Some people just deserve to enjoy their stupidity

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was semi-lucky. I was on a dual carriageway (one lane each direction), an HSV Crumpledoor tried overtaking me on a nice straight road, across double whites.
The Crumpledoor ran out of room, before the reason for the double whites, a left hand turn, and swung back in and hit the muffler/swingarm.
The back wheel swung to the left and at approximately 110kph I had the mother of all highsides. I shot onto the air as if catapulted, flew and landed, hard.

I slid for probably 100m before dipping my shoulder and going into a roll. (I honestly remember thinking 'I've seen Mick Doohan do this!'.)

As verified later, I came to stop approximately 160m from point of impact (car hitting me, not me hitting the ground). I was wearing my RJays heavy leather armoured jacket, armoured gloves, full face carbon AGV, boots and jeans. Yes, you read that right, I had jeans.....

Well, dazed as I was from rolling 100m or so, the first thing I did was stand up and survey. The bike righted itself and was laying approximately 50m up the way, on the other side of the road - in a Police Stations front yard.... (unfortunately having hit a light post laying on the ground, and the bottom of the engine was open to the world)

That was the end of my TDM850. Anyway, about 30mins later, after having given a statement etc, whilst waiting for my wife, that I discovered that when I had hit the ground on my R hip, I had road rash. I didn't think much about it at the time, but when my wife got there and we went to the hospital, I knew ALL about it then.

Apparently, there were some very deep abrasions and a lot of road debris. They said almost exactly that - I'm not going to lie, this is going to hurt...

I have never felt pain like it - there is the nurse cleaning the site with a toothbrush that felt like a wire brush dipped in acid....

Now on to the semi-lucky part. My wife is also a nurse, albeit in Aged Care, so when I got home that afternoon and for the next two weeks, SHE had the pleasure of cleaning the site with the same wire brush dipped in acid....

So, as you can well imagine, I wear leathers now....

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

Cameronhall

Reaction score
Visit site
[/QUOTE]When the nurse comes up and says "I'm not gonna lie. This is gonna hurt. A lot.", that's a bad day.[/QUOTE]

love it. i also agree with the pants. i ride with full gear minus the armored pants. of course i wear jeans but i have to get rid of my Joe Rocket race leathers. ima 36 waist and 6'3 and they are too tight and too short. any takers? PM me