Some older Yamaha pictures

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Was spelunking around the net and found this page. http://images.google.com/imgres?img...3&tbnw=150&prev=/images?q=xs+1100&gbv=2&hl=en

Interesting to see how Yamaha has changed through the years. The first bike I ever saw dyno'd was the XS1100 shaft drive. I was very impressed realizing I was standing next to a controlled bomb and if something breaks your getting shrapnel. There even an older Fazer and I've seen that model/year ridden here in SD

Later,
Cliff

Last edited:

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ahh,the old RD250,my first bike was a 1979 RD.All that fun on 30hp :D
Similar to this one.
yamaha_rd250e.jpg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Love to have one of those RD's..Had a Bridgestone 250 long time ago..

Cliff

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My Dad bought a 1978 XS1100 when I was 14.....he kept a spare key in a metal lock box that I could pick open with the handle of a pair of fingernail clipper's....then I put a popsicle stick to mark where the front tire was and un screwed the speedometer cable,and went joy riding while he was at work...:D He never could figure out why it got such bad fuel mileage... :rockon: :D I loved that bike!!! LOL

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My Dad bought a 1978 XS1100 when I was 14.....he kept a spare key in a metal lock box that I could pick open with the handle of a pair of fingernail clipper's....then I put a popsicle stick to mark where the front tire was and un screwed the speedometer cable,and went joy riding while he was at work...:D He never could figure out why it got such bad fuel mileage... :rockon: :D I loved that bike!!! LOL

Lol....nice story.

:thumbup:

motopete

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice pics, I'm on my forth yammy. I started with a 84 seca 400, then a 85 rz 350, 86 maxim X 750, and now my 07 fz6. Of course theres a honda interceper 750, a suzuki gs750ef, and a bmw r100s throwin in there as well. I still have the beemer. Only one cage tho LOL.

n3lrk

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought an XS1100 in 1979 brand new kept it for eight years. Had a blast with it. It's kind of funny that the FZ6 is faster with only half the displacement. Technology marches on.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I would expect nothing less! Hahaha!

I was 10 yrs old and used to take my dad's 54 chevy Belair at 3-4: o'clock in the morning. I would take a cushions from the couch and make myself a booster seat, scoot the seat all the way up and off I'd go. He was a tall guy and thought he was losing his mind when he went off to work and the seat was all the way forward cuz I would forget to put it back and he couldn't remember putting it that way. Then after too many times of forgetting to put the seat back he came running in one morning, through his keys down on the kitchen table and yelled "Who's been driving my car?!" Of coard he was looking at me....Busted! But you know, he was actually pretty cool about it.

Probably thought in a pinch he could send me into town for more beer....Hahaha!

Cliffy did it!:eek::rockon:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
N1one: I used to, too, own a '71 CB350 and same color. I bought it brand new and believe it was around $700. Last week, I saw some guy RIDING one in the Nevada town of Ely. Shortly afterwards in the same town, I also saw somebody driving around a 1973 Ford Pinto, my first car.

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
N1one: I used to, too, own a '71 CB350 and same color. I bought it brand new and believe it was around $700. Last week, I saw some guy RIDING one in the Nevada town of Ely. Shortly afterwards in the same town, I also saw somebody driving around a 1973 Ford Pinto, my first car.

I guess that was when vehicles were simpler to maintain and keep them running.....Other than worn mechanical internals...not much else to go wrong.....although finding a replacement magneto for an old CB350 could be difficult and/or expensive!

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would expect nothing less! Hahaha!

I was 10 yrs old and used to take my dad's 54 chevy Belair at 3-4: o'clock in the morning. I would take a cushions from the couch and make myself a booster seat, scoot the seat all the way up and off I'd go. He was a tall guy and thought he was losing his mind when he went off to work and the seat was all the way forward cuz I would forget to put it back and he couldn't remember putting it that way. Then after too many times of forgetting to put the seat back he came running in one morning, through his keys down on the kitchen table and yelled "Who's been driving my car?!" Of coard he was looking at me....Busted! But you know, he was actually pretty cool about it.

Probably thought in a pinch he could send me into town for more beer....Hahaha!

Cliffy did it!:eek::rockon:
LMAO!!! good story!! My Dad had a 55 Belair Nomad...he traded it when i was 9 for a 1971 VW bus!! I begged him not to do it,and cried as I watched the new owner drive away in it...17 years later He allmost cried when I told him he had the 55 Belair Handy man wagon which is the rarest of the Tri-5 and is worth $28,000 in rough condition...