Riding in Jeans? Think again...

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Looked at some kevlar lined jeans last weekend at Barber's Vintage Festival. Talked the the guy who owned the company - he was wearing a pair of the jeans and they looked great. Could not tell they were riding jeans. The Kevlar lines the jeans and stops at about the top of where a boot would end so your whole leg would be protected as long as you were not wearing tennis shoes or flip flops. Have been meaning to look into the jeans and this gives me a big prod.

MapleJeans.com

Would be great if they only didn't cost $400.

Dainese D6 looks fairly nice too and costs $220.

I understand that it's a premium product but the cheapo in me says you could get 2 Daniese pairs of jeans or 4 pairs of AGV or other cheaper brand of kevlar lined jeans.

I understand that economies of scale are in play here in making the price so high.

If I had been a bit more richer I would support the "little guy" rather than a corporation.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I saw an ad for draggin jeans once where the guy was dragged on his ass behind a bike and no damage done. I need to get some, gearing up sometimes takes longer than the actual ride.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got some Icon Device Overpants. They're 100 bucks at revzilla. The fit is great, it has adjustable knee armor, and absolutely no air gets through these things. So for summer I'll have to get something else, but these will do great in the cold!

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Xkulcha Jeans Test

Can't figure out how to embed the you-tubes :ban:

I wear this brand easy overs, the only bike gear company that i know of that will replace your gear for free if you fall and return it to them. They analyse real world damage to keep improving their gear.

Of course, if you're only wearing jeans ... :spank:

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
I need to get some cases so that I can just stash my gear on the bike instead of carrying it with me...

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Were they Maple Jeans?

That's pretty much the average running price for the kevlar lined jeans.

I think Dragging jeans used to go for something like $80.

I asked Wayne over at Motoport about these jeans, here's his response.

The Kevlar Jeans are very similar to Dragon Jeans. A complete gimmick. They use sections of Kevlar under the denim material. Denim tears at 4 pounds, so you need to land perfectly on the Kevlar sections. To make the pant even worse is that they use pure Kevlar sections that have the same abrasion strength as cotton.

Best regards,
Wayne Boyer
CEO Motoport USA
340 Rancheros Dr. #184
San Marcos, CA 92069
800-777-6499
760-752-1048
Fax: 760-752-9317

www.motoport.com

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I asked Wayne over at Motoport about these jeans, here's his response.

The Kevlar Jeans are very similar to Dragon Jeans. A complete gimmick. They use sections of Kevlar under the denim material. Denim tears at 4 pounds, so you need to land perfectly on the Kevlar sections. To make the pant even worse is that they use pure Kevlar sections that have the same abrasion strength as cotton.

Best regards,
Wayne Boyer
CEO Motoport USA
340 Rancheros Dr. #184
San Marcos, CA 92069
800-777-6499
760-752-1048
Fax: 760-752-9317

www.motoport.com

Thanks for the info.

That's why I ride in real motorcycle pants. On rare occasion I wear regular jeans instead.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Good reminder. I'm guilty of riding in jeans on my short 5 minutes commute to work but I always wear my armored textile overpants when on longer routes or spirited rides. I really should just throw the pants on every day. Honestly a broken arm can be better than road rash...especially on your ass or God forbid...if you slid down the road on your nutsack! :eek:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride to work in poly/cotton work pants. 55kms (34mi) each way, with a combination of 110kph (70mi) and 60kph (37mi) zones.

Unfortunately, I can't wear kevlar pants at work, and I already have to leave for work at 0415 to make sure I get there on time, so changing isn't an option...

I did have an accident several years ago, wearing my RJays leather jacket, fingerless gloves, Rossi boots and some cheap jeans.

A car overtaking me on double whites suddenly merged back in, hitting the swing-arm on my TDM900.

I highsided, and got catapulted off the bike (which righted itself and continued down the road for 170m (558ft), before hitting a powerpole) and hit the ground and slid/rolled for approximately 160m(528ft).

I remember hitting the ground and sliding, which immediately burned through my jeans, and hurt!

So I dipped the shoulder, and began to roll.

When I came to rest, I immediately stood up and surveyed the damage.

My padded, armoured, reinforced jacket was perfect (I sold it later, completely intact) and a had a small hole in my jeans on my right hip (under which there was road rash, about the size of a playing card.

The powerpole, which was laying on the ground, due to it being replaced, smashed the engine casing and exhaust of my bike, but I was relatively ok.

I walked to the Police Station to make the report and to call my, then, girlfriend (now wife!) to come and get me.

We went up to the hospital where they used the 'toothbrush on the road rash' treatment, cleaned it and sent me home. My wife, then an aged carer, had the job of keeping the abrasion site clean, until it healed.

All and all, not bad - I've seriously done more damage falling off a pushy, and I attribute this to my martial arts training when I was younger. (Ukemi-Waza has never had a more serious application!)

So, the point of this, is if you come off - roll, roll, roll.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
hmm while that sucks for that dude, I do still find myself riding somedays without my overpants, sometimes jeans and sometimes just shorts. but thats when I ride from my house to school/work which is all of a mile away on 30mph max roads. I do try to wear my overpants most the time, but I always wear my helmet, jacket, and gloves; it just feels weird not too.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll add myself to the guilty group here of riding in jeans (for the most part).

That is the main part that is missing for me to be ATGATT!!!

Thanks for the reminder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
hmm while that sucks for that dude, I do still find myself riding somedays without my overpants, sometimes jeans and sometimes just shorts. but thats when I ride from my house to school/work which is all of a mile away on 30mph max roads. I do try to wear my overpants most the time, but I always wear my helmet, jacket, and gloves; it just feels weird not too.

just remember around 17% of accidents happen within 1 mile of home, also 30mph is enough to rip through jeans and skin

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Back on the 80's riding in jeans wad considered being safe. There wasn't much inthe way of gear then.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2