running rich/horrible mpg

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
i have never really checked my bikes mpg since ive had it 2 1/2 years, i took it to buffalo from erie pa, got 130 from full tank highway riding, and im smelling strong fuel smells from the exhaust, its a 2007 fz6 pc3, m4 slipons w/airbox mod, it hasnt been dynoed its got the map for the scorpion slipons and kn air filter, is there anything i can do w/o having the bike dynoed to adjust the ful ouput or find out why its running rich, im not sure of mpg ppl say from 30-50 with some getting 200plus from a tank...wtf am i missing? barely got 100 miles out of city riding

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There's a zero map that you should have for the FZ6. Up load that map to the PClll. Then disconnect the battery for a few minutes. You could also just eliminate the PClll.

As long as the bike still has the CAT pipe your good to go and shouldn't need the PClll in the first place but also do the battery disconnect.

When you put a fuel management system on a bike, think of it as the price and time of the unit plus $350 for a tune from a reputable tuner.

There's one more thing people do on the FZ6. They go into the CO1 and CO2 elements through the diagnostics on the bike computer and make adjustments.
Most people do this without a way of knowing what they are doing to the air to fuel ratios on the bike.

Besides these possible maladies you might need to check your TPS. Many think this is only on the 05 recalls but a TPS can fail at anytime just as any other component. The Throttle Position Sensor can cause the same problem. You can test the TPS through the diagnostics modes provided on the bike.

Throttle body synchronization is also a good thing to check. Unless you have some other major failure on the bike, attention to these areas should get you back to decent MPGs. :D

Last edited:

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
diagnostic modes available on the bike? does it just read out on the speedo or do i need to hook up laptop to it? had no idea there was anything other than a basic cpu on the bike, and how does one check their Throttle body synchronization, i have dled the maps ill upload the zero map for a tank and see what we get

Last edited:

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Try different map. I have K&N, LV pipes and PCIII with map from fuelmoto - I still get great mileage, almost same as before the mod. I also noticed my bike actually runs cooler. Great thing about PC that you can adjust it in wide variety. If there is no map for your combo - spend a few bucks and do a custom map at your local dyno shop

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
I suggested different map cause u are using scorpions map with mivv pipes.
Airbox mode I am also not crazy about.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
diagnostic modes available on the bike? does it just read out on the speedo or do i need to hook up laptop to it? had no idea there was anything other than a basic cpu on the bike, and how does one check their Throttle body synchronization, i have dled the maps ill upload the zero map for a tank and see what we get

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/536-diagnostic-mode.html

Here's some info on the diagnostic mode, if all else fails you could do the CO adjustment as well, I did on my bike since I haven't gotten it tuned yet, basically once unlocked you can richen or lean the bike out a little by the controls on your speedo

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
i did the zero map, will try it out see how it does, also there are 3 fuel buttons on the pc3 box itself for low mid and high, wth are these?, thanks for the link reading it now

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
Take it to a place that does dyno tuning. Have them fix it. Unless you are able to pull data and get an idea of what the A/F ratio is doing you are shooting into the dark. Either that or pull the PCIII and sell it an go back to stock tune.