Shock question

rdoucet

Ghost Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at the Ohlins shock and can't decide what would give to a better ride....

Would you replace the stock shock with an Ohlins (or similar) or replace the stock seat with a better unit?

Looking for comfort for the longer rides; I know both have an advantage but not sure where the money would be better spent.

Thanks,

Rob

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
Personally, I cannot see how changing a shock would improve comfort specific for a long ride unless your shock is defective. I do not remember ever thinking, after my long rides, the shock needed replaced with something else. I have thought about the seat, windscreen, handlebar, tires and ride gear but never a shock.

I see you have an extensive list of mods that address the things I mentioned above. I think maybe you are expecting something different than what the FZ is going to be able to give you at this point. You have a seat insert so a new seat may not offer anything different. You can spend the bucks on the shock but the cost benefit would probably be unnoticeable. Maybe look at your ride gear instead...?

Let us know, whatever you choose helped or not helped.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Ohlins is like butta' compared to the stock shock. It responds quicker, tracks bumps much better and is much more compliant to road change. It also has excellent damping capabilities. It is a good upgrade for the commuter and and excellent for the sport rider.

There is a downside however, once you put the Ohlins on your stock fork will feel like at total POS!

But best of all it looks cool. :thumbup:

Last edited:

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
It's funny b/c I was just talking with a fellow rider this afternoon who was saying how sweet and smooth his Ohlins suspension (Multistrada S) was and if he had known he would have done it sooner. "I could never go back now" was part of the story and he claimed that the normal crappy New England town roads were no issue for him. That said, I'm guessing that better suspension isn't going to stop you from having to stand-up after your butt is numb from the stock seat after a few hours of riding. So to me it would be ideal to have both but I'd prioritize based on whether crashing over bumps or a sore butt was your personal number one issue.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
The Ohlins is like butta' compared to the stock shock. It responds quicker, tracks bumps much better and is much more compliant to road change. It also has excellent damping capabilities. It is a good upgrade for the commuter and and excellent for the sport rider.

There is a downside however, once you put the Ohlins on your stock fork will feel like at total POS!

But best of all it looks cool. :thumbup:

The problem for many of us, certainly myself, is not having the money to experiment and feel what other mods can do to handling. We sorta have to go on what other people say. I was seriously thinking about Ohlins, if or when mine spec out, but I would not be happy at all if the front forks then became an issue.

Hellgate was there any resolution for the front fork?