Seat cowl with storage for fz6!!!

CHowell19

Reaction score
Visit site
To all FZ6 enthusiasts... I have been working on a seat cowl with storage conversion kit for the FZ6 for the past year. The tail cowl is officially "patent pending" and is about to go into production, shooting to have them available in roughly a month. They will initially be available for all FZ6's from 2004-2009. It will include optional accessory charging and feature cargo lighting and carpeting. Pictures and the website will be available in the coming weeks so stay tuned. My goal was to give the tail a very unique look and ad storage for the daily commute. I know all will be interested in seeing it so I am including this pic of the prototype during development to give an idea of its approximate look. The seat vinyl is pealed back in this pic... Feel free to ask with any questions you might have......Enjoy!

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, now THAT'S cool! I hesitate to ask, but do you have a price in mind yet?

What about colors? Are they going to be available in the standard colors of each year or will they come unpainted?

I'll be keeping a look out for the website. Thanks! :thumbup:

CHowell19

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you CCHOUSEKY,
I would love to get feedback from other FZ6 owners. I know that this has not been offered for an FZ6 before, and anything else always seems to be astronomically priced. I am thinking of offering this cowl in multiple packages which would allow all to basically build their own to suit their individual needs.
They will have the option to be pre-painted to match all factory colors or unpainted at a lower cost. The accessory charging, two USB ports, and LED cargo light will be offered as optional as well. I am shooting for a total package no higher than $599 USD for a complete kit... meaning painted, accessory charging ready, and cargo lighted. This price is my goal but won't be set in stone for another week or so. I am interested in feedback so let me know your thoughts everyone...

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
To be honest, I think in the current economic environment, you'd have a hard time selling the top-of-the-line case. Not that it's overpriced (because I realize there's a TON of development that goes into something like this), but just because people don't have that kind of money to spend.

I know for myself, I would just be interested in the basic, pre-painted case. I don't ride much at night, so inside illumination wouldn't be something I'd need. And I've already got a Powerlet dual outlet under my seat, so the accessory charging feature and the dual USB plugs wouldn't be needed either.

I do REALLY like the shape of it and how it looks on the bike. Any idea how it would attach yet? Oh, and something else you might want to verify is whether it'll work with aftermarket seats (Corbin, TS, etc.). I've got a Corbin, so that would be a big decision-maker for me.

Nice job on this, though! You should get some great feedback that will help you.

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
So is it going to be kinda like Sargent's pod? Is it going to go over the seat or would the seat need to be replaced. Cool idea, looks nice.

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
Great idea. I'd be all over that. I currently use a hardshell tail bag that gives the bike a similar look.

I guess the most important part, will this require seat modification. That, more than price, could be a deal breaker for some. In regards to price, for a factory paint matched tail "trunk" it seems fairly reasonable. As we all know, the small production nature of bike parts = higher prices so it's something we are used too.

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
My first thought was Great! A little mini Top Box suitable for my lunch, wallet, house keys and Wets, without it hanging 2 feet over the end of the bike (like my Yamaha Rack).

But at $599 (Approx $700 AUD plus postage) it would price me right out.

Do people who need a small box like that really need Power Outlet, USB, Carpet, lighting, etc. Not me. The long distance Tourers might, but then they will need a bigger box too.

Sorry. Just my feedback

CHowell19

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your comments. I will answer everyone and consider all possible avenue's.. I began designing this because of other's prices and nothing being as 'attractive' on the FZ6 for my tastes. I am not solely into this for profit as the larger businesses, I have to make some, but I will make it as available as I can as it was my biggest gripe too. So here we go...
It will be specifically designed to match the lines of the FZ6's gas tank to complete a truly integrated tail look. It will be made of ABS plastic and be of very sturdy construction. The lid opens towards the back so as to allow the rider access from standing next to the seat and ignition. It will be fully weather proof to protect your cargo much as a trunk. It will open via key to give security to your belongings. I just looked at the 'pod' and this one will have more storage than the 'pod'. It should be able to hold smaller laptops, which is a great plus for some, and charge your accessories during riding. It is more similar to the FZ1 trunk smuggler that is offered than the pod.
As for how it will function, it will be attached to the factory seat board as one unti so that it will be easily removable with the factory key release. This will require a seat modification. I chose this in order to get maximum storage without sacrificing looks or quality. I was toying with different designs in order to make it available without purchasing an entire seat system. This was the best way to make it available for everyone. The factory seat is easily modified and cheaper to replace than any other. Everyone should have one and they can be easily be picked up on ebay or a yamaha dealer.
For and entire seat system, I am working on a new foam insert and leather/vinyl seat cover that can upgrade the rider's seat if desired. This will include a passenger portion that can switch out with the cowl, with the included hardware, but these are future accessories and upgrades depending on how popular it becomes. I am going to keep the cost as low as possible to make it available to as many as possible.
If I can get the base model down to around $400 USD or lower I will. I do not see it getting much lower than that, but if I can get the production set up to allow it then I definitely will. Small production does equal higher costs, so my ability to get the lowest available price will depend on it. Hope this helps... Any more thoughts or questions? Keep em' comming....

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally, I would prefer if the shape was more curved/streamlined towards the back like the TCP one. I can see that this would sacrifice storage space, but it looks a bit chunky to me. A smaller option would be nice for those that care about the looks of their bike more. Nice job though.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
At $120,the Axio looks like a bargain.
I fully get the fact that small production means high costs,but $600 is a lot of bucks,but then again,there are people who will pay for individuality.

I think maybe you'd do better selling just the shell and letting people trim it out how they want.

Good luck with the venture anyway fella :thumbup:

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
C'mon now guys...for a custom piece with all the bells and whistles PAINTED TO MATCH that is pretty reasonable considering what some here have paid for just a plain seat cowl or lower cowl or any number of mods that are $$$. Now, like I said earlier, the seat mod may be a killer for me (as well as others) depending on what needs to be done.

Considering I spent more on two tiny exhaust cans than I did when I got a complete new(custom bent) dual exhaust system on my truck I am pretty used to paying a premium for things on any of my motorcycles. We really need to keep pricing in perspective here.

I mean, I have been pricing hard bags for my cruiser, and my god, I could buy luggage AND take a weekend trip to Vegas for the cost of some of these saddlebags!!

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
C'mon now guys...for a custom piece with all the bells and whistles PAINTED TO MATCH that is pretty reasonable considering what some here have paid for just a plain seat cowl or lower cowl or any number of mods that are $$$. Now, like I said earlier, the seat mod may be a killer for me (as well as others) depending on what needs to be done.

Considering I spent more on two tiny exhaust cans than I did when I got a complete new(custom bent) dual exhaust system on my truck I am pretty used to paying a premium for things on any of my motorcycles. We really need to keep pricing in perspective here.

I mean, I have been pricing hard bags for my cruiser, and my god, I could buy luggage AND take a weekend trip to Vegas for the cost of some of these saddlebags!!

I don't think anyones doubting the worthiness of it,but the fact there are considerably cheaper options on the market make it a very expensive niche product.

As I said in my post,I wish all the best that its a success :thumbup:

CHowell19

Reaction score
Visit site
Again, I really appreciate everyone's comments and I definitely understand the money issue. I am in this to make a quality and reasonably affordable FZ6 specific tail that will make it stand out in a crowd of bikes while filling the gap between the smaller cargo bags or 'pods' and the larger trunk cases. These will hold much more than just your wallet, small tools, and water bottles... If I could get these to everyone at $200 USD I would, there is just that much material cost more that goes into their production. I do like the idea of even selling just the unpainted shells so that the price could be at it's lowest. I will know more about final cost in the next few weeks so I will keep all updated, when I know you will know.
For those that are curious as Tweak89 is, the seat modification is very simple. All that is required is that the seat vinyl be lifted past the passenger portion of the seat and the passenger seat foam be removed with a single cut, pattern included. The seat vinyl will be re-stapled around the cut portion. Four holes will be drilled into the seat board and the seat cowl will bolt to the board right up against the seat foam and you are done. You will receive clear instructions and pictures with the pattern to make it that much easier for the cut and drilling.
It is a permanent modification but for those, like me, who like the look of the tail and are wanting the additional cargo space for everyday riding, they will be thrilled. I have seen the TCP cowls and other alternatives and they are more designed for the narrower pointy tail look. These are attractive but that is all you get is a hard tail. I prefer the look of the rounder, more bulby, if your will, sport tail like some Ducati bikes have. I used that look to start this venture and adapted it too this tail cargo hauler. It is a completely new and unique look for those who are of similar tastes.
Thank you very much again everyone! Keep the comments coming, I will do what I can to make this product as available as I can to those who want it.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
looks great but the price is gonna really really limit sales.

I'd not buy one of yours for two reasons. Having to buy not only your product but also a second seat because my wife will not ride on or fit inside your product :BLAA:

So... add your $599 plus another $100 for an ebay seat and I could buy these for less and have much more storage that is also weatherproof.

7786-500x600.jpg

Sorry. Great idea, but perhaps you could outsource the production to drop down the prices.... just a thought.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Again, I really appreciate everyone's comments and I definitely understand the money issue. I am in this to make a quality and reasonably affordable FZ6 specific tail that will make it stand out in a crowd of bikes while filling the gap between the smaller cargo bags or 'pods' and the larger trunk cases. These will hold much more than just your wallet, small tools, and water bottles... If I could get these to everyone at $200 USD I would, there is just that much material cost more that goes into their production. I do like the idea of even selling just the unpainted shells so that the price could be at it's lowest. I will know more about final cost in the next few weeks so I will keep all updated, when I know you will know.
For those that are curious as Tweak89 is, the seat modification is very simple. All that is required is that the seat vinyl be lifted past the passenger portion of the seat and the passenger seat foam be removed with a single cut, pattern included. The seat vinyl will be re-stapled around the cut portion. Four holes will be drilled into the seat board and the seat cowl will bolt to the board right up against the seat foam and you are done. You will receive clear instructions and pictures with the pattern to make it that much easier for the cut and drilling.
It is a permanent modification but for those, like me, who like the look of the tail and are wanting the additional cargo space for everyday riding, they will be thrilled. I have seen the TCP cowls and other alternatives and they are more designed for the narrower pointy tail look. These are attractive but that is all you get is a hard tail. I prefer the look of the rounder, more bulby, if your will, sport tail like some Ducati bikes have. I used that look to start this venture and adapted it too this tail cargo hauler. It is a completely new and unique look for those who are of similar tastes.
Thank you very much again everyone! Keep the comments coming, I will do what I can to make this product as available as I can to those who want it.

You can't say fairer than that.Good darts fella :thumbup:

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think anyones doubting the worthiness of it,but the fact there are considerably cheaper options on the market make it a very expensive niche product.

As I said in my post,I wish all the best that its a success :thumbup:

Aside from tailbag, what options are you talking about? I haven't seen anything like what is being described. Links!!!