Screwing with Craigslist

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
After seeing a new member on here asking for FZ6's in my area, I jumped on craigslist to see what was around. I found an 05 FZ6 listed for $2k... not a bad deal... but the guy says in his ad "no papers". This is an immediate red flag for me. I hope it's not stolen!

Link:
2005 Yamaha FZ6

I'm bored so I decide to text him to see whats preventing him from making a short trip to the DMV. Hoping it's not a stolen bike...

Here's the convo:
View attachment 52959
View attachment 52960

Haven't heard back...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you know.. he does have a picture of himself (possibly) and a picture of the license plate... might be worth telling the police and have them run the plate to see if it is in fact stolen..

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
If that bike isn't stolen I don't know what is! lol.

"If I would spend $50 and 30 min at the DMV I could sell it for $5,500 but I think I'll just sell it for $2,000 to save all that trouble at the DMV!"

Yea. Right.

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
I read in the local paper(South Bend Tribune) that Craigslist is known as a place where you can sell stolen goods.Just a month or two ago someone locally saw a bike just like his on Craigslist, so he called the Police and a Detective called the seller, posing as a buyer and guess what? It was the guys stolen bike!They found several other hot bikes in various stages of disassemble.The guy lucked out as his bike was whole and in good condition, and he got it back!Just a word to the wise.I'd give the info you have to the Police! It doesn't hurt to have the Police look at ya as a Good-Guy,"Oh yeah,your the guy that told us about the stolen bike." Bust'em Danno! LOL! :rockon: Rich

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
Most dodgy ads i see don't have that many photos or have anyone in them. Either he's really stupid or plain lazy for not getting the papers.
In the UK you'd have to be mad to buy a vehicle without them. We can also HPI check a bike to see if it's got any finance owing on it or if a insurance company has written it off or classed it as stolen.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Based on his reaction I get the feeling you aren't the only person who asked what the problem with the "papers" is.