should i change my cam chain tensioner? ticking noise

nudgedoink

Reaction score
Visit site
firstly, i apologize for another ticking noise thread. i'm prepared to change the tensioner but i don't want to waste my money on it if it is probably not going to stop the ticking.

my ticking sound is not really noticeable during idling. it it very noticeable during lower revs (maybe because my pipes drown it out at higher rpms) and also when i close the throttle and let the bike engine brake. however, the ticking totally disappears when i pull in the clutch.

the sound does sound like it comes from the cam chain tensioner but i can't be sure. it is definitely not the clutch rattle as i have tried to place my fingers on the clutch when it rattles, the rattling does not change at all.

should i have the tensioner replaced? thanks alot!

The sound is caused by the tensioner but it's not the tensioner making the noise, it's your cam chain and valvetrain.

I know mine is shot, as it's a common problem with these engines. How many miles do you have on it?

You can remove it and check to see how smooth the operation is. I replaced mine many miles ago and it did make a difference and have not had problems since. There is a bolt and washer on the end of it, Yamaha recommends replacing the washer (they call it a gasket) if the bolt is removed. Also there is a paper gasket where the tensioner attaches to the engine. Only trick to installation is retracting AND keeping it retracted while installing it. It is a screw type tensioner with a spring keeping the tension on it.

After I removed my old one I checked it's operation by manually retracting using a screwdriver and then allowing to expand while holding tension on it with my hand - it had some rough spots and did not extend smoothly.

thanks alot for this info. i've just had mine changed and the sound WENT AWAY. however, if you try hard enough, u can hear some other ticking noises. but those are very very soft and you have to try hard to hear it.

i hope others who experience ticking sounds do not dismiss it as a "yamaha" thing. if a ticking noise is audible to a level where you can hear it without trying to, something is wrong. yamaha ticking noises are those super faint noises which you can hear if you try very hard to. and they should not even be audible above 3-4k rpm.

My sounds are exactly as described in the first post, but changing my tensioner ha absolutely no effect on the noises. Did you just replace with exact part number for your model year? I've considered going the manual tensioner route as a test, but never got a confirmation on exact part numbers.

Scorp

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Changed mine under warranty via Yamaha. Bike had 9000 miles on it.
No difference what so ever. Yamaha UK attributed the sound to the injectors.

Bike runs great.

Nelly

How many miles do you have on your bike?
i have 50000km which is around 35000 miles i guess
My sounds are exactly as described in the first post, but changing my tensioner ha absolutely no effect on the noises. Did you just replace with exact part number for your model year? I've considered going the manual tensioner route as a test, but never got a confirmation on exact part numbers.

Scorp

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

yes i went to a trusty motorcycle shop and replaced it with the OEM s2 tensioner
Changed mine under warranty via Yamaha. Bike had 9000 miles on it.
No difference what so ever. Yamaha UK attributed the sound to the injectors.

Bike runs great.

Nelly

great to hear that your bike runs fine. mine runs ok but when the rattling sound was present, i could feel a slight vibration in the right foot (from the rear brake lever). changed the tensioner and rattling was gone, vibration was gone.

Back