Securing bike

jwaz1999

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

Just got a new 2011 FZ6R last Friday but I have some security concerns I would like to address.

What is the best way to lock the bike (with a cable and lock)? I can't seem to find any opening to attach it to the frame, so right now it's just locked to the wheels, which means someone can just remove the wheels and take the rest of the bike.

Any Ideas here?

Thanks,
Jeff

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
How long is the cable? Maybe you could wrap it around one of the spokes in the rear wheel and one of your rearsets? I think the best option might be just wrapping it around the swingarm and through the wheel like it sounds like youve already done. If you combine that with a decent disc lock in the front it should be a pretty good deterrent. A cycle alarm, like the Gorilla MC alarm would also be a good addition. Most thieves are looking for something they can easily break the steering lock and roll into a vehicle/trailer. Im not sure if they would go through the trouble of removing both the wheels. Most likely they would do what lunchboxer said just lift it into a vehicle/trailer and drive off and just deal with the locks later. The best way to secure the bike is to bolt something into the ground to chain the bike to, but this is obviously not always practical.

Remember- its all about making your bike less desirable to steal then other bikes, so the more deterrents the better. If the bike down the street is easier to steal, they will take that one and leave yours alone. But if they want your bike, they will find a way to take it.

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Also keeping it covered in addition to locking it up is a good way to deter theft. Out of sight-out of mind. It sucks not showing off your brand new bike but it would suck worse to walk out to find it not there.

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
I would think that taking off the wheels of a motorcycle (and loading it on a truck/van) is more hassle than cutting through a chain no mather where you hang it? Could be wrong though since i never actually stole a bike :p

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
most security stuff is just a deterent

chaining the back wheel to street furniture should deter most theives, failing that a chain around the rear wheel or a disc lock (with a disc lock reminder cable!) will deter the casual theif. Choose where you park it wisely

At home I keep mine in a garage, I don't leave the steering lock on as more often than not theives will damage this trying to steal the bike.

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I would think that taking off the wheels of a motorcycle (and loading it on a truck/van) is more hassle than cutting through a chain no mather where you hang it? Could be wrong though since i never actually stole a bike :p

Most people arent going to want to spend the time cutting a chain and trying to break the disc lock. The more time they spend trying to do this the better the chance they have getting caught.
In about 5 minutes a couple of big guys can just pick up the bike and put it in the back of a truck, wheels and all. No reason to cut anything off if you dont have to
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sn_1rggGFc]CBR 600 STOLEN - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
I cover mine overnight and use a disc lock all the time. I've never had a problem, and if I do, my insurance is paid up and current.

As has been mentioned, you can only do so much. Take reasonable measures, and try to manage the paranoia.

jwaz1999

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I've been locking it to the wall in my complex. My insurance is paid in full, but I would lose about $3K if the bike was stolen due to taxes and prep fees and such I paid when it was new. Don't want it to get stolen until I'm at least even on the payments/value.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,
What is the best way to lock the bike (with a cable and lock)? I can't seem to find any opening to attach it to the frame, so right now it's just locked to the wheels, which means someone can just remove the wheels and take the rest of the bike.

God this makes me glad to live in Australia...

Whilst there is theft etc, it's hardly as rampant as the States.

My biggest fear is a soccer mum reversing into it or it being damaged in some other way - not of two big burly blokes picking it up and running away with it!

LOL! (Australia - the lucky country!)

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most people arent going to want to spend the time cutting a chain and trying to break the disc lock. The more time they spend trying to do this the better the chance they have getting caught.
In about 5 minutes a couple of big guys can just pick up the bike and put it in the back of a truck, wheels and all. No reason to cut anything off if you dont have to
CBR 600 STOLEN - YouTube

That's amazing that bike fit thru the side door. I wonder if they modded the van for that purpose... Scary...

An alarm (noise/flashing lights) as well as notification to the owner via the alarm (my Scorpion transmits quite a distance to me to alert me of movement, etc) would help... If it started screaming on that busy street, I'd think the thieves would find something not as loud/atttention getting..

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
When I had my Ninja 250 it would fit thru the side door of the wife's van but not the back!

When I leave my bike out while traveling I try to make it less attractive, cover with bike cover, have a big cable and lock which is looped thru the wheels and frame and locked to something nearby. Locked it to my wife's car one time but made sur I had the key to the car so she would not drive off forgetting about the bike. :) Also park near a light, also simple stuff like a motion activated light alarm would do more to deter the casual thief.