Signal Troubles...

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got my front signals in the mail today.. I was pretty excited until i saw that the new ones wont fit the bracket.. so I will have to make a plate or something for it to mount on. Also... The stock blinkers have 3 wires while the new ones have 2.. what do I do here??

Coskie

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I think that I'll need a bit more information to fully answer this question. First, link me to the product that you bought so I can do a little research.

As far as the wires go, your stock blinkers have 3 wires: Hot (1), Hot (2), and Ground. Hot (1) is for the blinky part of the signals, Hot (2) is for keeping the lights on as running lights, and Ground is just that. If you want to use your signals just for the blinky blinky then you're all set. Wire Hot (1) to the hot terminal on the blinker and you're all set! If you want to use them as running lights AND turn signals, it requires a bit of modification, but let me know and I'll dig up something to help : )

Coskie

S

soul2coal

I used flat washers as spacers when I installed mine. I painted them flat black.
As coskie said, your bike came from the factory with signals that use a dual filament bulb ( one for the signal, one for the running light). You bought single filament replacement signals. You can use them, you just won't have the running light feature. Below is the link to the thread I posted. If I didn't copy the link right, you can search for it under fz6 mods, 5/13/08 MATT

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/4725-08-front-signals-installed.html

coursonap

Reaction score
profile.myspace.com
I think you will be just fine they make turn signal adapter plates you can order them at your local MC shop or do a search for them I have them on the front of mine they look good. I just used the turn signal feature in my led turn signals it doesnt need parking lights.:rockon:

Coskie

Reaction score
Visit site
Lattin, I'd still like more information about your turn signals. Even if they are single filament (if they use an incandescent bulb) or LED you can still make them operate as both, but like I said earlier, they would use a bit of creative wiring.

Let me know if you would like more information.

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230274483013>

Thanks, I'll see what I can come up with.... Im a little mad that it doesnt fit right when it says they should but oh well.

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow so now that I'm trying to get the wiring to work... none of my signals work anymore!! my hazards dont work, neither turn signals work. the indication in the gauge isnt even blinking... what am i doing wrong?? I cut the connector off the old signal and connected it to the new ones and now nothing works.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you only had two wires come off the new assembly, they were meant for the rear, not the front. You need to get the proper ones for the front which should come with three wires, ground or common, signal, and marker.

a_sick1

2004 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
if your signals and indicator dont work, your flasher unit blew up... happens sometimes when you switch to leds.
hope this helps.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds to me like you blew a fuse...check your fuse box under the right side pod under the seat.
You can install "2 wire" flashers in the front on an FZ6; they just won't operate as running lights like the OEM signals without some "creative wiring". After installing my Watsens (I chose the 2-wire Watsens) I installed the R1 pod lights into my headlights and use them as amber running lights. Looks pretty cool, too. :) Biker_ Dude 43's excellent headlight wiring harness gets both headlights on as well on low beam, so I have just as much (if not more) frontal visibility to other road users as before the lighting mods were installed.

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the same thing yesterday on my truck trying to put a trailer brake controller in. I cut the wires shorted them out and blew the fuse. Good chance you had this happen i you didn't unhook your battery.

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys... still nothing. Checked my fuses and they are all fine. I'm still lost. Pretty damn frustrated too.. wired up the old headlight and nothing.. what could it be? nothing works. also... has anyone put resistors in the signal circuit to slow down the timing? thanks

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
parking lights dont work, signals dont work... headlights and tail works. fuses are good. i am so lost... help!!!

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
parking lights dont work, signals dont work... headlights and tail works. fuses are good. i am so lost... help!!!

So..., did you figure out your problem? If not, a couple of questions. Are these new signal lights LED's? Does the tail light and the license plate light still work? If not, remove your signal lights from the wiring and see if the plate and taillight work now. If not, then recheck your "tail fuse".

Let's us know what you've discovered.