Shad Topmaster Rack and Givi E450 Topcase

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Been a month or so since I got the setup mounted but haven't had time to get a write-up. The write-up itself is largely the same as crazybiker posted up here:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/7884-shad-50-top-case-rack-installation.html

so I won't recap all that but will add a couple of things specific to my install or the Givi case setup. This will get you down to the point where you're clamping the two halves of the Shad rack around the grab handles using the plastic bushings and brackets. As mentioned getting the bolts all in was a PITA with a couple of starts and re-starts to get them all going. Eventually you can tighten it all up. It will look like this

watermark.php

I then test fit the side pods only to find out the while the left one mounted up flush as before the right one was pushed out a bit by the front mount of the rack. Like this

watermark.php

Rather than un-mount everything and re-adjust given the aformentioned difficulty I opted to remove a bit of the pod that won't be seen if mounted without the rack and make enough room to sit flush. Just marked it with tape and took a little off with the dremel so that it sits flush

watermark.php

The Shad plate doesn't have any holes that line up with the givi universal plate so I had to drill some. There's surprisingly few spots that work but enough to get the job done. I drilled them and then touched the new holes up with black rust-oleum enamel - you can see the smudges around the new holes in the pic.

watermark.php

After that easy job to bolt up the Givi plate and pop the case on.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

From a review perspective, I'm very happy with the Shad rack - it's sturdy, it doesn't interfere with the aftermarket exhaust and it doesn't look like you have a big rack hanging on your bike. The Givi case being part of the monolok series is not quite as sturdy as a monokey but is still very good. I don't notice it at while riding from a handling perspective expect that maybe it's a little more stable feeling at high-speed (75mph+). Not sure if it actually acts like a bit of a rudder or if it blocks some of the turbulence from hitting me in the back and just feels better as a result. Oh, yeah and I did I mention that the functionality quickly gets you over the looks of a case in general - it holds 18 beer (in 6 packs), trips to the grocery including a gallon of milk if needed and easily 4-days worth of stuff for trips. Overall, I'm very happy with this setup.

FooFazer

Reaction score
Visit site
Just studying your pics (still deciding between Shad and Yamaha Rack) and noticed you have a tube blanking bung missing from your rear subframe. Might be an idea to get it replaced if you have not already done so just to keep the water out.
Picture 6 above and between exhaust 3&4.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, but I believe it's another one of those weird factory things where every FZ6 is missing that same plug. It wasn't there when I did the exhaust shortly after I bought the bike (used with low miles) and I've seen lots other exhaust install pics where it's missing too. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be good to have both.

Last edited:

FooFazer

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, not one fitted to my bike either, How queer, I guess I should have checked before I opened my big mouth!:confused::thumbup:

FuriousGeorge

Reaction score
Visit site
I had to pull those bungs when I was installing the SW-Motech rack. I was surprised to see that I only had one on the left side just like bcityroller's bike.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, not one fitted to my bike either, How queer, I guess I should have checked before I opened my big mouth!:confused::thumbup:

:noworries:
It's one of those things you never would expect unless you've taken the back of the bike apart already. I was going to be pretty surprised if no one brought it up when I posted that pic b/c it's so obvious in it.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Got the rack from adventuremotousa.com - easy to deal with, took a little while to get the items in but the givi case was back-ordered everywhere at the time so not sure how just the rack would be. That said, the rack itself was a special order item with 1-2 week availability indicated and ~$90 before shipping.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I like it - easy to use and super functional, no issues with handling/stability, etc. I've transiently been up over 120mph (indicated) with no significant effects. It's not quite as sturdy as one of my friend's V46 monokey case but it's close and it was significantly less expensive. Bottom-line for me was I went back and forth about getting a top-case at all due to aesthetics but I can't imagine not having it now.

DavisFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the thread, it was helpful studying before I installed mine today. Here it is with the Shad Topmaster and Givi E370 (39L) topcase.

Bike.jpg

I'm very pleased with it so far.