commonwealths and other territories. Except Utah, which she does not fancy. Your new prime minister (The rt. hon. Gordon Brown, MP for the 97.85% of you who have until now been unaware that there is a world outside your borders) will appoint a minister for America without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be disbanded.

A questionnaire will be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed.

To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:

1. You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary. Then look up "aluminium". Check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it. Generally, you should raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. Look up "vocabulary". Using the same twenty seven words interspersed with filler noises such as "like" and "you know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. Look up "interspersed".

2. There is no such thing as "US English". We will let Microsoft know on your behalf.

3. You should learn to distinguish the English and Australian accents. It really isn't that hard.

4. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as the good guys.

5. You should relearn your original national anthem, "God Save The Queen", but only after fully carrying out task 1. We would not want you to get confused and give up half way through.

6. You should stop playing American "football". There is only one kind of football. What you refer to as American "football" is not a very good game. The 2.15% of you who are aware that there is a world outside your borders may have noticed that no one else plays "American" football. You will no longer be allowed to play it, and should instead play proper football.

Initially, it would be best if you played with the girls. It is a difficult game. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which is similar to American "football", but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour like nancies). We are hoping to get together at least a US rugby sevens side by 2010.

7. You should declare war on Quebec and France, using nuclear weapons if they give you any merde. The 98.85% of you who were not aware that there is a world outside your borders should count yourselves lucky. The Russians have never been the bad guys. "Merde" is French for you know what.

8. July 4th is no longer a public holiday. November 8th will be a new national holiday, but only in England. It will be called "Indecisive Day".

9. All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and it is for your own good. When we show you German cars, you will understand what we mean.

10. Please tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us crazy.

Thank you for your cooperation. HRH QE2

Now that we are into stereotypes allow me to retort:
1.why would we look in the oxford dictionary? we stopped following your rules years ago. (aluminim pronounced properly just sounds stupid) If it is so innefficient how did we communicate well enough (w/the french if need be) to kick your a**es out?
2.see #1 (in case you were unaware Bill Gates is American)
3.we can tell the difference in US and what you call "propper" english. thats good enough for us.
4.good guys must have good teeth.
5.Why? Has He saved any queens yet? Ours is a song of triumph not about idolistic worship.
6.If no one else plays it why is there candian football? (have you seen the behemoths who play this game? they need their rest) We don't like your game of football because it is your's (notice a trend yet?)
7. we like a challenge with our wars the french just run. <see my last name i know
8.The day we declared ourselves independent will be observed as a worldwide holiday as soon as the bleeding heart leftists let us take over the rest of the world (only the parts that we want or we can tax)
9. I agree on the american part, but GERMAN? well they will have to send us some that aren't lemons because that is all we get. (ie; BMW stands for break me weekly here!)
10.The second gunman on the grassy knoll, hired by us to fool you.

I can't believe an american posted this. That is why we are so f**ked up. (at least i'll admit it :p)

sorry if I come off wrong i'm just patriotic :thumbup:
I still love you guys......

as for the questionaire...I dont think most would :D

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I don't mind what happens except Texas will go back to being an independent country!:thumbup:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
The point on "Football" was my favourite.

--English racecars are faster than American on any track. The F1 Mclaren is unrivaled!

until those blasted lucas electronics catch them on fire!

disclamer: i highly doubt that the almighty mclaren has lucas electronics but we are being stereotypical here! ;)

W

wrightme43

Off topic I really really enjoyed visiting England and Scotland. Very enjoyable people. The Scottish I met were hard to understand when they were drunk though.
The girls give out Christmas Kisses though, and that works in any language.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Off topic I really really enjoyed visiting England and Scotland. Very enjoyable people. The Scottish I met were hard to understand when they were drunk though.
The girls give out Christmas Kisses though, and that works in any language.

the scottish or english girls?

W

wrightme43

The Scottish girls. They rock! I am a huge fan to this day. They are just hard to understand, but I guess I was too, but it didnt really matter anyway.