So. Rode a S1000RR for the first time.

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
By some act of heavenly grace I managed an "extended" demo ride on the big gun Beemer today. Forgive me for uttering this here: I am ruined for any other bike now. I may be forced to defect.

It is everything that all of the magazines, video blogs and forums say it is. Absolutely perfect manners when you want them. An absolute fire-breathing monster when you don't. The suspension is so refined and confidence inspiring-utterly stable and predictable. The brakes are superbly powerful but easy to apply. The power is everywhere in the RPM range. And it's reasonably comfortable! After 4hrs. nothing hurt but my feet, but I would live happily with that sweet pain to twist that throttle again.

I'm running out of superlatives here, so I'll cut it short with one more thing. All bikes should come with electronics this sophisticated. The machine literally fixes your mistakes before you know you've made them. Hard to quantify how much safer this makes you, but the ride is unreal!

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
I know what you mean on all that, Ive ridden my dads 2013 R1200GS a few times now and have had a chance to play on some dirt roads too, not the same style of bike by any means but very similar in the quality of the electronics like you were talking about. They share all the same technology. Every lean in feels so comfortable, I can hammer the throttle in the dirt with nothing going wrong, I can be doing 140 km/h in a matter of seconds but it doesnt feel like I even broke 60, there's tons of torque and never a feeling in the rev range like ive got a flat spot.

Unfortunately I will inevitably definitely defect from the Yamaha brand, his plan is for me to buy this bike from him in a couple of years so he can move over to an R1200RT, not that im arguing with that notion haha, Ill always have the FZ6 though, with the mileage ive racked up in a year and a half its not worth selling anymore, I will ride it to the ground and only give up when the motor is completely shot.

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
I had go with the S1000R, the roadster version of the S1000RR. Plus the head looks like a crazy terminator.

:drool:

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you ride both? I want to check out the single R, but my shop doesn't have a demo bike. Apart from the obvious, what do you think of it?

No, only did a short ride on the RR. If the reviews are as true for the RR as for the single R, then the single R is pretty much my dream bike. Should be coming to the dealership soon I hope!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ has come so close to killing me (or maybe it was the loose nut on the handlebars) that I don't dare try the S1000, R or RR.
But, I love the R1200GS I got last spring, and it's been my main ride ever since. I've promised myself to clean fizzer's chain and sell her, but it hasn't happened yet. About 15 months now. :( :spank:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It is a fine machine. I had the privilege of having it for one morning on an extended demo ride. And because of that demo ride I no longer take one. My FZ felt like a mini bike afterwards so I never ever want to experience that again until I have another bike in the garage. If I got a liter bike, that would be the one.

Champ1978

Reaction score
Visit site
All those life-saving maneuvers you learned on the FZ make the RR feel that much safer! :thumbup:

The s1000rr is one of the safest bikes you can ride. Far safer than an FZ. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't understand technology and/or hasn't ridden both.

Control is what keeps you safe and the s1000rr gives you way more control.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode my mates HP4 a couple of weeks ago, it's a amazing bike and fast as fook!! Not sure I'd want one, unless I had serious cash to burn. Not many places you could let it rip other than on a track.
Another friend has just bought the S1000R, looking forward to a go on that. Should be more useable on the road and for me a better riding position. Similar to my Speed Triple but with more bells and whistles :)

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
It is a fine machine. I had the privilege of having it for one morning on an extended demo ride. And because of that demo ride I no longer take one. My FZ felt like a mini bike afterwards so I never ever want to experience that again until I have another bike in the garage. If I got a liter bike, that would be the one.

I know the feeling. Riding away from the dealership on the FZ felt so bizarre. But reassuringly easy. Kind of like experiencing the stress of a date with a super-model, you know... enjoying the hell out of yourself for sure but minding your Ps & Qs. Then coming home to the cute girl you've known all your life.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would strongly suggest you go to the BMW sites and do some research on the bike (any bike actually your looking at) and see what issues, if any, there are...

BMW likes to use one time only fasteners (extremly expensive) for some things that really aren't necessary(ie clutch cover bolts, etc). There were issues with their CCT (not sure about this model) as some used strictly oil pressure to activate the CCT. Works great except when starting(low oil pressure), the chain tended to jump a tooth. The fix was a chain guide (not covered by warranty) to keep the chain from jumping.

Also remember, the more electronic's you have on a machine, if you keep the bike past warranty (or for a longer time) when something goes out, Much more expensive. For instance, on the new 2014 FJR with ELECTRONIC suspension, if you had to replace the rear shock out of warranty, its $6,000 alone.. Same goes for all the additional electronic goodies.. Just something to consider.

Switch Gear Failure # 2 - I-BMW.com (non start issues, qwon't start if sitting in the sun, switch failures, etc)..

S1000 RR - I-BMW.com

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Rode S1000RR on track.. amazing machine for sure. I wouldn't buy one, but it is outstanding.

Something to keep in mind: Any full-on sport, liter bike is going to feel like it has the most amazing suspension, coming from FZ6. Same goes for power and brakes.

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
Rode S1000RR on track.. amazing machine for sure. I wouldn't buy one, but it is outstanding.

Something to keep in mind: Any full-on sport, liter bike is going to feel like it has the most amazing suspension, coming from FZ6. Same goes for power and brakes.

Just curious why you wouldn't buy one if you could. Is it the expense of maintenance/parts? Dependence on electronics? What would you have instead?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious why you wouldn't buy one if you could. Is it the expense of maintenance/parts? Dependence on electronics? What would you have instead?

I can't ride any full-on sport bike on the street for more than 30 minutes without major discomfort. My opinion is that those bike are built for the track and that is where they belong. On the street, they're uncomfortable and have awful turning radius. And I wouldn't buy one for the track because it's silly-expensive.

I would be much more likely to get the streetfighter version, but still wouldn't.. BMW bikes score lowest in quality (that's right.. Harley has fewer issues than BMW :rof: ) and are very pricey to maintain if you go the dealer route.

It's just not necessary, in my opinion. Seriously, try any other liter sport bike.. Gixxer is a fantastic machine for less money with far better reliability.

Champ1978

Reaction score
Visit site

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't ride any full-on sport bike on the street for more than 30 minutes without major discomfort. My opinion is that those bike are built for the track and that is where they belong. On the street, they're uncomfortable and have awful turning radius. And I wouldn't buy one for the track because it's silly-expensive.
<--apologies

I can see that. BMW is still a luxe brand, and you pay for the badge. And I agree that the track is about the only place you can use it to it's full potential. Riding it on the street is like using a scalpel to split an apple. Would hate to dump one at the track and pay for new bodywork (or worse).

Last edited: