Slight misfire

ranieri

Reaction score
Visit site
Since fitting the Scorpions Ive noticed the bike has been a bit lumpy low down in the rev range and lately its more noticeable .I did not un-plug the battery after fitting as some of you seem to have done,do you think I need to to set the ECU or whatever its called?

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
Since fitting the Scorpions Ive noticed the bike has been a bit lumpy low down in the rev range and lately its more noticeable .I did not un-plug the battery after fitting as some of you seem to have done,do you think I need to to set the ECU or whatever its called?

A bit of back firing generally is the case when you install the Scorps. Happened on mine as well, and to be honest, I love it. If you don't then yes resetting the ECU (engine control unit) is advisable. You just need to unplug the battery connectors for a few seconds and then reconnect.

Another cause of backfiring is gaps in the pipes during installation. Make sure your connections are sealed properly and there is no air leaking from the clamps or joints. If you do see any leaks then some exhaust sealant should help you seal those off. Costs like $2 at any auto store.

If that still doesn't help then look in to the thread about adjusting the CO settings to enrich the AF ratio. This is the cheaper way to go about it if you don't want to spend money on a power commander and a custom dyno run.

Again, many people notice the back firing and some love the scorps (me included) more because of this.

-Manas.

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
Also, the above response was assuming the fact that you started noticing the misfiring/backfiring after you installed the scorps. If you are due for spark plug replacement then worn spark plugs might also be the case for you. You can check for spark plug wear, there are tons of threads on the forum that can help you to inspect and/or replace spark plugs. Good luck :thumbup: