SOHC Honda CB550 vs Honda CX500

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for a café build. Any of you guys have input on these bikes? Did you own one back in the day?

I like the class look of the cb550, but I like the v-twin shaft build like a tank of th cx500.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll bet that V-twin will have much better low end torque and valve lash adjustments will be a breeze because the cylinders are right there. I would love one of those! Not a Moto Guzzi but kind of similar in engine configuration and let's be honest, it looks like that was who they were inspired by.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
those tranverse twins that Honda made were giant pieces of crap.

however the CB550Four is a fantastic little bike. one of the perfect bikes to cafe and scoot around on.

neither bike is fast or strong, but the CB would be a lot more fun than the CX

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd do some research on parts availability. Either one is probably going to need some work. I found out with my CB750 and CB350 that parts from the 70's are hard to come by and the more cylinders you have, the more parts you're going to need. Crap gets expensive, quickly.

I like the CX500 just because it is ugly as hell and resembles some kind of inventors twisted machination. And because you don't see many of them around. There were millions and millions of CB's made and they all look similar.

Isn't the CX watercooled as well? I like watercooled....

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I had a CB550 when I was in high school. As you know it can't compare to modern bikes but it was easy to work on and very reliable. Also 4 cylinder are cool and make for a great retro cafe. So I would say the 550 is the the smart choice.

The CX is ugly and I never liked them.. but for some reason the picture you posted of it all cafe-ed out is so cool and unusual it gets my vote.

I hope you really do this project so many get started but never finish, I know from experience. Good Luck

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
those tranverse twins that Honda made were giant pieces of crap.

Every thing I read on the cx says it's a tank, and the bike with the shaft will last forever with very little work.

Can you tell me more of what to look out for on the cx?

The CB550 is on the top of the list for now.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope you really do this project so many get started but never finish, I know from experience. Good Luck

I sold my lil Ninjetta, :eek: so I'll need a bike to run quick trips, and to go to the market.

For now I'm still trying to fix my broke arm, so that gives me lots of time to do my homework on the café build.

I have to get the café bug out of my system before I get any other bike. Then the new Triumph Street Triple will be out with a 800cc.:cheer:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought this was pretty cool...

maschine3_2xl.jpg

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How hard is it to keep a bike like that on the road?

The Honda's will run with very little work, and have a ton of parts all over the country.

No idea, it's not mine, but you could build one with a 2014 boxer engine, something you can't do with either of your other choices. If parts aren't a problem then go with the Honda :thumbup:

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
No idea, it's not mine, but you could build one with a 2014 boxer engine, something you can't do with either of your other choices. If parts aren't a problem then go with the Honda :thumbup:

A 2014 boxer engine$$$$$... :eek:

Are you kidding???? ;) That's a bang nice bike , but I can do a whole build for the price of the 14 boxer engine.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, but the price difference may be a factor. Around here, a running CB that isn't more rust than steel is about $1000+. You can get an equivalent CX for $500 or so. For the extra $500, I'd rather replace the shocks and rebuild the engine and carbs. Maybe even have cash left over for something else.

On a bike that old, it's pretty likely that you're going to be in $500 for gaskets, seals, hoses, cables, fluids, etc before it's even "honestly" road worthy.

This is all assuming that you're on a budget.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
all CX5's ive ever seen are just in terrible condition (common denominator is the bike). a low displacement twin doesnt have torque like a more substantial twin, nor does it have a fun zone on top. its also a shafty-drive which means it will be even less exciting than it could otherwise be. its not a particularly sought after bike so the parts base wont be anywhere near as good as the CB.

a cafe build is in the eyes of the builder. unless its a MASTERFUL job, it will never have any kind of return, so the bike needs to be something you are proud of and will get your money's worth out of riding. its up to you what you want to build, but being different for difference's sake is daft if it isnt going to be livable. in my opinion the CB is just a far superior machine, and for a vehicle, i would pay a little extra for a better machine any day.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Going to take my time(broken arm), and find a nice CB550 for the build. My goal is a bike like the photos. I have a guy that will do the hard tuff, and I'll take care of the small task.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A 2014 boxer engine$$$$$... :eek:

Are you kidding???? ;) That's a bang nice bike , but I can do a whole build for the price of the 14 boxer engine.

The point I was making was that you could use any BMW boxer and get the same effect, but the classic SOHC Honda could be more difficult to maintain.

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
On one of the episodes of cafe racer they did a Honda 400 4 that looked and went like stink. always had a soft spot for the baby four...:thumbup:

(Not the one from the show)

$_12.JPG