Scorpions installed, few questions!!!

Bill3508

Reaction score
Visit site
Scorpions installed, few questions, pics up!!

Installed my Scorpions I just received from Indysuperbikes and to let you all know despite the old style pictured they are the new oval pipes. Pipes look great on the bike and install was relatively easy despite a few problems that always happen upon me.

Now the questions. These pipes are extremely loud. Loud at idle and unreal at higher rpm's. I had listened to every Scorpion exhaust vid I could find and the only ones that sound this loud had the cat delete pipe also. I'm really shocked at how loud they are, and add to that the fact that I go to work at 3:30AM every morning the wife and neighbors probably are not going to be happy. Are the old style Scorpion pipes a lot quieter? Also, I thought some of these pipes had DB killer installed or that you could install, but I don't see anything on these pipes that can be removed. Am I missing something.
Last, if I can't get use to these things and the old style is somewhat quieter I may want to swap with someone for the old style pipes if anyone is interested. I don't know if it will come to that but I'm in disbelief at just how loud they are.

I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.

Thanks

Bill3508

Last edited:

NakedJ

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"sounds" like you have the cans without the DB killers as that is generally how they come in the US. In the UK the DB killers are a legal requirement for street use but i tend to rid without them. I also leave for work early but you get used to the sound and i've not had any complaints (yet) from the neighbours

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
It is a real shame that there isn't an exhaust out there for the FZ that isn't so freaking loud. It goes from one extreme to the other! Stock is whisper quiet and it seems that most, if not all, the aftermarket exhaust are too freakin loud. Don't get me wrong, I love they way they all sound for the first hour or so, but on a long ride it really takes its tole on your ears.

S

sportrider

my scorps were pretty loud also. I loved the way they resonated off everything

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love the throaty deep sound, as far as the neighbors they might notice it, but it happens. I ride at 6-7 rpm's all day. Very happy.

Bill3508

Reaction score
Visit site
It is a real shame that there isn't an exhaust out there for the FZ that isn't so freaking loud. It goes from one extreme to the other! Stock is whisper quiet and it seems that most, if not all, the aftermarket exhaust are too freakin loud. Don't get me wrong, I love they way they all sound for the first hour or so, but on a long ride it really takes its tole on your ears.

Yeah, stock is just too quiet, almost scooter like, and takes some fun away from the bike. The new exhaust is just unreal loud. I'm sure it can be heard from blocks away and its easily 2x as loud as my GTO without cats.

As mentioned it is deep and throaty though, enough so that it vibrates the interior of the house.

Also, I read that the 06 bikes and earlier the pcm's do not learn so there is no need to disconnect the battery. Is this true or do I need to disconnect it to let it reset the fuel map?

Bill3508

Last edited:

Dustin

MotorBoatin Son of a Btch
Reaction score
Visit site
This has nothing to do with the sound but, which ones did you get? stainless,carbon fiber?

You should post some pics of your new pipes!

Bill3508

Reaction score
Visit site
Pics. :)

Scorpions001.jpg

Scorpions002.jpg

Scorpions003.jpg

Scorpions005.jpg

oscarg85

Reaction score
Visit site
they are pretty loud man! pretty much the only competition on loudest pipes would be only 2bros. they have almost the same sound, they are very deep and throuty!! :) i personally love them. i have the older model of scorpion pipes but the new ones look great!!

Bill3508

Reaction score
Visit site
they are pretty loud man! pretty much the only competition on loudest pipes would be only 2bros. they have almost the same sound, they are very deep and throuty!! :) i personally love them. i have the older model of scorpion pipes but the new ones look great!!

You know, this is the first I heard of the scorps being 2nd loudest. From all the exhaust threads I read folks were saying they were not that loud and not as loud as the Leo's which were my second choice. They might grow on me though as they are pretty nice sounding once you get moving and on the highway. At low RPM's though they wake the dead with the resonance and the same at high RPM's. Its the middle cruisng RPM's where they are quiet.

Bill3508