sleeper FZ

DecepticonDon

Reaction score
Visit site
I have told many people that my 05 fz6 is fast enough with exhaust/air filter pcIII, but my father is an old school hot-rodder. I told him that he polluted my young mind with chevy small block horsepower. I am looking into the je piston 637 kit because I believe in the power of a sleeper FZ6. Not many sportbikers know what it is, nor do many R6 owners know of the shared engine block. Rider skill is an important factor, as many sportbikers I've talked with are "grip twisters" i.e. that is their only skill, they don't know squat about clutch control, or things like where their peak HP is in the revs. Wringing the FZ's neck, I ran 7.242 in the 1/8, but there is not a 1/4 locally. With the 46t sidewinder tri-metal sprocket installed and 520 chain, I'm going back. Although the new r6 has shorter stroke larger diameter cylinder, the block is the same. It is plausible that someone could buy a salvage 06-08 r6 engine, bore and replate the fz eng, swap the head and other essentials, keep the stock injection, the clutch i believe will work, the clutch pull lever goes into the bottom on the case on an r6, top on the FZ6, but the orientation should not matter since the shaft is poking out the center of the clutch.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have told many people that my 05 fz6 is fast enough with exhaust/air filter pcIII, but my father is an old school hot-rodder. I told him that he polluted my young mind with chevy small block horsepower. I am looking into the je piston 637 kit because I believe in the power of a sleeper FZ6. Not many sportbikers know what it is, nor do many R6 owners know of the shared engine block. Rider skill is an important factor, as many sportbikers I've talked with are "grip twisters" i.e. that is their only skill, they don't know squat about clutch control, or things like where their peak HP is in the revs. Wringing the FZ's neck, I ran 7.242 in the 1/8, but there is not a 1/4 locally. With the 46t sidewinder tri-metal sprocket installed and 520 chain, I'm going back. Although the new r6 has shorter stroke larger diameter cylinder, the block is the same. It is plausible that someone could buy a salvage 06-08 r6 engine, bore and replate the fz eng, swap the head and other essentials, keep the stock injection, the clutch i believe will work, the clutch pull lever goes into the bottom on the case on an r6, top on the FZ6, but the orientation should not matter since the shaft is poking out the center of the clutch.
That sounds very exciting and way beyond my technical knowlege. Good luck with it.
nelly

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Let me know if you do the J&E kit. The plan you thinking of is kind of what I've been thinking about. I haven't gone any further than look up part numbers.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site

it is plausable... with enough cash. one thing you may want to look at is the location of mounting points on the two blocks. I know the frame's are different so I assume the motor mounts may be in different places. (wait I just re-read that and you said you are using the fz block correct? then nevermind the mount thing.) and the r6 has a slipper clutch which may cause some issues also. I dont know how much the heads actually differ but it may be cheaper to port and polish the fz heads and just get R6 cams. and as some added insurance how about a "sneeky pete" NO2 bottle hidden somwhere to make sure it is a defined "kill"? good luck sounds like a cool project. would you modify the exhaust? then keep the stock exhaust covers and cover it up for that true "sleeper" look...... and all flat black! Yeah! :thumbup:

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know it doesn't actually fit in the "sleeper" category, but my mate at work want's me to turbo my fazer.
I am really happy with the bike as it is... stock... (just happy that the missus let me have a bike...lol)
Anyway, my mate says that you could put a turbo with a small amount of boost without doing anything to the motor at all. His estimates (he is a maintenance guy at work, but is building a "sleeper Datsun" on the weekends), $1100 for the turbo fitting and running. I have been looking at a set of exhaust's, and they will cost me $900 + fitting... still considering the turbo though. Especially after reading the lastest copy of Rapid Bikes
Where this guy bought a wrecked R1, rebuilt it and slapped a turbo on it.. 9lb's of boost, stock motor, think it produced 268HP... droool ;)

:)