SEMI NSFW (gore) - FZ6 crash report from reddit

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, saw this on reddit, thought you might also might want to take a look.

Long story short, this guy was going ~120mph, wearing leather boots/t-shirt/polyester coat/jeans. Tank slapper lead to a high side.

Here's the gallery (Warning, don't continue if you have a weak stomach)
Photo Album - Imgur

Stay safe out there brothers.

OUCH!

Proper gear would have made this outcome far different!

I don't care how inconvenient it is or how hot it is outside...I suit up every time!
ATGATT! :spank:

Where is the story?

Last edited:
That's some nasty road rash! High-siding it going 120 just makes me cringe. I would see he walked away pretty good considering the circumstances. The pics look like the damage is mostly superficial.

WOW! That's it? After 10 years as an emergency medical tech. and 5 years as a Navy Corpsman I gotta say he got off lucky. Sure it's a lot of road rash, but for not wearing any armor and high siding at such a high rate of speed I'd expect to see more plaster on his extremities.

WOW! That's it? After 10 years as an emergency medical tech. and 5 years as a Navy Corpsman I gotta say he got off lucky. Sure it's a lot of road rash, but for not wearing any armor and high siding at such a high rate of speed I'd expect to see more plaster on his extremities.

If I had done something as foolish as wear no gear and crash...I would probably make up some ridiculous speed number too. :thumbup:

My guess is it was more in the 60-90 mph range.

I got a little speed wobble pretty consistently over 110 with the Fz6, and the highest I ever took the bike up to was 136 indicated. The thought that crossed my mind was always, "please don't let anything happen" followed by "I wish I had riding pants."

Yeah - he got off easy IMO. Still sucks, but could have been way worse.

All of this speedwobble/tankslapper talk as of late is making me nervous again.

How is the guy smiling?? Probably because he knows he is lucky to be alive and not in a coma or something. That helmet is pretty beat up. 120 MPH? im skeptical.

I was just litterally browsing gear, I am in need of pants and boots and seeing this made up my mind to go to the store after work so I am ATGATT tomorrow for my commute.

I got a little speed wobble pretty consistently over 110 with the Fz6
is it the bike or is it your gear causing the wobble? anytime I have ever been over 100 it always felt like it was my jacket causing me to wobble the handle bars a little, the bike always felt like it had a little more to give.

is it the bike or is it your gear causing the wobble? anytime I have ever been over 100 it always felt like it was my jacket causing me to wobble the handle bars a little, the bike always felt like it had a little more to give.

I never thought about the gear. It could have been. I think only about 1 time did I not have a little wobble brewing and that was with absolutely no wind. The only other thing I did to help keep it under control was to lay even lower on the tank and move my weight forward a little. It also could have been that at that speed I was usually shifting from 3rd into 4th and I might have just been unsettling the bike by hammering on the throttle

Yeah - he got off easy IMO. Still sucks, but could have been way worse.

All of this speedwobble/tankslapper talk as of late is making me nervous again.

Likewise. :BLAA: I'm taking a few days off anyway, as my arms & legs are like rubber from a weekend of recording.

It should be pointed out that it wasn't a polyester riding jacket with armor, it was a windbreaker/spring coat...I was afraid he got that with a mesh riding jacket, which I wear all summer.

Here's another photo of his leg with jeans on. Again, NSFW, bit could have been worse. http://imgur.com/lGDapaE

I was afraid he got that with a mesh riding jacket, which I wear all summer.

I'm not sure a mesh jacket would have led to much less road rash than what he got at 120mph, unless it's one of those reinforced textile ones (assuming he was actually going 120). I didn't read the story so I don't know if it's pointed out, but with as little damage as he took it looks to me like he did most of his skidding off the pavement. Either way, I'm glad I just ordered myself a nice Shift leather jacket after seeing stuff like this! Still waiting for a pair of riding pants on a closeout deal in my size.

i think i have seen this bike at cycle gear bike nights in Laguna Hills, mhmm maybe just that cafe headlight "i will now be buying riding pants and boots"

Back