Seat modifications

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still hankering for a better perch.

My primary goal is to raise the ride height (mostly to ease the stress on my knees on longer trips) and make the seat more comfortable for stretches longer than ~90 minutes. I have a couple questions:

Has anyone had a shop modify the original seat to add foam like this, and what did they think of it?

Is there a specific kind of foam I should ask for for long trips? How much would it matter?

Would an extra inch of seat height totally bork my riding position and make the windshield useless, or am I overthinking this?

What would you say is a reasonable price for that job?

(I know it's a minor thing, but I don't want to ruin my oem seat and have to shell out $$$ for a new one.)

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Instead of looking to the seat, what about:

- lowering footpegs... I think I've seen some info about that. Not sure you'd get more than an inch or so, but even so

- some sort of highway footpegs. I did this recently, on my givi crash bars (specifically for long trips). Honestly though, I would not leave them on permanently, they aren't the most attractive thing (think big chrome things on a cruiser)

I think there is some info on the forum re: seat work, but mostly it has been for comfort or to lower it (shaving). I also have the givi windscreen, which gave me 2+ extra inches, I _did_ notice that difference, so even if you went up and didn't like it, there are "options". Lots of ppl have had Spenser modify their seat. I'm sure he could add height, but don't recall if he re-uses your seat-cover when putting it back on - I think so, so the question is, if you added height, would the same cover still fit.

KB2WYL

CQ CQ, DE KB2WYL
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Gnyce, I was going to add that for him as well, the footpegs. Only issue there is that, depending on riding style, clearance issues can come into play cornering. Still, probably not a problem, plenty have done it on the FZ6. We're not talking about track day here, right :rolleyes:.

If you look up some of the aftermarket rearsets for the FZ, and you can get an idea. A few of them have mounting plates with multiple holes in them so that you can move your pegs up/down, forward/backward. It certainly wouldn't be hard to make them. And if you don't have the ability, you're in SF it looks like, find a machine shop. Wouldn't cost much to have them just make that plate for you, and modify the way your OEM rearsets bolt on (now, bolt on to the plate). Having them 1/2" out further, maybe 1" lower, maybe also 1" back...All of the controls (brake, shifter) have plenty of adjustment to accomodate this, and it would make a significant difference to your riding position.

I'm not surprised that adding the 2" made a difference, more turbulence behind the screen up higher where you notice it more (neck/face). When I shaved mine down my concern was whether I could paint it. I used to look through it occasionally, if I was really getting on it and laying down glued to the tank. But, just those 2" made it short enough that when I'm laying down all the way even, I can see right over it now. I like that a lot more than trying to look through it, especially with all the summer flies stuck to it at night here by the ocean.

As for the OP and the seat cover...I would say this is a good way to go. Just *my* opinion, but the stock seat was not the most comfortable thing, especially on long trips. I got one of the OEM Gel seats, which is just the same (same plastic, same cover) as the original except the gel foam is more comfortable, and a little thicker (3/4" or so thicker). They used a different print pattern on the cover, but I say it's still the same based on how much is left over the staples underneath vs. stock. Not much to spare on this gel seat. If you were going to go with enough extra to really change position (say 1 1/2" extra instead of just 3/4"" I would think that yes, you would have to add a little material.

Loren

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought about lowering the footpegs, but decided I didn't want to have to worry about clearance. I have tracked this bike, and I'd like to again when money is less tight.

After a couple hours of sporty riding in the current configuration, my knees are pretty wrecked and I start to get some monkey butt, so I think some seat changes are in order one way or another. Ambitions of doing a tour up the coast this summer.

KB2WYL

CQ CQ, DE KB2WYL
Reaction score
Visit site
If you decide you want to go that route, I have a stock seat in excellent condition. I'd be happy to let it go, I'd like to see how this turns out as well :) I bought one of the Gel seats (like I said before, almost same as stock, maybe 3/4" thicker, just more comfortable), and so I have the box it came in/packing. If you're interested, looks like on E-bay they go for 70$ and free shipping, average. I'd be happy with 10$ for the seat, or a trade? I don't know if you ever take long rides up north, but I'm about 4 hours from you in Ferndale CA. Maybe you have something I'd like and we could come up with a good excuse to both take 2 hr rides and meet ;-) I could use a nice pair of grips, or a nice pair of knobby footpegs? I'm also hunting for a Power commander or Bazzaz and would be happy to fill in the big difference there with cash...

Just some thoughts, if you're interested. 10$, I think that qualifies as extra seat for cheap ;-)

Loren