Slip slidin' away

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I had an "interesting" incident on my FZ6 today. Coming home from work on I95 North from Baltimore I came up to the toll booth. I have M-Tag so was in the express lane. Lots of traffic, as usual, so there were plenty of cars around. I slow down to about 10mph as I pass through and start to accelerate in 2nd gear. The application of throttle was gentle as there was still a car in front of me. Just as I did my rear tire skids to the right and then to the left. It felt like wet ice. Somehow I stayed upright and continued on. I was VERY careful to go easy as I was concerned there might me slippery stuff still on my tire.

Funny thing was I was calm all through it. My heart rate did not even go up a beat. Maybe all the years riding bicycles, road and mountain, have honed my balance.

When I got home I checked things out. Half the tire had some dried brown stuff on it as did the underside of the hugger and part of the muffler. Seems to be old oil as near as I can tell. I used some degreaser to remove the leftovers. Be careful out there!

Tim

n3lrk

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
cars leak all kinds of crap when stopped to pay the troll. I have had a little slip and slide at that same toll booth myself

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yikes! Thanks for the heads up!
If / when that happens to me, I hope to keep my cool like you did.. I too have lots and lots of bicycle experience, but only about a year of moto experience (after a loong break).

Cmayer31

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Visit site
Were you riding in the center of the lane when you experienced the rear slip out? I try my best to stay just off center most of the time, but especially when stopped at an intersection or any place where cars are often stopped. I always see random puddles of oil, antifreeze, and unidentified slippery substances in the middle where cars often stop. :eek:

Last edited:

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
Were you riding in the center of the lane when you experienced the rear slip out? I try my best to stay just off center most of the time, but especially when stopped at an intersection or any place where cars are often stopped. I always see random puddles of oil, antifreeze, and unidentified slipper substances in the middle where cars often stop. :eek:

I most likely was. Usually I stay out of the center, especially when stopping at intersections. I think I just naturally ride through the center of the toll booth lane, a habit I think I am about to break. I would love to have seen the face of the guy behind me. I'm sure he thought I was going to wreck right in front of him. It was not a small skid, the bike REALLY fishtailed!

Tim