Snatchy Throttle Issue

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
Every bike on the road seems to have these issues now with FI

its just to dam sensitive for bikes, give me back carbs:rockon:

And give up cleaner air and 20% better mileage? Not me, I'll keep buying bikes with FI thankyouverymuch. Personally I don't think it's a FI problem. We've had FI on normal cars for at least 30 years. My '75 Opel Manta (German made) had excellent FI. Only problem it had was keeping rubber fuel hoses from leaking at that high pressure. Had to replace them every 3 years - or else!

I do agree with with the OP on this... there is at least a little bit of a problem. It might be the TPS. TPS and "fly-by-wire" is relatively new for bikes (virtually unknown on anything but F1 cars?). Personally I think they programmed the computer to stop fuel delivery a little too abruptly rather than smoothing it out a bit at the cost of mileage / emissions. But then - my GSXR was a bit snatchy and it had regular throttle cables. If it's a programming problem then maybe Yamaha can send out an update to fix it... or send us all PC III's. Class action suit anyone?... :justkidding:

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey James, You know you can take out the slack at the handlebar end of the cable without using any tools. There are 2 rings where the cable enters the handlebar, one to adjust and one to hold the adjusting ring in place, just loosen the holding ring and turn the adjusting ring until you have your required amount of slack, then tighten the holding ring again. I have about half a millimeter of slack on mine, Yamaha recommend about 3mm.

Just to add... Make sure after removing the slack that you start up the engine and move the handlebars fully to the left and fully to the right. If the REV's go up at all, you have removed too much slack.
Thanks...
It helped me out to adjust throttling slack..

ZünRob

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally unplugged one of the battery terminals last night. Yes, the throttle control is a lot smoother. When I reconnected the battery and started the bike I could actually hear the bike adjusting as I watched the RPM gradually stabilize at around 1100 RPM. It felt as if my riding improved this morning too.

Guess you've unplugged the battery when the bike was cold? I'm thinking about unplugging the battery too, to see if it will smoothen the throttle response. But wouldn't it be better to unplug the battery when the bike is on operating temperature?

Edit: what does exactly happen when you "reset" the ECU, which parameters are changed?