Rocky Mountain Shakedown trip

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Picked up some Motopak saddle bags and figured I should road test them before heading out on a "real" trip. Headed to Rocky Mountain National Park, then northwest to nowhere (Walden) and finally looped back east. Bags did great! I was concerned wind blast would blow them out, so fabricated a bracket under rear seat to attach lower straps. Not sure it was needed but they're solid now.

Weather and roads were great. Pic below is coming into Estes Park, RMNP mountains in background. Once in the park, there was more bicyclists than cars.
attachment.php

Saw this cruiser off to the side of the road, buried over it's axles in snow. It appears to have been there a while. I have a feeling it spent the winter in a snow drift and has only recently become visible again.
attachment.php

Willow Creek Pass and the Continental Divide. FZ6 was breathing a little hard at elevation, but then who doesn't? This was on Hwy 125 and had some great secluded twisty roads.
attachment.php

Stopped in Walden for lunch. Highly recommend the River Rock Cafe. Actually it's about the only place in town, so thankful food and service was good.
attachment.php

All total, did about 350 miles in 11 hours (lot of breaks). I recall Whirlygirl used a baby seal pelt or sheepskin for her trans-nation trip and now I see why!

Last edited:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great shots, D! RMNP I haven't been to in many years, its a great place, I need to get back. :thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a great ride. I grew up in EP and miss going to RMNP for hiking, fishing, skiing and bike rides.

That cruiser is too funny! He must have gotten stuck in one of the huge early season snow storms and then they closed the roads for the winter.

Enjoy your tour, it sounds like fun. :thumbup: