Scorpion cans

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
One little thing concerns me.

I read somewhere that a memeber mentioned disconnecting the battery to reset the ecu so it would read the new air flow and adjust.
True?

I haven't done this yet plus I'd like to fit a K&N air/oil filter set. Will this cause problems? Should I disconnect to be sure?

Currently the bike bike runs sweet as, with no popping on shut-off and there is deffo just a tiny bit more surge on accelleration.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One little thing concerns me.

I read somewhere that a memeber mentioned disconnecting the battery to reset the ecu so it would read the new air flow and adjust.
True?

I haven't done this yet plus I'd like to fit a K&N air/oil filter set. Will this cause problems? Should I disconnect to be sure?

Currently the bike bike runs sweet as, with no popping on shut-off and there is deffo just a tiny bit more surge on accelleration.

I didn't re-set mine but I just did the pipes. The computer should be able to adjust for the minor changes.

**If your under the tank anyway for the air filter, it wouldn't hurt to disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes**.

Un-bolt the ground wire from the battery. If you have any 1/4" heat shrink, cut a very short piece and put it under the battery nut. It'll keep the nut from dropping down, making re-installation a little easier. A very small piece of foam or foam ear plug trimmed down will work as well... Keeps that little nut from dropping into the abyss.

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
Got the Scorpions installed on Friday, took about an hour and a half and a sixer of Shiner. Given how particular I am, it probably would have only taken about 45 min to install but we spent 45 min aligning the exhausts... that was such a pain. Even with everything loose it took us quite a while to get it just right.

I forgot to mention... AMAZING SOUND, it's the exact note I was looking for - deeper, not whiny and not egregiously loud. I don't have the silencers in at the moment, I don't feel like it made it any quieter but instead just higher pitched. Maybe it's a tad quieter actually riding, but just sitting in the garage it didn't change much so I took it off as I prefer the deeper note.

One tip, buy some auto sealing exhaust tape (like $3 at Auto Zone) and wrap it around the connection points before tightening the t-clamps. As some others have mentioned, the connection points are known to leak. I used the tape and haven't had any problems at all, not sure if I would have without it but I didn't feel like it was worth the chance.

Last edited:

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
I hear that!
Parked mine up in the garage last night and as I shut the door I realised that the pipes don't quite line up. Damn. Where's that wrench. Again:spank:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Got the Scorpions installed on Friday, took about an hour and a half and a sixer of Shiner. Given how particular I am, it probably would have only taken about 45 min to install but we spent 45 min aligning the exhausts... that was such a pain. Even with everything loose it took us quite a while to get it just right.

I forgot to mention... AMAZING SOUND, it's the exact note I was looking for - deeper, not whiny and not egregiously loud. I don't have the silencers in at the moment, I don't feel like it made it any quieter but instead just higher pitched. Maybe it's a tad quieter actually riding, but just sitting in the garage it didn't change much so I took it off as I prefer the deeper note.

One tip, buy some auto sealing exhaust tape (like $3 at Auto Zone) and wrap it around the connection points before tightening the t-clamps. As some others have mentioned, the connection points are known to leak. I used the tape and haven't had any problems at all, not sure if I would have without it but I didn't feel like it was worth the chance.

Yep, that's the joy of having two separate mufflers...

Take your time and line them up. I did the same thing as I wanted them dead level..

Last edited:

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Also thought I'd pop the db kilers in to see how they sound. Went for a very short ride, parked up and took them out again. They won't be going back in any time soon. Too, erm, polite!:(

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also thought I'd pop the db kilers in to see how they sound. Went for a very short ride, parked up and took them out again. They won't be going back in any time soon. Too, erm, polite!:(

Mine new, didn't come with the DB killers. I had to order them from England at the time. Once I got them, I slipped them in, didn't make it to the of the driveway. They got sold... :thumbup:

foxbass

I prefer being on top
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm.

Took 'The Pillion' :cheer: out for a 4 hr ride over the weekend and while she loves the sound :BLAA: and the fact that even she noticed people getting out the way on the street, she found that after a while the drone gave her a mild headache. Reckon its as she's sitting right on top of the cans.
Of course her lid is only entry level - an HJC - and I know how poorly cheapos insulate against sound.
Didn't reckon on new cans also costing me a new expensive lid for herself.:(

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm.

Took 'The Pillion' :cheer: out for a 4 hr ride over the weekend and while she loves the sound :BLAA: and the fact that even she noticed people getting out the way on the street, she found that after a while the drone gave her a mild headache. Reckon its as she's sitting right on top of the cans.
Of course her lid is only entry level - an HJC - and I know how poorly cheapos insulate against sound.
Didn't reckon on new cans also costing me a new expensive lid for herself.:(

I think sitting on top of the cans is more of the problem than the helmet. I used to have an HJC, I liked it, moved up to a Shoei.

+1 on the ear plugs first..

BTW, my pillion, also wearing a Shoei, never complained of the sound (no ear plugs).

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
The scorpions where on the bike when we got it but i have ridden with several that have had stock, as well as others with the scorps and i love them! Good sound without being ridiculous. The only complaint I have is the right can keeps rotating and no matter how much I tighten the clamp it will not stay. I have even swap cans side to side and is still does it I think I need to put some tape or something under the clamp and tighten it down . Or possibly widen the slits were it clamps on so that It can clamp tighter

Digitized from my thumbs to your screen with the help of my Droid X and tapatalk 2

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
Can someone with scorpion exhaust measure the O.D. of the pipe that connects into the cans? I have tried searching for it with little results.

B4sok

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Foxbass, I've same cans on mine and there great you'll not go wrong buying them. I left the cat in but the only time the db's are in are for the mot. You'll not go wrong with them and are much better than the stock ones.
All the best Sok