Seat cowl with storage for fz6!!!

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
10 points for creativity! I think a lot of people will be interested in this, especially if they see some around. Are these going to be JUST FZ6 equipment, or would you expand the design for other bikes? I like the idea, small laptops in there, you say?

CHowell19

Reaction score
Visit site
10 points for creativity! I think a lot of people will be interested in this, especially if they see some around. Are these going to be JUST FZ6 equipment, or would you expand the design for other bikes? I like the idea, small laptops in there, you say?

As for right now it is unique to the FZ6, I will expand them to match other bikes if these go well enough. It is my intention and I have patented them for this purpose. I started with the FZ6 because I chose it over my other options and found that this type of item is really lacking out there for all sport bikes. So I intend on at least adding another option or two as I go! ;)

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
As for right now it is unique to the FZ6, I will expand them to match other bikes if these go well enough. It is my intention and I have patented them for this purpose. I started with the FZ6 because I chose it over my other options and found that this type of item is really lacking out there for all sport bikes. So I intend on at least adding another option or two as I go! ;)

What do you consider a small laptop? What are the dimensions of the inside, max? Is there a way to come out with a design that didn't have to shave the seat to make it work?

CHowell19

Reaction score
Visit site
What do you consider a small laptop? What are the dimensions of the inside, max? Is there a way to come out with a design that didn't have to shave the seat to make it work?

When I started this project I quickly realized that without removing the seat foam there would only be about 1.5 inches of storage space in the cowl. This was at the external dimensions it is now. I thought of enlarging it to leave the seat intact, but then it lost it's aesthetic appeal looking so large and bulky. I basically started small and built till it looked too large, then backed it back down to where it looked just right, but maximizing the storage space. I played with several other options, all trying to leave the seat alone, but all were almost worthless as far as storage space... which is its main purpose.

The everyday practicality of it will completely out weigh the fact that the seat needs to be modified. I picked up two seats from ebay during prototyping each for less than $50.00 USD shipped. With this cost, added to the cost of the cowl, you are still cheaper than most other comparable options. You only have to use the factory key to remove the seat and replace it quickly when adding a passenger.

As far as space, I will do a final liter test and have an exact total volume for everyone when the first unit is back. When I mentioned small laptops, I was talking 15" or smaller... I have a 15" macbook and it fit in. I have played with the final structure very slightly from the prototype so I will verify again when it gets here. I hope this helps... please feel free to ask anything else... I am really looking to make this as feasible for all as I can!

sabre

Reaction score
Visit site
This is a great idea. Will this work with seats other than the stock seat? I am currently using a Yamaha Comfort Seat on my FZ. I have found it to be much better than the stock seat. I would hate to give up the extra comfort I gained with this seat and go back to stock. Since I still have the original seat I may take it and your tail section to a custom seat maker and see what can be done to have the storage and a more comfortable seat as well.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
this should work with any FZ6 seat regardless of what you have as long as you are willing to take a knife to it.

I'd love to see someone hack up a top saddlery or corbin! Ouch!

Rhadamygg

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I could be interested in something like this. I always ride solo, never once with anyone and don't really plan it. My wife won't ride with me since we have four kids and she couldn't see it if we left them without us.

My problem is that I need a lot of storage (planning a long-term large mile tour). I was thinking of setting up my FZ6 as a sport tourer with complete tail, and saddle cases. Basically Givi, E52 Maxia and a pair of V35s for the saddle bags.

I'm absolutely sure the top case/ rear cowl you have will have less storage than the E52; however, I wouldn't have to buy the Givi Trunk/Tail metal setup + the E52, which bring the price closer to in-line. That - and it would look a whole lot better, I suspect.

The question is, would I be able to still do the side saddlebags/cases with the cowl trunk that you are developing? My first inclination is that this would in fact work.

In general, I've been having thoughts of having a two webcam setup on my motorcycle. This way I can review how often people get too close and I can have video of some of the utter idiocy I see on the roads. Ultimately, I want to video an entire SS1000 or similar and then edit from there the entire journey. Something that is impractical with regular still cameras with video capability, but should be do-able with a decent laptop and good sized hard drive. The problem has always been powering the laptop.

Also, the cams would be something that I would set up - for my daily commutes of 123 miles. This way should something ever happen - I'll have it on the video for instant (or court ordered) re-play.

RhadamYgg

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
but should be do-able with a decent laptop and good sized hard drive. The problem has always been powering the laptop.
You'll need a laptop with a solid state drive (expensive). Vibrations will kill a normal one. Also, you'll need to make sure it has air going in/out without water getting to it otherwise it will fry! Difficult to do TBH!

CHowell19

Reaction score
Visit site
This is a great idea. Will this work with seats other than the stock seat? I am currently using a Yamaha Comfort Seat on my FZ. I have found it to be much better than the stock seat. I would hate to give up the extra comfort I gained with this seat and go back to stock. Since I still have the original seat I may take it and your tail section to a custom seat maker and see what can be done to have the storage and a more comfortable seat as well.

Krid80 is right on this one. This WILL work with Yamaha OEM seat boards. The setup is very simple and I am sure it could be used with other seats, although I haven't tested their board structures. I own a Corbin Gunfighter and the seat board is actually a molded fiberglass. It is much thicker and heavier than the OEM boards. I would recommend using the OEM boards for two reasons... #1 they are cheap and tested, #2 they can be modified into an excellent seat with the different cushion mods out there. I was actually going to use a Comfort seat for mine, and then I decided to to mod for a more custom fit. I used a thin memory foam and a slight seat shave in the widest part of the saddle and it is as comfortable to me as my Corbin I read about the mod on this forum. Very useful. Everyone's tastes/rears are different so it will be up to each individual. If one does decide to convert the more expensive seats, I will give any guidence/ help that they need to complete the project. Hope this helps!

CHowell19

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I could be interested in something like this. I always ride solo, never once with anyone and don't really plan it. My wife won't ride with me since we have four kids and she couldn't see it if we left them without us.

My problem is that I need a lot of storage (planning a long-term large mile tour). I was thinking of setting up my FZ6 as a sport tourer with complete tail, and saddle cases. Basically Givi, E52 Maxia and a pair of V35s for the saddle bags.

I'm absolutely sure the top case/ rear cowl you have will have less storage than the E52; however, I wouldn't have to buy the Givi Trunk/Tail metal setup + the E52, which bring the price closer to in-line. That - and it would look a whole lot better, I suspect.

The question is, would I be able to still do the side saddlebags/cases with the cowl trunk that you are developing? My first inclination is that this would in fact work.

RhadamYgg

I just looked up and viewed the V35's side bag mounting setup and it looks like it will be compatible. This is without the topcase mount. The saddle bag mounts don't appear to interfere at all. Thanks!

sabre

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the V35's and I don't see how this could interfere. I also have the topmount (although no case yet) and I think it would work with that as well. I don't think it would look as good with the toprack/case but I think it would work. I was planning on adding a a Givi topcase and bought the hardware all at the same time. I may do this instead and sell the Givi rack.

Rhadamygg

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the V35's and I don't see how this could interfere. I also have the topmount (although no case yet) and I think it would work with that as well. I don't think it would look as good with the toprack/case but I think it would work. I was planning on adding a a Givi topcase and bought the hardware all at the same time. I may do this instead and sell the Givi rack.

Wow - now that is a thought - all three Givi cases and this cowl holder. If it would work that would be a lot of storage.

RhadamYgg

CHowell19

Reaction score
Visit site
Sooo sorry for being away on this...crazy busy schedule lately and I truely apologize. So here is where I am at. I finished tweaking the outside shell awhile ago and it looks killer! I gave it a few more "lines" to give the tail a cool look from any viewing angle. I had been negotiating on the side with manufacturer's to cut costs and the final consumer price. It has been a struggle! But it seems to have worked, end sales with tell. The amount of time and money to get these up and going is fairly intense :eek: I only need to lock in the per-prodcution cost with the manufacturer, contract is on their "desk" so I am waiting on them! :spank:

The first run should include 10-20 units, when they get there I will square up to the forum admin on here and put the word out. I am a perfectionist, so I apologize for the wait but you all won't be disappointed!!!

Hit me up with any questions and thanks for the support!