Showing ID Card while on a bike (Military, etc)

Herkguy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hiya,

New rider. Having lots of fun on the FZ6, especially the mods. So far have the G2 throttle tube and OES frame sliders, with Motogiro's headlight mod in the mail!

Anyway I digress. I commute to work on an Air Force base and still don't have a good way to show my ID card at the front gate without slowing down traffic by taking off gloves, pulling out card, etc.

Anyone have a battle tested way of doing this? Thanks.

fazed_ya

Reaction score
Visit site
Do they have to put their hands on it? If not most tank bags have a clear plastic window for maps you could slide it in

And thank you for your service

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have one of those Hi vis vests? I have an Icon Hi Vis vest and it has a velcro ID pocket on the front. You can just pull it off show it and stick it back on. :D

Edit: Yes! Thank you for your service!

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Most of the military guys i knoow have to wear the high vis vest on base and it has a id pocket that comes off like motogiro said :)

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
More options: arm/leg band holder ... lanyard ... jacket with sleeve pocket

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Icon hi-vis yellow vest(comes in orange too). It has a sleeve for your i.d. on the left breast. Not sure if its military wide, but the CG changed it from required to recommended. I still wear it due to the fact its hi-vis and I dont have to take my helmet and gloves off to verify.

And Thank You for your service!:rockon::thumbup:

S

Shamus McFeeley

Try one of these:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Small-Waterproof-ID-Holder-00411/dp/B005LVG37W"]Amazon Link[/ame]

Use some para cord as a laynard, you'll never have to worry about it falling out or off. I've used the same one for 3 years. You can also work it one handed, even with gloves on.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Try one of these:

Amazon Link

Use some para cord as a laynard, you'll never have to worry about it falling out or off. I've used the same one for 3 years. You can also work it one handed, even with gloves on.

:thumbup: Good call on the Witz dry cases. Small one ("see it safe") is good for a few cards. I use a medium one ("keep it clear") under the seat to hold registration/insurance papers, a small flashlight, and a mini tire pressure gauge. It fits perfectly under the strap where the manuals were originally, next to the tool kit. REI has them, too.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Witz-Keep--Clear-Case-Medium/dp/B001P5ZZ1S/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1323724964&sr=1-1-catcorr"]Amazon.com: Witz "Keep-It Clear" Dry Case, Medium: Office Products[/ame]

(See the reviews at that link -- if it survives a prison shower fight, you know it's got to be good. :BLAA: )

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Four years ago I assembled a small sleeve out of 1/8" model aircraft plywood, carefully varnishing the inside before I glued it together (for waterproofing) and then painting the outside and gluing it to the handlebar clamp. I had designed it precisely to have just a little bit of drag on the card, so it wouldn't blow out, and I even carved a round semicircle in it for a thumb grip.
I could pull out my ID with gloves still on, and actually got thru the gate faster than most cars; every cop who saw it loved it and had to ask where I got it!
Well, not even a month later, not even a f&^$@@! month later, some bureaucrat on base decided we also had to show our MSF or equivalent "safety" card, which of course wouldn't fit in the slot and made the whole project useless. DAMN I hate safety la-dee-dah bureaucrats!!! :Flip: :Flip: :Flip:

Now I have a Bags Connection tank bag permanently mounted to the bike, and it has a small zippered pocket in the back, so I just put both cards in there and again can remove them with gloves on.

EDIT: Guess a pic would make it clearer:
_DSC0027.jpg

Last edited:

Herkguy

Reaction score
Visit site
Botch that is awesome, wish I was handier. Thanks for the replies guys, forgot I made this post until I drove to work today and had the same issue! I have the holder on my ICON vest but most of the gate guards want you to take the card out so not sure it would work, maybe they have sympathy on motorcycle riders.

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
A lot of great ideas here. I usually just put the card in the front pocket of my jacket and make sure it's zipped up. When I pull up to the gate, I put the bike in neutral, unzip the pocket, grab the card (it needs to be the only item in the pocket), show the card, and then put it back in the pocket and make sure I zip the pocket back up. I added a longer pull to the jacket pocket so I can grab it easier with my glove still on.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just keep mine in the front pocket of my tank bag. The hassle is when the gate guard wants me to take my helmet off.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Even though that I do not have to show my ID to a guard to enter, I do have to wear it while I'm at work. I rather wear it around my arm rather than using a lanyard so it won't get caught on anything or flap around. And since I physically do not have to scan the card (scans by placing card over reader) I never have to pull my badge out of the holder.

If the guard doesn't need to physically hold and touch your card, a simple high visibility reflective arm badge holder might work, as others have suggested. I have extras if you like one. Let me know. The armband is adjustable and is velcroed, it's large enough to go over my jacket sleeve with armour.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Even though that I do not have to show my ID to a guard to enter, I do have to wear it while I'm at work. I rather wear it around my arm rather than using a lanyard so it won't get caught on anything or flap around. And since I physically do not have to scan the card (scans by placing card over reader) I never have to pull my badge out of the holder.

If the guard doesn't need to physically hold and touch your card, a simple high visibility reflective arm badge holder might work, as others have suggested. I have extras if you like one. Let me know. The armband is adjustable and is velcroed, it's large enough to go over my jacket sleeve with armour.

I use a similar one but white and it has an adjustable elastic band instead of Velcro.

Once I went to work without it and I had to remove my glove in order to open the zipper of the jacket to get the ID out, indeed it took me much longer that barely stop and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7.62fmj

Reaction score
Visit site
I have my security pass attached to a Kevlar coiled lanyard. Got it from a dive shop. It's attached to a loop inside the breast pocket of my winter jacket. I attach it to the size adjuster (the velcro or press stud things) of my leather or fabric summer jackets and stick it in the side pocket. It can never be dropped.

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
For a while, I utilized the method of keeping it in the left hand jacket pocket. Adding a key chain to the zipper pull makes it really easy to operate with gloves on. Then I ended up buying one of the arm bands with elastic bands, but that ended up being even slower than my pocket. So, I ended up cutting off the elastic bands and the top portion of the plastic ID card sleeve so that my ID card stuck out. Then I covered it in electrical tape, put velcro on the back of the sleeve and also a piece under the windscreen by the instrument cluster. Easy to slip out the ID to give to the guard and be on my way again without having to take off any gear. Cheap, easy, and a bit tacky but it works I guess.

sQuijeW

Reaction score
Visit site
dont worry about holding up the line.

1) pack your id deep in one of your bags
2) when you get asked for your ID, turn off your bike and take off yoru helmet and gloves.
3) dismount your bike and proceed to slowly look through your bag
4) find your id and show it to the person
5) replace your id back into the bag and take your time to put all yor gear back on
6) get back on your bike and turn it on and be on your merry way

by now, there should be a long long line waiting and the person at the gate will have been uncomfortable with you holding up the line and will be sure to remember your face and more importantly your bike. do this enough times and you will not have to show ID anymore :)

to make the results quicker, do this with a whole lot of motorcyclists with you to make a point

problem solved not for just you, but everyone on a motorcycle. good riding

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a side note of caution on all the suggestions - make sure whatever option you choose is also easy to remember to take your badge with you when you take off your jacket/lanyard/custom holder/etc.

I'm a routine type of guy. Need keys/phone/wallet/sunglasses/work badge/etc in the right place every day or I forget them. For instance, since I got a bike, my whole 'stuff' world has been turned upside-down because getting ready in the morning just isn't the same. I've lost two house keys so far because they're not on my key ring any more.

My wife is not amused. Your supervisor will not be amused if you leave a military ID somewhere.