Sat Nav

kierran87

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

Looking to start taking some longer trips now, but i'm not confident to do them as i don't know they way and don't want to keep stopping and looking at map or phone etc...

From what I've seen on the internet, Sat Nav systems for Bikes are expensive.

Are there cheaper ways to having a Sat Nav on the bike?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

Looking to start taking some longer trips now, but i'm not confident to do them as i don't know they way and don't want to keep stopping and looking at map or phone etc...

From what I've seen on the internet, Sat Nav systems for Bikes are expensive.

Are there cheaper ways to having a Sat Nav on the bike?

A GPS?

You can load a route into it, it generally highlights it and you follow it. They do make bike specific GPS's (waterproof, vibration resistant, etc, considerably more than automotive GPS's). You can use an automotive GPS on the bike but be prepared to cover it with a plastic sandwich bag should it start to rain or remove it...

Below is my car GPS. I did have a custom wiring harness made to drop the 12 volts bike electrical system down to the lower voltage for the GPS (same as what you plug inti your cig lighter) but mines hardwired and permanently wired to the bike and won't jiggle loose..

Last edited:

kierran87

Reaction score
Visit site
A GPS?

You can load a route into it, it generally highlights it and you follow kit. They do make bike specific GPS's (waterproof, vibration resistant, etc, considerably more than automotive GPS's). You can use an autotive GPS on the bike but be prepared to cover it with a plastic sandwich bag should it start to rain or remove it...

Below is my car GPS

Yeah, Car GPS are pretty cheap, but Bike specific one's here in the U.K are £300.00 or more. Is that a mound you made yourself or bought off someone?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, Car GPS are pretty cheap, but Bike specific one's here in the U.K are £300.00 or more. Is that a mound you made yourself or bought off someone?

The plastic part that actually HOLDS the GPS is a RAM mount, they make them for specific GPS models and have generic (the easiest) mounts to mount to the bike: RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.

The center stem nut was custom made (the company won't make anymore as it was a PIA to make), the stem arm and end swivel as I re-call was from Touratec, see below link .

I made the black alumuinum plate to mount to the ram mount itself so it'd fit the Touratec swivel end.

TECHMOUNT - Products makes many high quaility parts that would be considerably easier to mount to the bike(that's what they do) as does Gear, Parts & Accessories for Adventure Motorcycle Touring - Touratech-USA

Last edited:

hattu345

Reaction score
Visit site
fz6etrex20.jpg

I use a Garmin eTrex 20. It runs on two R6 batteries = no wiring. And it's fastened with electrical tape = no expensive mount.

odachi13

Reaction score
Visit site
I use my phone, it's a Nokia Lumia so they come with the reasonably good HereDrive sat nav app which works 100% offline.

It'l last without charge for 2/3 hours, but I couple it with a usb/cigarette charger which fixes to the handlebars and a £10 satnav motorcycle case (ebay it).

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The cheap, waterproof way to go: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16858989043
.. and just go with any car GPS (or phone). I use Garmin 2455. My particular GPS stinks, in my opinion, but this thread isn't about reviewing Garmin.

You want a cheap way to run GPS, the above setup has worked for me for many years.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A mate of mine uses a mobile phone in a water proof bag (similar to Erci's) mounted with a ram mount.
He originally paid for the android app from Tomtom, but this could not load ITN files (tomtom itinary routes).

When I googled this it seems that ITN files work with the tomtom App for windows mobile phones but not with the android app :(

Anyway if you do go this route make sure the app can be used with a planned route (for example GPX, GDB or ITN).

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyway if you do go this route make sure the app can be used with a planned route (for example GPX, GDB or ITN).

In addition, I would make sure that maps could be saved on device and mobile data would not be required. This is my issue with Google Maps on Android. Navigation works very well and it DOES allow saving maps for offline use, but if mobile data is disabled, it will only allow you to browse the map.. no navigation and no searching.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For cars a touchscreen gps works well but with motorcycles it's usually more practical with buttons.

Of course there are nice, useful features on motorcycle-specific GPS units (like big buttons), but original poster is looking for a less expensive way to have a usable GPS setup.

kierran87

Reaction score
Visit site
Of course there are nice, useful features on motorcycle-specific GPS units (like big buttons), but original poster is looking for a less expensive way to have a usable GPS setup.

Indeed i am. I have a HTC One with Google Maps etc... which looks like it wouldn't fit in that holder. Would have to by a Car Sat Nav and that and i'd be good to go.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I did not want to have a permanent mount on my bike so i bought one of those;

Support GPS moto SO EASY RIDER V5 pour GPS et grands smartphones - Taille 1 Support iphone moto

They attach with velcro to your bar clamp, i am very happy with it, it does everything it says on the tin.
I also bought the battery as i am not a big fan of wires and with both the GPS and the spare battery it lasts a good 10hours. It recharges via USB (iPhone charger)

They also do an iPhone specific case that might fit your HTC!

Last edited:

kierran87

Reaction score
Visit site
I use my phone, it's a Nokia Lumia so they come with the reasonably good HereDrive sat nav app which works 100% offline.

It'l last without charge for 2/3 hours, but I couple it with a usb/cigarette charger which fixes to the handlebars and a £10 satnav motorcycle case (ebay it).

Where does the USB Charger plug into on a bike? (Sorry if i'm being stupid here!)

kierran87

Reaction score
Visit site
I did not want to have a permanent mount on my bike so i bought one of those;

Support GPS moto SO EASY RIDER V5 pour GPS et grands smartphones - Taille 1 Support iphone moto

They attach with velcro to your bar clamp, i am very happy with it, it does everything it says on the tin.
I also bought the battery as i am not a big fan of wires and with both the GPS and the spare battery it lasts a good 10hours. It recharges via USB (iPhone charger)

That looks really good, although slightly more expensive. I've foudn this which will do the same job by the looks of it - 100% Waterproof GPS SatNav Motorcycle/Bike Case/Cover/Bag+Handlebar Mount Holder | eBay

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Where does the USB Charger plug into on a bike? (Sorry if i'm being stupid here!)

This requires a bit of work. You'll need to get a 12v weatherproof outlet and add it to your bike. It can live under your seat and you can route the wire from GPS under the gas tank. That's just one way to do it. There are many ways to get this done.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
U can install a battery tender and they sell a battery tender to usb plug.

Yup, that's another way. No need to actually install battery tender.. you can just get the leads with inline fuse. That's how mine is set up.

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
I use the Garmin Zumo 660 on my bikes. It's motorcycle specific and waterproof. Works great but is expensive. It was a gift from my sons or I wouldn't have it. Too much money. When I replace it I plan to get a much less expensive unit, the Numi line, and just put a plastic bag over it when it rains. They work just as well and save a lot of $$$.