Signaling

When you signal, your general intent to the driver in that lane is:

• I'm not asking permission. I'm coming in. Make the necessary adjustments.

Votes: 80 37.2%
  • I'd like to come in your lane. I'll give you a couple seconds to think about it.

Votes: 110 51.2%
  • Please sir/madam, I'd like to join you in your lane. Would you be a dear and let me in?

Votes: 19 8.8%
  • Signal? WTF is that?

Votes: 6 2.8%

• Total voters

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
I voted #1 "not asking permision" but in the same note I don't change lanes in a way that someone else has to alter the way they are driving.

W

wrightme43

I didnt vote because it all depends to me.

The best have read it put was I think by Nick Ienatsch. Claim space like a Mack truck, yield like a bicycle. LOL

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I will look to see if I have a safe place to go, then give it a few seconds to see if the drivers are paying attention, then go. I drive big trucks for a job and I have a healthy respect for all that metal hurtling down the road. "I will die if they hit me." is my motto, so I stay the he!! out of their way. :thumbup:

Crotalus

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it depends on the situation. I answered number 2, but on the highway I simply acclerate past the cars in the slow lane, signal for a few seconds and get into the slow lane for my exit. I do this miles before the exit so that it's not a last second thing.
I don't do much city driving, so all this is easy. Inside the city acclerating ahead of everyone is easy to get to the lane you need. I don't excessively speed inside the city, just out acclerate the cars from a stop light.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I try to move through traffic so I won't make anyone have to change what they're doing already. I signal when my move might affect what they're doing later on, otherwise, I just leave the button alone.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it depends on the situation. I answered number 2, but on the highway I simply acclerate past the cars in the slow lane, signal for a few seconds and get into the slow lane for my exit. I do this miles before the exit so that it's not a last second thing.
I don't do much city driving, so all this is easy. Inside the city acclerating ahead of everyone is easy to get to the lane you need. I don't excessively speed inside the city, just out acclerate the cars from a stop light.

I watched a guy weave in and out of 3 lanes of heavy traffic just to get 3 cars ahead. Then he cut off 2 cars as he jumped 2 lanes for his exit.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i'm very careful on my bike.i turn on my blinker then turn my head to make sure i don't have a car or another bike coming at high speed in the lane i'm merging too.when i'm going to turn on to another street at an intersection i allways look for someone trying to beat me to it via an intersection.just to many way's to get run over out there i'm allway's cautious.

The Pheasant

Reaction score
Visit site
Use indicators to indicate in good time to other road users what you intend to do, assuming it is safe to do so. Ie., no need to indicate when there is no one around, no point if you have left it so late that indicating will make no difference to the outcome...

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i always put my blinker on, look, tilt my head and if there is no car i go in, if there is and it doesn't see me or doesn't move, i downshift hit the throttle and blast past them, and then take my blinker off.

Brandad

Reaction score
Visit site
From my perspective, there's a difference in signaling for regular traffic and signaling for crawling, congested traffic.

Almost always, I ride as if I'm invisible. I expect cars won't see me and ride accordingly. So normally I'm only changing lanes when there's clearly the appropriate amount of room to do so. I will signal to increase my visibility to other drivers, but normally that is only to let them know that I intend to change lanes, and now here I come. No permission required.

In bigger cities, the offramps or even the slow lanes will slow to a crawl during rush hours. Cars will be just a few feet behind each other. In this case, I will find the biggest gap, signal as a means to show my intent and as a way to ask the other driver to slow down and widen the gap. I probably could have squeezed in, but it's far more courteous to use the signal to get permission in this case.

B

bluenova

Interesting poll.

I'm originally from England, where you signal and wait a moment and someone will make a hole for you (most of the time). I just got back from a weekend in Blighty and it was so refreshing to see people giving each other respect, like moving from lane 1 to lane 2 when passing a slip road to let the traffic join.
I now live in Belgium, if you were to just signal you would be waiting for ever for someone to give you room, people would be flying passed you thinking 'why has that guy got his indicator on and not moving'. Your only option is to barge your way in, it's expected.

Personally I voted '2'. I will indicate my intension and after a moment if I'm not going to cause anyone the need to brake I will move. On the bike it's so easy to accelerate into a space without pissing off other road users, in the car that's not so easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bluenova

One thing to remember (between the UK and US at least) is that in the UK traffic in the fast lane has priority over the slower lane, so you can legally barge from lane 3 to lane 2 but not from lane 2 to lane 3. How does that work in the US where you can overtake in any lane?

Wombat1940

Have bike, will travel
Reaction score
drop.io
In Oz the signal is for showing you want to change lanes ,it doesn't give you the right to change lanes.In Adelaide the bloody cages just try and speed up to block you anyways.

In a heavy vehicle it's a different story,you are obliged by law to let them in.

Same in Melbourne although don't know about obligation by law bit. Can you direct me to where it says this?

Sightly digressing:

Quote: " ........... I ride like I own my space. In other words on a four lane road I ride next to the dashed white line, the inside of the lane, not the outside. I try to dominate my space, if not, you get run over. This holds true with the bicycle too. If you clammer to the edge people will not see you, ignore you, not respect you if you will. ..............."

When going for your licence instruction in Oz you are taught this. As a caged driver I never new this and nor do 90% of other caged drivers.
Its the most important rule for all m'cyclist, but can lead to huge anger to motorist. They want us on the left of OUR line so they can squeeze past. :spank:. At every speaking opportunity, whether I'm address issues relating to "How to grow Roses" or The best sxx positions for Geriatrics" , I put in my bit in about "My Space as a M'cyclist"

Last edited:

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
One thing to remember (between the UK and US at least) is that in the UK traffic in the fast lane has priority over the slower lane, so you can legally barge from lane 3 to lane 2 but not from lane 2 to lane 3. How does that work in the US where you can overtake in any lane?

In California you are allowed to pass on the right but it "shall not relieve the driver of a slow moving vehicle from the duty to drive as closely as practicable to the right hand edge of the roadway."

Theoretically you should rarely ever pass someone on the right.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride like I own my space. In other words on a four lane road I ride next to the dashed white line, the inside of the lane, not the outside. I try to dominate my space, if not, you get run over. This holds true with the bicycle too. If you clammer to the edge people will not see you, ignore you, not respect you if you will.

Interesting. I see your point, but I don't think think that's the safest position. On the fwy, I assume you are riding in the fast lane. In that case, I almost always ride in the far left edge, near the shoulder/yellow line. That gives me nearly a whole lane of space before they make contact if someone tries to come into my lane. If you ride near the white line on the right, you're in an accident if someone veers into your lane - no time to react to it.

I do find that people are more likely to tailgate me if I ride on the far left of my lane - probably with the intention of passing me while "sharing" that lane with me. If I see someone doing that, I go to the middle of the lane.

I do recognize that being the far left of the fast lane, that it is harder for cars in front and to my right to see me in their rear view mirror. I still feel that the extra 8 feet of space between me and the car on my right is more valuable than the possibilty that that car has more awareness of me.

I see other riders in the same position as me, or sometimes in the middle of the lane. I can't recall seeing anyone ride near the right edge of the lane.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting. I see your point, but I don't think think that's the safest position. On the fwy, I assume you are riding in the fast lane. In that case, I almost always ride in the far left edge, near the shoulder/yellow line. That gives me nearly a whole lane of space before they make contact if someone tries to come into my lane. If you ride near the white line on the right, you're in an accident if someone veers into your lane - no time to react to it.

I do find that people are more likely to tailgate me if I ride on the far left of my lane - probably with the intention of passing me while "sharing" that lane with me. If I see someone doing that, I go to the middle of the lane.

I do recognize that being the far left of the fast lane, that it is harder for cars in front and to my right to see me in their rear view mirror. I still feel that the extra 8 feet of space between me and the car on my right is more valuable than the possibilty that that car has more awareness of me.

I see other riders in the same position as me, or sometimes in the middle of the lane. I can't recall seeing anyone ride near the right edge of the lane.

I agree, depending on the circumstance. When I'm in the fast lane, and coming up to pass a car in the slow lane - I start off in lane position 3, near the dotted whites to let them see me, and as i begin to pass i shift to lane position 1 to allot the most time possible if they veer into my lane or didn't see me. Sometimes at night I even ride in the fast lane, lane position one (far left) with my left turn signal on. The flashing light catches people's eyes. Keeping in low gear and high RPMs helps being heard - giving other motorists awareness of my presence.

I try to get the best of both worlds. I want time to react, and I want people to see me. I am always trying to ride in the most visible spots, constantly flashing my high beams, honking my horn, changing lane positions - to any other motorists.

I still always assume i am invisible though.

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't vote because none of the answers really fit for me. I signal and merge the same on my bike as in my car. First, I find an open spot, then I signal and merge. I'm not asking for permission as I've already found a spot and nobody needs to make adjustments for the same reason.