Senior bikers

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As they say, once a bike rider, always a bike rider...At Phillip Island for the World Supers on the weekend, there was a big contingent of older riders, many on some very nice bikes...i am only 41 now, and i will ride till they have to place me on it, and lift me off it! If i can still see at that point!!!

Thanks...i feel young again, after reading this thread! ;)

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my first motorcycle license at age 50 ( Mid-life crisis???) rode cruisers for 5 years and last April decided to try a sportier bike.

Bought my 09 FZ6 last April and as soon as the weather warms up a bit and the snow and sand are off the roads I will start my 7th summer of riding and my second season on the FZ as I approach my 57th birthday.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You are a Yorkshireman, we are never too old for anything and even if we are we are to stubborn to be told that we are.

My father in law is 75 and still rides his Honda 350T. Simon Gandalfi , the author who is 75 now and riding in India at the moment, I think. Simon was 73 when he rode his 125 cc Honda from the USA to the end in Ushuaia in Chile five and a half months later. It is a good read "Old Man On A Bike"

If you feel you are up to it then do it is what I say.

Nice to see you here.

Steve

oldbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: My dad

My dad will be 81 in a few months and he still rides his 1977 Gold Wing that he bought new. :) He's been riding forever and his dad rode too.

Actually, motorcycles are why I'm here today. My grandfather came to the USA from Yugoslavia with his parents and brothers/sisters. As was told to me, my grandfather was injured in a coal mining accident, and was waiting for some settlement money from the mining company, so he could buy a Harley Davidson. His parents and family (except for one sister) decided to return to the old country, but my grandfather stayed to get his motorcycle. Cool, eh? Apparently, my grandfather was also a motorcycle police officer at one time and we have a picture of him in uniform on a police motorcycle.

I guess it's in my blood....

Congratulations to your dad...I hope I can still be on the road enjoying life to the full when I reach that age....he,s a real example to all those who feel they have to give up biking just because they are a senior citizen..!!!!!

oldbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
As they say, once a bike rider, always a bike rider...At Phillip Island for the World Supers on the weekend, there was a big contingent of older riders, many on some very nice bikes...i am only 41 now, and i will ride till they have to place me on it, and lift me off it! If i can still see at that point!!!

Thanks...i feel young again, after reading this thread! ;)

That sure is a lovely looking machine !!!!!:thumbup:

oldbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
You are a Yorkshireman, we are never too old for anything and even if we are we are to stubborn to be told that we are.

My father in law is 75 and still rides his Honda 350T. Simon Gandalfi , the author who is 75 now and riding in India at the moment, I think. Simon was 73 when he rode his 125 cc Honda from the USA to the end in Ushuaia in Chile five and a half months later. It is a good read "Old Man On A Bike"

If you feel you are up to it then do it is what I say.

Nice to see you here.

Steve

Thanks for the encouragement Steve..!!!!:thumbup:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been riding since I was 16 (I'm now almost 56) and about six years ago after a layoff from riding I decided to start riding again but wanted to "act my age" and get a cruiser. I tried to convince myself that I now longer wanted the temptation of riding a sportbike fast and just do some relaxed long distance riding. What a mistake...I was miserable for 4 long years and finally ended up selling my Vstar with only 5000 miles on it.
After making it 1 1/2 years bikeless years, I bought an FZ6 a month ago and look forward to riding everyday again!:thumbup: As long as I can get a leg over, I'm never quitting riding again.
Kudos to senior riders...you guys rock.:rockon:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I must be the Junior older rider in the group, at the age of 46. After spending hundreds of hours as a passenger on my Dad's and Brother's bike while growing up it took until last year for me to get my own bike. I saw my Brother and my childhood friend get very hurt on bikes in their late teens and early 20's.. ok so they were being young and stupid on sport bikes. But I figured I would take the safe route and here I am at 46 with a ride of my own and I couldn't be happier.