Sand and turns..

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not really experienced, i've only ridden up and down my driveway with my new Bike(yamahafz6:thumbup:) but before that only the basic rider's course. Now, I want to ride my bike to work tomorrow, but there are curves on the backroads, and I feel I would have to do some leaning. Also, i'm worried about sand on the road.

Any tips on riding and not dying? :rolleyes:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you took the BRC from the MSF, the subject of loose surface debris were covered in your handbook that I hoped you kept and also in the video. It's important to be able to recognize them before hand rather than after the fact. Remember what they taught you about cornering. You should recognize the radius of the curve, surface condition and other highway users for every corner. You practiced that to a degree out on the range. In the event you encounter loose debris while you are leaned over in a curve, try to straighten the bike up to increase the surface traction between the tires and ground. Be very careful braking with loose surface debris such as sand and gravel, especially with the front brake. Although there are advanced braking techniques while cornering, with your limited experience, your best corrective action is to get that bike straightened up fast as possible, then slow down and brake if needed. Obviously having ABS would be great in these situations.

Enjoy your ride to and from work, I do every day. Wear your gear!

Last edited:

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
If you took the BRC from the MSF, the subject of loose surface debris were covered in your handbook that I hoped you kept and also in the video. It's important to be able to recognize them before hand rather than after the fact. Remember what they taught you about cornering. You should recognize the radius of the curve, surface condition and other highway users for every corner. You practiced that to a degree out on the range. In the event you encounter loose debris while you are leaned over in a curve, try to straighten the bike up to increase the surface traction between the tires and ground. Be very careful braking with loose surface debris such as sand and gravel, especially with the front brake. Although there are advanced braking techniques while cornering, with your limited experience, your best corrective action is to get that bike straightened up fast as possible, then slow down and brake if needed. Obviously having ABS would be great in these situations.

Enjoy your ride to and from work, I do every day. Wear your gear!

One of the turns is legit a 90 degree angled turn. Also, I forgot if I should pull the clutch in while turning/leaning? Or give it a little throttle plus play with the clutch? And I did keep the handbook :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One of the turns is legit a 90 degree angled turn. Also, I forgot if I should pull the clutch in while turning/leaning? Or give it a little throttle plus play with the clutch? And I did keep the handbook :thumbup:

Now you're scaring me .. how long has it been since your BRC?

No offense at all, please, but if you're asking that question you are not ready to ride on the street. Read the book again or better yet take the course again, if it's been a while since you've taken it.
Practice loads more before you venture out into traffic.

Shiny_side_up

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to agree with Erci here. Regardless of how much you want to ride it to work tomorrow, I'd spend a few days doing neighborhood rides and spending a bit of time in a big empty parking lot going back through the BRC skills. I do that every year at the beginning of the riding season as I don't ride all that often.

Turns are just like riding a bicycle, you'll find that many turns happen very naturally just by looking where you want to go - if you've got a commute ride where you're expecting to lean past where you're comfortable, you've either got a very aggressive road, or you're going too fast. Start off slow and gain confidence and instincts. You'll enjoy it a whole lot more in the long run.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Take your time learning and gaining confidence. If you're apprehensive and not relaxed your thought process and reading the road becomes impeded. The same with the inputs on body and control of the bike. Being tensed up can spell disaster when you must maneuver quickly. Relax and take all the time you need.
We also have great BRC/MSF instructors (Erci and VEGASRIDER) here on the forum that will gladly help you refresh the though process. :)

Relax enjoy and be safe! :)

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
Now you're scaring me .. how long has it been since your BRC?

No offense at all, please, but if you're asking that question you are not ready to ride on the street. Read the book again or better yet take the course again, if it's been a while since you've taken it.
Practice loads more before you venture out into traffic.

About 3 weeks ago. But no worries, I just took it for like a 20 minute drive, felt good

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
As for Moto and Shiny(I'm on my phone didn't see ya posts), appreciate it. I think I should be good. I was riding right now at night, turnin, etc. I keep on pressing the horn instead o the signal but that'll be easy getting used to

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
To answer your original question regarding turning: Slow, Look, Press, Roll. Look it up in the book.. make sure you understand it and be sure to put it to use. Be safe! :thumbup:

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't forget where that horn is, especially now that it's getting warmer people might actually hear you before they pull out infront of you, good lesson I learned on the forum. COVER THAT HORN!

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
As for Moto and Shiny(I'm on my phone didn't see ya posts), appreciate it. I think I should be good. I was riding right now at night, turnin, etc. I keep on pressing the horn instead o the signal but that'll be easy getting used to

Sounds to me like you might be overthinking things a bit, not uncommen for new riders. As stated before take your time and you'll be fine. Also if you are making a left or right turn and you think there might be sand or gravel in the road don't give it the beans until your through the turn and your bike is upright or your back tire could kick out from under you. Very scary feeling!

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds to me like you might be overthinking things a bit, not uncommen for new riders. As stated before take your time and you'll be fine. Also if you are making a left or right turn and you think there might be sand or gravel in the road don't give it the beans until your through the turn and your bike is upright or your back tire could kick out from under you. Very scary feeling!

Yeah I thin that was the case because when I went out last night I felt like a beast ;). But "don't give it the beans"? Clarify please

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
practice on backroads and streets that have little to no traffic before going out onto the freeways! Traffic is the worst thing to surround yourself with as a new rider!

rsmith2072

2007 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
Confidence,Confidence,Confidence....

Turning comes natural. As far as the sand you just have to judge on how bad it is. I live in Florida and i see a lot of sand. If its on a turn just remember not to panic and not to make a sudden move like hitting the brakes to hard or downshifting while in the turn. Just need practice. Learning is a process just remember not to rush it.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site

Pretty much hold the clutch in while your turning, maintain about 10,000 rpm and let go of the clutch mid corner... in 1st gear of course. :rockon

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
practice on backroads and streets that have little to no traffic before going out onto the freeways! Traffic is the worst thing to surround yourself with as a new rider!

I don't plan on hitting the freeway anytime soon lol. A lot of street riding until I fully comfortable.

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
But "don't give it the beans"? Clarify please
Accelerate. Like if your off-roading and your buddy yells to you as your chugging up a sand hill "Give it the beans man!"Blah But seriously if your going through a suspect corner don't accelerate hard until your through it.

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
Accelerate. Like if your off-roading and your buddy yells to you as your chugging up a sand hill "Give it the beans man!"Blah But seriously if your going through a suspect corner don't accelerate hard until your through it.

Haha never been off-roading, first time riding a motorcycle on the actual street. But good advice, i'll keep that in mind. :thumbup:

Druff

Reaction score
Visit site
Take it easy, you need to be cautious but relaxed.

Slow and steady, the more you ride the more confident you will become and you'll become more and more aware of the road, traffic and other conditions that you may or may not need to react too.

I'd rather take a corner WAY too slow than way too fast!

All in all, Be safe!