Soft Luggage Bags?

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Heya dudes! I've scored an apprenticeship with the Toronto Millwright Union, and will be expected to bring with me a certain amount of tools. Having mulled the list over, I've already got half of them and the remainder don't appear to be too bulky. As such, I'm looking to find solutions for getting my tools to a job site, and I feel like some sort of luggage rack type setup would work. I'd rather go with soft, easily removable bags than hard cases due to aesthetics; are there any good quality, durable, medium sized bags that work well with our FZ6? Figured I'd check in here and get opinions before stepping into a local bike shop and buying whatever they've got there.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a set of RKA 33L expandable with new rain covers for sale. Near excellent condition. The silver piping on the left bag is barely scuffed otherwise all straps, buckles, zippers are perfect. The straps go under the seat on my FZ which I liked. The larger 50L will require the turn signals to be located further to the rear. I'm on a trip now but message me and I'll get back to you. This will save me having to list them on eBay, LOL. 70.00$+ 25 shipping

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Tools are generally heavy. Why not ship them via ground and your job might even pay for the shipping. I would ask. Leave the storage that on your bike for your clothes and essentials, including rain gear.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a set of RKA 33L expandable with new rain covers for sale. Near excellent condition. The silver piping on the left bag is barely scuffed otherwise all straps, buckles, zippers are perfect. The straps go under the seat on my FZ which I liked. The larger 50L will require the turn signals to be located further to the rear. I'm on a trip now but message me and I'll get back to you. This will save me having to list them on eBay, LOL. 70.00$+ 25 shipping
I'd be interested, although some photos and the likes would be much appreciated! I don't have much longer to acquire tools and bags, so I'm working on the clock.

Tools are generally heavy. Why not ship them via ground and your job might even pay for the shipping. I would ask. Leave the storage that on your bike for your clothes and essentials, including rain gear.
Tools aren't covered by my work, since I'm essentially getting contracted out and am expected to have my own everything. I'm able to fit almost all of my gear into my backpack as it stands - save for my helmet (which locks to the bike) and boots.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm back! For now go to the RKA website. I'm tired and frazzled as I went through the gnarliest mountain pass hail storm with cars pulling over with ice balls building up I don't know how deep because I couldn't see too well! I'll have to figure out how to post pics in the morning.

gonnacrash

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you looked at the klein tool back pack, it will hold pretty much all your hand tools to free up space in some side bags.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm back! For now go to the RKA website. I'm tired and frazzled as I went through the gnarliest mountain pass hail storm with cars pulling over with ice balls building up I don't know how deep because I couldn't see too well! I'll have to figure out how to post pics in the morning.
Those don't look too bad. The added space would be an excellent addition to the bike! Glad you're still living though, since you're a big connection for me, haha! Either attack some photos here, or upload it on imgur and provide a link!

Have you looked at the klein tool back pack, it will hold pretty much all your hand tools to free up space in some side bags.

I really like the look of that!

The tools I'm looking at needing for first year are as follows:

Tools.jpg

Nothing overly bulky. Got a few things to buy, but they're pretty common at hardware stores. Honest to god, I don't know what a Johnson Bar is supposed to be.

Last edited:

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
Great for you bro, Is there no way you can leave your tools on site just locked up? I'm in a automotive tech college at the moment and i had to borrow my girlfriends suv to transfer mine but now i keep them locked up on site so i can ride without being bulky.

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Great for you bro, Is there no way you can leave your tools on site just locked up? I'm in a automotive tech college at the moment and i had to borrow my girlfriends suv to transfer mine but now i keep them locked up on site so i can ride without being bulky.

There's a chance that certain job sites may offer such a thing, but I can't be sure. Contractual work basis means that I'll be going to many different job sites, and I don't know what type of accomodations they'll have there. I have heard of occasionally being able to leave your tools/cart on a site for the duration that you're there - but I'm going to prepare as if I'll never be able to, just in case. If I need to borrow a car or truck once in a while, I could likely arrange that, but I'm hoping to save towards winter and purchase a car. I've heard that showing up to job sites on a motorcycle is unprofessional, although I can't say I quite follow why. If you make it to work and have everything that will be required of you - I fail to see the problem in how you got there. Either way, I can't afford a car at the moment so I'll have to make due - and I've got no problem with loading a few things onto my bike and bringing them with me everywhere.

How's your bike been doing after your little wipeout recently?

Love@FirstRide

Reaction score
Visit site
oh shes fines Oct 1st I get to go to court for the guy who hit me. His careless driving ticket, being the reason. I love my bike so much. I cant put money into it until i figure it out with his insurance. Just took a trip to denver gps said 5 hours i made it in 4 oops =P

i've kinda heard the same thing about showing up on the bike. At one point i was thinking of a 2x4 cut to fit under side bags that may sag too much without it but i've used the bungee cord idea and it works well.I've got a net with 2 sets of 3 hooks on the sides for my bungies. I use this thing i got for 5 bucks and i've never needed more then it and my backpack bungee'ed over it

the seat part flips back and fourth to make it a solid bag or have a seat option.

20150821_191147.jpg

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A Johnson bar is a breaker bar :)

Lol, I was going to ask about that....

To the OP,
Those tools add up weight quickly. A couple I ideas I have might help. Givi makes a saddle bag style similar to one of the pics already shown. Also, on the ship I was stationed on, we had back packs that had many pockets, slots, and pockets for tools. These were similar to electricians back pack. Sw motech has some good stuff too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a Cortech Super 2.0 system on my bike. Never had to haul tool (with the exception of my typical roadside emergency kit) but I do use it for grocery shopping.
2014-06-16 16.08.46.jpg

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site

You ever gonna get back to me with some pics my man?

Pittmania

Reaction score
Visit site

These still available?