Scary Ride

mduhon

Reaction score
Visit site
This last weekend I took a trip to visit my friend and help him fix his bike. Approximately 210 miles each way. On my way up (after a preride check of the bike with chain tightening and lubing of course) I started noticing a strange feeling coming from around the chain area.

I racked my brain to make sure I checked tightness and that my rear axle was tight etc. Well it was night and no shops or stores were open so I kept pressing to my destination. When I roll up it had gotten bad and my friend had a horrified look from the noise he heard. I immediately checked my chain and it still felt tight and sprockets looked fine so I decided it was time to replace the chain which I was planning on doing soon anyway.

Well the next morning I went to a store (about 45 minutes away) and bought a nice DID chain that retailed for almost $200 at the store. I haggled my way down to $109 :eek: and took it back to put on my bike happy as could be.

Well I get back to install the chain and find there is no master link in the package!!! :confused: I was confused to say the least and of course the store closed 15 minutes before I found this out and there were no other stores open on Saturday. At this point I'm worried because I don't want to ride on my current chain but I need to make the 210 mile trip home on Sunday.

Well Sunday morning we wake up early and go back to the store and complain a little bit. After some searching the store couldn't find the master link so they gave me a new RK chain that was a good quality and this time I double checked for the master link!

After putting the chain on and everything I took it out for a ride and what a difference it made! Better responsiveness and felt like better power! (That could be all in my mind but it made me happy :D )

On my way up I got 44 MPG. On my way home with taking 60 miles of back road twisties, I was up to 49 MPG! I couldn't believe how much of a difference a chain could make! Never going to let it go that long again!

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
If your chain was that bad then your sprockets have to be at the end of there life also. Usually the chain and sprockets would be changed at the same time.

Also if the chain wasn't giving you problems before you tightened it and went for the ride you might have over tightened it. This would cause noise and possibly the drop in mileage.