Scorpion exo-400 vs. Exo-700

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anybody know the difference between the scorpion exo-400 and the exo-700?. Besides price of course. Looking to up all my gear and interested in either of these. Opinions? Thanks

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
The 700 has better ventalation and better padding inside. I tried on a 400 after owning a 700 for years and it was just uncomfortable and a little cheap feeling. I would imagine a little of that has to do with head shape as well, however. IMO, I think they make their helmets like Arai where they are made for different head shapes.

Go try on a couple. Most shops are really friendly and don't seem to care. When you have one picked out, buy it on eBay and save yourself about $50.

runforfun7

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an EXO-400 and it fits my head fine. I have not tried on the 700 though. I went by the sizing chart and my head measurement was right at or a little over 22". I got a medium and it is tight, but was the right size. I have had it for about 2 weeks and it is starting to break in a bit for me. I don't really notice any weight issue with it when riding. My longest ride to date is 70 miles to VIR and 70 miles back to watch the AMA races. I would recommend trying them on first if you have a local shop that sells them. I didn't know of anywhere locally that sold them so I had to buy it sight unseen. I am happy with my purchase of the helmet though.

DamiaRhan

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the EX-700 and LOVE it. I was riding in 90+ degree weather and it kept me nice and cool. Rode in pouring rain yesterday and everything was dry :thumbup:

The differences are the type/amount of ventilation. If you pull up pics of the 400 and the 700 you can clearly see the different vents. Both come with the KWIKWICK liner and are DOT and SNELL certified with a 3 year manufacturer warranty.

BroHay

FZ1 Mod-a-holic
Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased an exo-700 when I got my bike -- lasted of all of about 3 days before one of the posts on the top vent broke. was not dropped, no visible damage, but the stealer would not replace it. I can't speak for the ventilation aspect -- but as far as construction......

I have an exo-400, and I have not had any problems with it -- fit is fine and maybe a bit louder than other helmets, but some good ear buds on an MP3 player help silence the noise.

Adam

DamiaRhan

Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased an exo-700 when I got my bike -- lasted of all of about 3 days before one of the posts on the top vent broke. was not dropped, no visible damage, but the stealer would not replace it. I can't speak for the ventilation aspect -- but as far as construction......

I have an exo-400, and I have not had any problems with it -- fit is fine and maybe a bit louder than other helmets, but some good ear buds on an MP3 player help silence the noise.

Adam

You should have contacted the Scorpion directly about the EXO-700 issue, they warranty their goods for 3 years... I ran into an issue with a Tourmaster jacket I had and the dealer wouldn't deal with it, so I called tourmaster up and they took care of everything. Not using a warranty is like paying for health insurance but never going to the doctor when you're sick :D

rottenkid

Reaction score
Visit site
Different shel materials. 700 = •Fiberglass/Kevlar Matrix Shell, 400 = •Advanced Polycarbonate Composite Engineered Shell. I believe the 700 is lighter. I just got a 700 a couple weeks ago, it's quieter than the HJC I had, but that might be because it fits better. The HJC was a little loose. The Scorpion feels lighter, and feels like part of my head instead of sitting on my head. I'm very happy with it. Got it at newenough.com for $109 too. The selection is slim ritght now, unless you wear a S or XS. Good luck.

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had used both and now ride with a 400. It is just as comfortable, I found the sizing the same as the 700. I ride with ear plugs so I can't really tell if there is a sound difference. I do think the 700 has slightly better venting, but I've been in 100+ weather and the 400 vents just fine. I got the 400 after the Motorcyclist helemt article a few years back stated the 700 tranmitted a lot more G (energy) to the head than the 400, since the 400 has a softer shell.

J_Slyter

Reaction score
Visit site
The graphics available are different, so that might be as good a reason as any to base your choice on (assuming Scorpions are the right fit). Well, that and price, I've seen some good closeouts on discontinued graphics from various online vendors from time to time.

I have a Exo700 (discontinued graphic bought from ExtremeSupply 2 or 3 years ago), the anti-fog shield is my favorite part about the Scorpions vs Arai. I prefer my Arai's in general, but the Scorpion is pretty much the only helmet I use in the winter.

crazy dave

Reaction score
Visit site
The graphics available are different, so that might be as good a reason as any to base your choice on (assuming Scorpions are the right fit). Well, that and price, I've seen some good closeouts on discontinued graphics from various online vendors from time to time.

I have a Exo700 (discontinued graphic bought from ExtremeSupply 2 or 3 years ago), the anti-fog shield is my favorite part about the Scorpions vs Arai. I prefer my Arai's in general, but the Scorpion is pretty much the only helmet I use in the winter.

Yea at sportbike track gear the 400 is about $90 and the 700 is about $110 a like a graphic from each though

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
What about head shape? Are they the same? My wife has an EXO 400 Medium and it is too small for me, but I wear Medium in Shark RSX and HJC CL-15. The Shark is too oval for my head and is tight on my cheeks.

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
picked up a 400 in rebel blue recently and its a great helmet and a great price no less. you really get alot for your dollar for this scorpion helmet. i will say though scorpion FF helmets seem more snug than others. i immediately bought the aero skirt and a dark smoke visor for it. changing the shield is pretty effortless. and the graphics are top notch as well as the fit. oh, and the everclear visors they come with are REALLY fog free. its awesome.