Rizoma Rearsets

What aftermarket rearsets should Mark buy?

• Get the Gilles Tooling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep the stockers w/ setback plates (which I currently have)

• Another manufacturer or get a used aftermarket set (please explain)

• Total voters

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am looking to purchase some proper rearsets for my 2007 FZ6.

I have been using the Ozo setback plates and the stock footpegs/controls, and they have worked very well for me. However, I live in coastal SoCal, and although it's always been either garaged or covered, certain bits are oxidizing and the crap stamped metal rearsets are beginning to show their age.

(Ozo's setback plates, I should mention, have not aged/weathered AT ALL. They are FLAWLESS, like the day I received them! They should make the damn stock footpegs out of the same material! :thumbup: I am grateful to Ozo for fabricating those for us, thanks buddy!)

That, and on the shift (port) side, rather than bend the shift linkage arm around the frame (since it doesn't fit through the frame with the setback plates), I used a bunch of washers to shim the rearsets out from the frame.

This has always made me nervous, as I've feared that I would shear off the head of the bolt(s) that hold the rearset onto the setback plate. See attached images.

So now I am looking for the Rizoma rearsets. I spoke with PJ at PJ's Parts, he doesn't have any in stock "and none in Italy, either" he said, but he is going to check with the Italians before he gives up entirely. So I am waiting to hear from PJ, I hope he can come through.

If my link above didn't work, here it is:

Rear set controls "REV" universal by Rizoma Bikes Accessories

I found one other place that seems to have them, linked here.

Does anyone have any recent experience trying to procure these? I remember one of the SoCal forum members had a set, I saw them on the epic group ride out to Anza Borrego a couple of years back (where my profile picture with the CHP officer came from!).

Alternatively, I might be interested in some Gilles Tooling one instead; see that image as well.

Gilles Tooling AS31GT Rear Sets (Non-ABS Model) - OPPRACING Products

I am a little concerned about the ability to fit rearsets for the pre-2007 model years on my '07, because I am not sure if they are compatible or not.

I kind of prefer the look of the Rizomas, but the Gilles are pretty sweet too (I'd get the black or silver ones, not the gold.)

What do you guys think? Personal preferences between the two (or possibly others that I should consider)? Any recommendations on vendors?

EDIT: the first two photos are mine - with the shift linkage running outside the frame. The Rizomas are the silver w/ black toe shifter, and the Gilles are the ones in the picture with the "OPP" in the bottom right corner of the image.

Last edited:

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
I vote for the rizomas as all their parts are top quality. No experience with Gilles, but I've heard good things too..

In case you want to broaden your search, look at the ottimoto ones.. not as trick as the rizoma, but they're good quality and great value as they're about half price compared to the other 2. They were a little bit of pain to install correctly, but I haven't had a problem with them over the past couple years and ~15k miles.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely Rizoma. If I didn't have other things to spend my $ on at the moment, I would get them. I absolutely love the look of them.

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
It's been a while, but as far as I can remember I had to fiddle for a while to get the shifter side right. The linkage arm is larger than the stock one, and unless the whole rearset assembly is shimmed just right, it rubs against the frame and prevent shifting.. so it took me a little while getting it right by trial and errors. Also, some of the bolts in the kit were too short, so I had to source some locally. Nothing major honestly, just not exactly the plug and play quality that you would expect from rizoma, valtermoto, gilles, etc..

This would actually have been very useful back when I was installing mine: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/39114-ottimoto-installation-guide.html
I shimmed mine slightly differently (I kept the stock rubber washers against the frame for instance), but this post will give you a very good idea of the install.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Victor - and bd43 for that amazing how-to writeup! - for the links and info.

That is interesting that it has to be shimmed over, that is kind of exactly what I am trying to avoid. Granted, I had to do that in the extreme with the Ozo setback plates and stock rearsets, but still ...

PJ's Parts confirms that the supplier is all out of FZ6 Rizomas. :( Too bad, they are my favorite of the bunch. He sugested the Valtermotos, I will have to check them out.