Seeking the PERFECT Backpack

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey you guys, I have been going through backpacks like they're nothing lately -- especially the last 2 years. It is something I have been having to continuously address, and I really wish to resolve this and find my perfect backpack. I must have tried out 5 different backpacks and I really can't find what I'm looking for. I have been hunting on numerous websites, and have visited many-a-stores, far and wide -- in search of "the perfect backpack."

What kind of backpacks do you guys use? Any particular makes or models that might provide some really heavy duty quality, decent storage volume, and still have a decent look to the eye?

I'm looking for a substantial storage volume. I usually carry max capacity in my backpacks - I always have a ton of stuff with me. I also look for stability. I don't like when the bag shifts its weight and moves around. The one bag I tried which seemed to be a skateboarder style -- it had a chest clip to stop it from moving: I liked this feature.

I also wish for it to be durable. If its just a regular Jansport backpack, i break them at a rate of one per day. They just don't hold. The stitching is weak, material is brittle and rips easy, and the zippers are garbage. It's gotta be quality, heavy duty stitching, thick material, etc.

All while providing these highly treasured features, this backpack must retain its aesthetics. I hope it to be black in color, and slick to the eye. The visual appearance is the least significant in my eyes.

So my hunt for the perfect backpack continues. I was just wondering what you guys all use?

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, I started a thread about this a week or two ago i would check in in the search,but I am not a very good example of internet etiquette plus your thread has a better first post and format with specifics. [link inserted by nelly] http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/48325-looking-back-pack.html

So to answer the questions :)

1. you want something durable
2. Doesn't shift while riding
3. aerodynamic
4. comfort ? id assume so
5. aesthetics... duh who doesn't want something to look good
6. price
7. what will it look like when i am not riding (I.E i use it for skewl <-- yes thats how you spell it)
8..... post other opinions

Listed above are what i am looking for
how the manufacturer makes it happen i don't care but i want price to be reasonable.

my budget was >200$ usd i do not mind spending a good amount of money but it has to last.

The results I came to were

Motorcycle Backpacks - RevZilla

Kriega R20(possibly 25 but i think its to big)
A*'s Tech aero

I feel that if I wanted to go for 3 days I would get a hiking bag
I want a comfortable commute that does what I need when I need it with just a bit extra nothing CRAZY but nothing ill look back at and say man i wish .....

Last edited by a moderator:

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
For me it really depends on what I want to do. If I know I have to carry a lot fo stuff I opt for saddle bags. I don't like to keep them on my bike but it's a great option because it keeps the weight low. I also keep a tank bag with me most of the time so that's like my glove box but I've been thinking about some different options for that too.

As for backpacks I use a few and each are great for different reasons. I have a semi-hard pack for my laptop. I have a few different army bug-out-bags or day packs that are great with multiple straps and pockets. These bags are great because you could also use them as a tail bag with the FZ handles on the back.

One thing that I have noted is some backpacks like to creep up and seem to interfere with looking up while wearing a helmet. I've also looked at some Maxpedition bags because they are similar to the bug-out-bags I like but have many different options/ accessories and are very good construction.

derek533

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I'm cheap because I use a mesh Jansport tht I paid $20 for at Academy and it holds a ton of stuff and doesn't shift around one me either. It does the job as good as I need it.

It's aerodynamic with the mesh yo! :D

In all seriousness, are you looking for one that has the built in helmet garage, or just a regular backpack?

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess I'm cheap because I use a mesh Jansport tht I paid $20 for at Academy and it holds a ton of stuff and doesn't shift around one me either. It does the job as good as I need it.

It's aerodynamic with the mesh yo! :D

In all seriousness, are you looking for one that has the built in helmet garage, or just a regular backpack?

Well for me i carry a 25lb book to school and i need a strong strap plus im 200lbs 6'3, so i want something that fits i feel with the regular back pack its gonna break and its really uncomfortable if i was carry a pair of tennis shoes id probably not be looking for a strong back pack

FX4210

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Dainese Backpack R its very good with a ton of hip support (very important when it comes to heavier loads).. If I am just bringing a bathing suit or something i just use a very light mountain biking backpack, which i stick my clear visor in and swim trunks then its all set, I've also heard great things from the A* tech aero, but it was a little pricey for just a backpack

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I went with a Jansport. It got me through grad school and beyond (had 5 years) and when the zipper broke they replaced it free. no hassle just send it to them. (Lieftime warranty)

This particular one has a separate padded compartment for a laptop computer

The second one is now 2 years old and holding up well.

It wasn't cheap at $60 but i think I more than got my money's worth.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally, I hate backpacks and prefer tail bags. But if you need it for school, or something similar after you ride, I would look into something more heavy duty. Look for heavy duty zippers and stitching, along with the material that made of.

What about Oakley, or Kriega. Higher end, so expect to pay much more, but they come with some sort of a better or lifetime guarantee.

Reaction score
Visit site
The one that I use [occasionally] is a NorthFace Recon. It has multiple compartments, and lots of room. Built like a tank also..
Too big for what I use it for tho (carry the laptop to Panera) :)

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a North Face that unfortunately they don't make anymore that has clips around both the chest and the waist. Hasn't ever moved on me while riding with it. I think if you found something similar in a model they currently produce you'd be good to go.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of really great information and suggestions here you guys, thanks a ton -- its greatly appreciated! I'll be check out some of the models you guys are throwin out here at me, for sure.

Thanks!

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using a Blackhawk Raptor X1 for about 10 years now. I've beat the hell out of this thing (and I don't mean like normal riders) and I haven't even busted a stitch yet. It's been through 3 deployments (with daily use), countless field exercises, hundreds of miles of roadmarches, untold miles as my motorcycle commuter bag, a few less miles on top of a jeep.... the list goes on.

BLACKHAWK 100oz X-1 R.A.P.T.O.R. Pack - Blackhawk Tactical Gear at ReactGear.com

It was $200 back in '02 when I bought it and I was just splurging on my first trip overseas. Figured the thing would die after the deployment but it's been more places than most people will ever go and it's not even broke in yet.

It has a waist strap, chest strap, adjustable shoulder straps, a vented back pad, grommets to drain water in wet situations, parachute straps, and it even comes with a hydration bladder which will last just as long if you remember to clean it properly.

And of course, you have to get it in the sexiest color, OD Green.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using a Blackhawk Raptor X1 for about 10 years now. I've beat the hell out of this thing (and I don't mean like normal riders) and I haven't even busted a stitch yet. It's been through 3 deployments (with daily use), countless field exercises, hundreds of miles of roadmarches, untold miles as my motorcycle commuter bag, a few less miles on top of a jeep.... the list goes on.

BLACKHAWK 100oz X-1 R.A.P.T.O.R. Pack - Blackhawk Tactical Gear at ReactGear.com

It was $200 back in '02 when I bought it and I was just splurging on my first trip overseas. Figured the thing would die after the deployment but it's been more places than most people will ever go and it's not even broke in yet.

It has a waist strap, chest strap, adjustable shoulder straps, a vented back pad, grommets to drain water in wet situations, parachute straps, and it even comes with a hydration bladder which will last just as long if you remember to clean it properly.

And of course, you have to get it in the sexiest color, OD Green.

I think this might be the one!

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
That Blackhawk looks like a damn fine backpack. I would recommend a backpack with straps to compress it when less than filled, along with chest/waist straps. I recommend any Blackhawk item, as it is designed by law enforcement/military personnel and always has some great features.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been through several - I commute with a laptop and documents - but most were issued by work. I have a "rhino" bag I keep going back to, but can't find pics online. Basic, but indestructible.

My only advice is that I find the straps blow out first, and a blown strap causing the backpack to slide down your other arm while riding could really ruin your day.

I'm switching to a top-case this year, and asking less of backpacks going forward :thumbup:

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the chest piece clip....but regardless of the bag I usually have it securely strapped onto the back unless lightly loaded....I find I can more confidently move around on the bike thru turns and whenever I feel like adjusting clothing/jackets.