Show us your Hobby room ! (-:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually, my brother in law and I (we own the boat together) happen to be quite good at keeping the boat moving in little wind. We solved the "little wind riddle" three years ago and now know where to sit, how to trim the sails and rigging and how to "hunt for wind". We usually beat our sister boat in light wind conditions. The other captain has owned his boat for 20 years, we have clocked only four years in ours. Still we outsail him.
About 10 years ago I used to sail in the compititions at my sailing club, and there were a couple of the guys who would always win in the lighter winds, they really knew all the tricks. BTW I sail centaurs its not the same as a yacht, but it's great fun.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the 2011 season for the both of us. :thumbup:

Finding time for sailing has become my dilemma too. When I met my girlfriend I told her that my sailing was sacred and that all wednesdays and sailing weekends was untouchable during the sailing season. Now I have two girls, 10 months and 4.5 years old. The 2010 season was not really up to par regatta wise. I only logget about 10 regattas, while previous years have seen 20-25 regattas.

I can actually feel it on my body if I don't sail for a month during summer. I get restless and grumpy. :(

Unfortunately my wife gets sea sick quite quickly, but luckily my daughters (6 & 8) don't seem to have this problem, and they enjoyed themselves the few times we sailed last season. :thumbup:

I used to sail a lot before the kids came a long, but maybe I can now use them as an excuse to go more often :rockon: the only slight downside is they don't like it if there's too much wind :(

Last edited:

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
About 10 years ago I used to sail in the compititions at my sailing club, and there were a couple of the guys who would always win in the lighter winds, they really knew all the tricks. BTW I sail centaurs its not the same as a yacht, but it's great fun.

The Centaur looks like a fun boat, and a it is beautiful design. We don't have that exact brand here in Norway, but we have similar types. Our boat is a 27 years old Swedish design (Comfortina 32). It's cheap for the size and "sailability", and we are really enjoying sailing it.

Unfortunately my wife gets sea sick quite quickly, but luckily my daughters (6 & 7) don't seem to have this problem, and they enjoyed themselves the few times we sailed last season. :thumbup:

I used to sail a lot before the kids came a long, but maybe I can now use them as an excuse to go more often :rockon: the only slight downside is they don't like it if there's too much wind :(

Use the kids for all they are worth. :) Anything to go sailing. And remember, sailing in little wind is better than not sailing at all. ;)

Now I will shut up, before I am accused of hijacking this thread. :(

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
Not exactly a *room*, but this does show most of my hobbies :D

18534d1246065962-what-does-your-garage-look-like-20090626_garage.jpg

Good effort :thumbup:
gonna show the wife that picture and say "look I haven't got too many bikes!"

I've only got 3 mountain bikes and a road bike, been toying with getting a snowboard, but for 1 week a year, not really worth the hassle.

I'll forgive the "flats" on the downhill bike and maybe the mountain bikes but on the road bikes, no way, get some pedals with cleats - SPD/Time/Crank Bros :BLAA:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Centaur looks like a fun boat, and a it is beautiful design. We don't have that exact brand here in Norway, but we have similar types. Our boat is a 27 years old Swedish design (Comfortina 32). It's cheap for the size and "sailability", and we are really enjoying sailing it.

Use the kids for all they are worth. :) Anything to go sailing. And remember, sailing in little wind is better than not sailing at all. ;)

Now I will shut up, before I am accused of hijacking this thread. :(

LOL your not High jacking this thread I made for everyone to show off and talk about their hobbies !! :BLAA: your doing exactly what it was intended for !! :rockon: :thumbup: :thumbup:

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So here's mine. We moved back late last year so it's not fully setup up.

This workshop is almost identical to the way it has been before the move and transformed to this circa 1999.

Primary use of the workshop has been to feed my fasination with RC in general. In 2007, a slight diversion from that hobby was the FZ6 and some of the modifications that I thought would be useful to it.

My top 10 suggestions for a usable workshop are the following:

1. Lights, lots of them. Can't do a half descent job on anything if you can't see it.
2. Workbench space. Put as many as you can and as long as you can in the space you have. Counter space is prime. Also make them sturdy and strong.
3. Storage. Any hobby, you will collect tools, parts, machines, bins, cleaners, paints, so organizing them from the get go makes it tidy and workable. I also top the center bench with some coroplast I got from a tire shop advertisement. The coroplast cleans easy when you're working with greasy or dirt parts.
4. Entertainment and communications. Sometimes a project is going to eat your evenings to the wee hours of the nite. Might as well make the best of it. Put in a TV, radio, computer with internet, wall clock, and telephone, stay a while.
5. A sink with running water. Good for washing parts, hands, RC trucks!
6. If you're building airplanes or doing woodwork that generates a lot of dust, an air filtration system and some kind of dust collector like a Delta ceiling mounted air filter system and a shop vac.
7. Fatigue mats. Especially if you are going to be standing over one area for a long time.
8. Chairs or stools. If not when you stand so long, then a seat for your buddies who come over to hang.
9. Power tools. If you use them a lot, keep them here instead of going off to the garage or where ever they are stored. If it's inconvenient to get to, you might decide to do something half fast without it and end up with a grade B job, then show up to the air field and get a "WTF?"
10. Power receptacles or power bars. Power tools, battery chargers, computers, desk lamps, they all need a spot on the power grid. Wire in extra circuits if need be to handle all the loads.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

This workshop is almost identical to the way it has been before the move and transformed to this circa 1999.

Primary use of the workshop has been to feed my fasination with RC in general. In 2007, a slight diversion from that hobby was the FZ6 and some of the modifications that I thought would be useful to it.

Tony? Tony Stark? Where is the robot assistant? :D

That's one nice hobby room you got there!

I'm waiting to have my own house to have a room like that. Ironically, I have lots of tools, already, but they are all hidden in various closets/corners of my townhouse, and spare bedroom/office being the main "assembly" area, it gets a little weird - I end up with FZ6 cowling side-by-side with Stag-15's redfield scope and CFA books.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll forgive the "flats" on the downhill bike and maybe the mountain bikes but on the road bikes, no way, get some pedals with cleats - SPD/Time/Crank Bros :BLAA:

LOL.. I get that all the time. I used to use clipless on every bike... about 10 years ago. When I got into DH and had few really painful crashes, I decided it would be wise to use flats for DH. The problem was that it started screwing me up constantly going from flats to clipless to flats (DH/XC), so I decided "screw it! I'm just gonna try flats for XC too!".
It was really awkward at first, but after about a month I got used to them and can now ride/climb everything I used to be able to do with clipless... and I can actually bunny-hop much higher with flats now that I was forced to learn to do it the right way.
The idea behind using flats on my road bikes is that since I use flats for XC and DH, it'll be better training for me. No sense in pulling up on the road bike if I can't use that technique on XC.

( Sorry for the hijacking, but I had to reply! )

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great looking shop, BD43! I love all your suggestions too, although I forego radio, TV, phone, etc; sometimes it's just nice to hear the quiet -snick-snick- of a well-sharpened smoothing plane peeling away walnut... ;)

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a pic I snapped last night, showing three of my favorite hobbies: FZ6, beer brewing, and beer drinking! In the background I'm transferring and filtering a nut brown ale. Yum!

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
A little walk about in the old hobby room, bd43's makes mine look like a train wreck:rolleyes: but I do know where everything is and I'm still trying to organize all the tools I brought home when I retired:D
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDQf_z9cgjo]YouTube - Hobby Room[/ame]

To many things to do and not enough time, oh well, better to be too busy than not busy at all:thumbup::D

Jerry

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

My top 10 suggestions for a usable workshop are the following:

1. Lights, lots of them. Can't do a half descent job on anything if you can't see it.
2. Workbench space. Put as many as you can and as long as you can in the space you have. Counter space is prime. Also make them sturdy and strong.
3. Storage. Any hobby, you will collect tools, parts, machines, bins, cleaners, paints, so organizing them from the get go makes it tidy and workable. I also top the center bench with some coroplast I got from a tire shop advertisement. The coroplast cleans easy when you're working with greasy or dirt parts.
4. Entertainment and communications. Sometimes a project is going to eat your evenings to the wee hours of the nite. Might as well make the best of it. Put in a TV, radio, computer with internet, wall clock, and telephone, stay a while.
5. A sink with running water. Good for washing parts, hands, RC trucks!
6. If you're building airplanes or doing woodwork that generates a lot of dust, an air filtration system and some kind of dust collector like a Delta ceiling mounted air filter system and a shop vac.
7. Fatigue mats. Especially if you are going to be standing over one area for a long time.
8. Chairs or stools. If not when you stand so long, then a seat for your buddies who come over to hang.
9. Power tools. If you use them a lot, keep them here instead of going off to the garage or where ever they are stored. If it's inconvenient to get to, you might decide to do something half fast without it and end up with a grade B job, then show up to the air field and get a "WTF?"
10. Power receptacles or power bars. Power tools, battery chargers, computers, desk lamps, they all need a spot on the power grid. Wire in extra circuits if need be to handle all the loads.

attachment.php

attachment.php

AWESOME!! now I have a blueprint of what I need to get !! I did the lighting allready with 3 100 watt bulbs to in the ceiling and a lamp. that was a big help im gonna take your advise and example and go get some storage bins and some tools I can leave in the room specificaly for the r/c cars. what soldering iron do you recomend ? :rockon: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Your room is Exactly what I want !! Very Nice !!

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A little walk about in the old hobby room, bd43's makes mine look like a train wreck:rolleyes: but I do know where everything is and I'm still trying to organize all the tools I brought home when I retired:D
YouTube - Hobby Room

To many things to do and not enough time, oh well, better to be too busy than not busy at all:thumbup::D

Jerry

Wow I would never leave that room !! I would just roll out finished toys like Santa Clause !! very nice collection of tools and toys !! :thumbup: :thumbup: :rockon: :D

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL.. I get that all the time. I used to use clipless on every bike... about 10 years ago. When I got into DH and had few really painful crashes, I decided it would be wise to use flats for DH. The problem was that it started screwing me up constantly going from flats to clipless to flats (DH/XC), so I decided "screw it! I'm just gonna try flats for XC too!".
It was really awkward at first, but after about a month I got used to them and can now ride/climb everything I used to be able to do with clipless... and I can actually bunny-hop much higher with flats now that I was forced to learn to do it the right way.
The idea behind using flats on my road bikes is that since I use flats for XC and DH, it'll be better training for me. No sense in pulling up on the road bike if I can't use that technique on XC.

( Sorry for the hijacking, but I had to reply! )
Its not high jacking this thread is for every hobby not just r/c !! :BLAA: