Reviving the Dead: FZ6 not ridden for 10yrs

EastcoastRN

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, fuel tank 95% clean, but need advice about that last stubborn 5 percent. Two, 48hr periods of soaking in metal rescue has removed almost all but there is stubborn bits along seam and other areas. You can see a great deal was removed but I don't know if those gummed up seams are rust, or could they be varnish from old gas and that's why they aren't coming off? Also, if it is rust, can I coat the tank over that little bit and just seal the remaining bits of rust from moisture?

Attachments

• IMG-2024.JPG
    IMG-2024.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-2025.JPG
    IMG-2025.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-2026.JPG
    IMG-2026.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-2027.JPG
    IMG-2027.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 20

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, fuel tank 95% clean, but need advice about that last stubborn 5 percent. Two, 48hr periods of soaking in metal rescue has removed almost all but there is stubborn bits along seam and other areas. You can see a great deal was removed but I don't know if those gummed up seams are rust, or could they be varnish from old gas and that's why they aren't coming off? Also, if it is rust, can I coat the tank over that little bit and just seal the remaining bits of rust from moisture?

Looks a lot better, but I am guessing that rust is rust, a little or a lot will be a problem. We need GARY!!!!!!!!

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just read the product data sheet for Red-Kote. From the PDS...

"Red-Kote seals light rust under the coating so it cannot flake off to plug fuel-line filters or cause engine damage. Further rusting is also reduced. "

If you can't get it to flake off with a tool, then you are good to go.

EastcoastRN

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, I’m going to give it a try after this. Fuel sender and screen came in. Time to put the pieces back together. Fingers crossed.

EastcoastRN

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ugh, running into a snag. FZ6 has lips on upper and low opening for gas tank. This means there is no way to remove excess to point where there wont be pooling. That would render the whole sealant process useless as per the instructions. Not sure what to do next. Only option I can think would be to bring tank to have drain spout welded at shop but seems excessive overall. Ugh, bummed out but hoping you smart fellers can help me with an idea or product that can help.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You’re good to go. The trick is to only use the amount of Red-Kote that you need to coat the tank. If there is no excess there is no pooling. Start with a small amount (like 4 oz) and move it around the tank, then only add the amount needed to cover the exposed spots. An inspection mirror will help identify the bare spots.

EastcoastRN

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ITS ALIVE! I wish I could post the startup video on here but my phone is being weird. However, the start was very successful, new fuel pump had no issues. Hopefully tank liner holds up well, gave it 4 days to cure with good air flow through tank after 2 days. And gary you were correct it did end up needing new battery. Next up is to complete the Naked conversion, new chain, and new tires. Thank you all for your help and advice.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ITS ALIVE! I wish I could post the startup video on here but my phone is being weird. However, the start was very successful, new fuel pump had no issues. Hopefully tank liner holds up well, gave it 4 days to cure with good air flow through tank after 2 days. And gary you were correct it did end up needing new battery. Next up is to complete the Naked conversion, new chain, and new tires. Thank you all for your help and advice.

Excellent!!!!! Another FZ6 lives on.