Some observations regarding comfort...

autobahn70

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I've listened to everyone's opinions on the top saddlery seat and dropped $500 on one a month ago and I gotta say that i'm pleased with the purchase. So thanks to everyone for the info on that. Comfort is the number one pitfall of riding a motorcycle so now that I've been on it for a month, I can see 2 reasons why I would be uncomfortable going for a ride: 1. The seat itself isn't comfy enough, like sitting on a wooden bench versus sitting on a couch. 2. The slant of the seat causing your butt, and ultimately your walnuts, to slide into the tank.

I solved problem 1 by buying the top saddlery seat. But that doesn't solve problem 2. I've learned that the amount of room that your pants allow in the crotchal region, as ron bergundy would put it, has a direct effect on how comfortable you are on a ride. So if you find yourself having this problem, try wearing pants with lots of room in there. I purchased some tourmaster air textile pants. Between wearing those and having the new seat, I feel like I can ride all day. I'm gonna post pictures of the new seat soon. Its got red stitching with the fz6 logo. Looks pretty sweet

rickvan67

Junior Cheeseburger
Reaction score
Visit site
I whole heartedly agree on the "roomy" pants. I've tried riding an entire afternoon in "non-roomy" jeans and it wasn't pretty. Got me some relaxed fit Levis and been a happy camper ever since. Love to buy a new seat but not in the budget at this time.

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry a little off topic....
Didn't I see a link awhile back about raising the front of the seat? It slants down!! I have that problem sometimes also. Walnuts against the tank! I'm going to raise the front somehow. I know I'll have to carve away some nylon from the front locking part of the seat but it will be worth it.

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
I modded my own seat based on others on the forum having success with it. I widened, dished, and removed the forward slant. I bought some marine grade vinyl on Ebay, and a pneumatic stapler from Harbor Freight. I had some foam setting around that I used. For < $50, it is much more comfortable. It does not look as good as one from the pros, but it don't look *that* bad.

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
I modded my own seat based on others on the forum having success with it. I widened, dished, and removed the forward slant. I bought some marine grade vinyl on Ebay, and a pneumatic stapler from Harbor Freight. I had some foam setting around that I used. For < $50, it is much more comfortable. It does not look as good as one from the pros, but it don't look *that* bad.

Hey, I'm with you. Got a spare seat off eBay for about $30 just in case I screwed things up too badly, started carving. The end result is a dished-out, narrowed (at the front), much more comfortable seat that keeps my rear where it belongs and keeps my walnuts off the tank. I can also flat-foot the ground at a stop, which just feels better. Granted, it's custom-carved to better suit my bony butt, but be brave!! I'd never carved a seat before, but there's great advice and pics on the forum. Thanks!!

autobahn70

Reaction score
Visit site
Here are a few pictures of the Top Saddlery seat. You can see how it still slopes downward into the tank. I didnt have the heart to carve away at my new seat, although the thought did cross my mind

Seat001.jpg

Seat002.jpg

Seat003.jpg

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to have a '98 Fazer 600. The seat sloped towards the tank which caused squashed gonads pretty much every time I braked. Brake - "owww me plums!!"

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Top saddlery seat is the best purchase I have made for mine fizzer. It is a little slanted forward but way more comfortable than stock seat. Riders please stop wearing jeans as a means of ball sack comfort.
All the gear, all the time...:spank:

autobahn70

Reaction score
Visit site
I've still not seen any posts anywhere on what people think of the Top Saddlry seat for aggresive riding...Any comments???

I've heard that for aggressive riding that you may be better off with the stock seat. It is much easier to move your arse around on whereas the top saddlery seat holds you in more.

autobahn70

Reaction score
Visit site
That's a nice looking seat, but $500! Guess it might be worth it if I rode long distance. Sweet looking ride dude. :thumbup:

Ha thanks man, if I were to have purchased one of the seats they had in stock, it would have been much cheaper but they didn't have one with red stitching. If your gonna fork over that much cash, I figured I better get what I want. Plus my parents put 150 towards it for my birthday :thumbup:

ranieri

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry a little off topic....
Didn't I see a link awhile back about raising the front of the seat? It slants down!! I have that problem sometimes also. Walnuts against the tank! I'm going to raise the front somehow. I know I'll have to carve away some nylon from the front locking part of the seat but it will be worth it.

I personally find the original 04/06 seat is a much better shape than new one although its as hard as a bench.
I bought an 04 seat and use it on my 08 and much prefer it although I might fit a gel pad.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
I will agree the TS seat is not quite as well suited for agressive riding as the stock seat but the comfort is unbeatable. Watch the site for when they're selling the pre-made ones. I got mine to my door for $385. By far the best purchase for the bike!

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The stock seat on my '07 is fine for me. I've taken some pretty long rides with no problems. I wear Alpinestars Street Cargo pants over "not tight" jeans. That's one reason I bought the FZ6 vs. a crotch rocket (aptly named)...the more upright position gives Big Jim and the Twins some room.