Scorpion undertray

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Well having fitted and loved my scorps for over a week now I was dismayed to see when I raised the seat that a great deal of crud is now thrown into the storeage area and cakes the underside of the seat. (I ride in all weathers) The reason of course is that I have removed the giant OEM muffler box! This was effectively stopping the 'muck spreading', so I decided to make my own undertray.

Went down to my local sheet metal shop with a template I'd drawn out using the horseshoe shaped support bracket that comes with the cans then spent a happy hour bending the piece of .9mm stainless to shape the way the bracket goes. Drilled some holes to mate with the license plate fixings where it meets the support bracket and the side-pod underside (where you bolt on the side arms of a Givi rack) and I'm good to go.

The leading edge of the new plate runs well forward of the hugger and should stop the bulk of the grime reaching the underseat compartment.

I'll update here with the results as typically, its stopped raining for a bit. Great. I feel a hoon coming on....:BLAA:

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh dear.
Was afraid you'd ask that.
I'm clueless about tekky things and haven't yet worked out how to post pics.

Basically I took the new U shape bracket that replaces the old one and used it as a template. Its the part you bolt the tail tidy onto. Original or aftermarket, its makes no odds.

The tray should follow the outline of this bracket and bolt through in 4 places, the 2 bolts for the tidy and 2 just below the side pods where rack arms would fix. You should not need extra fixings.

I first made a dummy in card so I could check for fit/ holes. I also made it so that it doesn't go beyond the fixing points more than about 1/2 inch fore and aft. For Scorps the new U bracket is also follows a gentle zig zag bend and it looks nicer if the tray follows it too. (Viewed from the side)

I just used a workmate and bare hands on plate that is about 0.9mm stainless. Took me an hour to fabricate with just a battery drill to make holes. I was lucky in that I took my card template to the metal shop and the guy drew round it and chopped the tapered sides ready to go on a power guillotine. You could do it with a power jigsaw too.

What I can say with confidence however, is that its a total success. Not a scrap of crud in the underseat area.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What I did with my 2007 and Scorp's:

I cleaned the underneath plastic/parts very well and then applied some of the shiney, actual duct tape, underneath wherever there were opening's crap was coming in. I attached to the factory inner fender (where your tool kit resides) and whatever was near the opening in question. That also included the seat locking mechanism (which likes to collect crap). Very simple install..

It isn't visable unless you literally crawl/duck down to look up, under the seat. Works fine BTW..

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
I like that!

I had a car once that was held together by Duct Tape :thumbup:

That stuff could stick s**t to fresh air. Courier bikes are usually made entirely of it too...