rim stripe removal !!! OMG *shoots self in the head*

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
lol ok i bought these pre-curved reflective rim stripes off ebay. first it was nearly impossible to put on as a perfect circle (not sure how some of you pros did it). now i can't stand how horrible it looks so i went to remove them. nearly impossible with the rim on the bike. took it off and took me almost 2 hours to clean and scrape them off with a plastic scrapper. then there're still these sticky goo stuck on it. so now i gotta spend another hour rubbing them off with the dremel.

i thought about covering them up with black rim stripes but it might looks just as bad. just a heads up to those who are thinking about putting on the stripes. either you get it on perfect the first time or you might just go through what i have to go through.

now i gotta work on the front wheel. OMG!!!!!!!!!

LOL

Last edited:

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
i know exactly what youre talking about, after removing an inch i re striped that inch and decided to love my rim stripes forever...

Jb40k

Reaction score
www.twitter.com
I feel your pain Fazer.Rider... I had the same problem, only with the narrow straight tape. It was such a pain in the arse to put on straight, mine ended up all wobbly... from a distance the wheels looked warped! It took a good night to get the tape off, and then another to white spirit the goo off too.

Never one to give up, I opted for the wider stripe (which conveniently came with an application tool), I'm much happier now with straight and clean stripes, albeit still not perfect!

My advice for anybody wanting a PERFECT finish is to look at removing the wheel, lay it flat and then investing in the tape with the little plastic applicator!

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
Careful with that Dremel! You don't wanna scratch up your rims! I've had similar experience removing stickers/decals from bodywork. I found that polishing with some WD40 helped but it's a bugger of a job. Good luck!

Aleziel

Reaction score
Visit site
did you try benzine/gasoline/alcohol to clean the glue? or were you using water? i have used colored rims on my older bikes but they werent a problem really, the first one was a bit wonky but the rest 3 sides were fine. (didnt take the curved ones though, used the straight one with the guide tool.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
lol ok i bought these pre-curved reflective rim stripes off ebay. first it was nearly impossible to put on as a perfect circle (not sure how some of you pros did it). now i can't stand how horrible it looks so i went to remove them. nearly impossible with the rim on the bike. took it off and took me almost 2 hours to clean and scrape them off with a plastic scrapper. then there're still these sticky goo stuck on it. so now i gotta spend another hour rubbing them off with the dremel.

i thought about covering them up with black rim stripes but it might looks just as bad. just a heads up to those who are thinking about putting on the stripes. either you get it on perfect the first time or you might just go through what i have to go through.

now i gotta work on the front wheel. OMG!!!!!!!!!

LOL
Use a hairdryer to heat the sticker first before trying to remove it. Have used this on cars and it works really well....

paul1149

Riding with the King
Reaction score
Visit site
The heat gun idea is the way to go. I just had to remove an XM bracket from my car's dashboard, and those things are amazingly sticky. A little heat cut right through the adhesion and it came off easily, without scars.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe try using a rag or peice of cloth with a tiny bit of kerosine on it, should take the sticky stuff off, just make sure you wash the areas after wiping.

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i had tried all the tricks in the book. hairdryer, wd40, goo remover and etc etc.

on the dremel i used a soft foamtip to polish the rim with wd40. finally got everything off. did not scratch the rim. putting the rear wheel back on is always a pain. the rear caliper always gets stuck before i can slide it in the slot.

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
im sure a local bodyshop can take it off for you in about 5 minutes, for a couple bucks.

We simply have decal remover erasers hooked up to air that spin at high rpm thatll take the sticker and all remaining goo off in a breeze. Not to mention solvents designed for adhesive removal. I de-stickered my ENTIRE bike in about 2.5minutes, they work awesome and wont hurt paint

if some of you guys are spending hours(?!?!) just to take off stickers, id suggest just swinging by a shop with a 12 pack, hell they may even share one with ya

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
im sure a local bodyshop can take it off for you in about 5 minutes, for a couple bucks.

We simply have decal remover erasers hooked up to air that spin at high rpm thatll take the sticker and all remaining goo off in a breeze. Not to mention solvents designed for adhesive removal. I de-stickered my ENTIRE bike in about 2.5minutes, they work awesome and wont hurt paint

if some of you guys are spending hours(?!?!) just to take off stickers, id suggest just swinging by a shop with a 12 pack, hell they may even share one with ya
YES!! people should start swinging by shop's with 12 packs when they want a favor!! not just body shops though,us general repair shop mechanics like beer too!! :cheer: :beer: :D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dunno if you can get it in any other part of the world....but Eucalyptus oil isgreat for removing glue goo! comes straight off in seconds, without removing any paint....

Dont have a good idea for actually getting the rim stripes off...have done it myself....huge PITA!!!!

I, like a few others seem to be doing, suggest that Beer is a very important part of doing this job!

Joshua Redman

Reaction score
Visit site
Damn, I just bought one of those from eBay and I'm waiting for the package to arrive :)

Does anyone have any useful tip how to put them on in a good way? (almost perfect circle or so..) Or maybe you would suggest not to do it at all?

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Damn, I just bought one of those from eBay and I'm waiting for the package to arrive :)

Does anyone have any useful tip how to put them on in a good way? (almost perfect circle or so..) Or maybe you would suggest not to do it at all?

Do what Geetarhero is suggesting!! bring a 12 pack to a body shop,and ask for a little help... just might work... i know I would help you put them on for a 12 pack of Michelob Ultra!! :D

Joshua Redman

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys :)
Not really sure I have bodyshop around here but I'll ask around or hope to find something similar.. Better that than trying to lay it myself, I doubt it'll look like a circle :D