Restricted vs Unrestricted - differences?

AgentW

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

I passed my test about 4 months ago. I love my FZ6. However, it's restricted to 33Bhp. My question is, what differences are there in the bike between an unrestricted and a restricted one? Here's what I know:

I can just about top out 100mph (I've seen the three figures on the speedo - although the tomtom was saying about 93 at the time).

So, what's the difference off the line, top speed, power band, throttle?

Should I get it derestricted by taking an accelerated test? Assuming I passed, it'd cost me 60 quid so that i was entitled to ride unrestricted. Alternatively, I wait two years.

Pete

Pete Pete Pete
Reaction score
www.flickr.com
How long have you got left? I had it on for a few months until my restriction elapsed. The difference is like getting a new bike. You'll find the throttle comes round much further, the revs pick up much quicker and in top gear you can add another 40 or so mph to the top speed.

I remember before it was restricted a friend on her SV650 would take the mickey out of me, once I'd had it derestricted she didn't stand a chance.

I don't think I could wait the whole two years knowing what it could do, but if you are going to do your DAS then get it done before October!

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
They are completely changing the motorcycle test. In October, riders will have to go to 'test centres' located around the country and take an off-the-road test on a closed circuit. It's going to cause chaos but the g'mt doesn't care because they hate motorcycles. Ggrrrr... Apparently it's all to do with EU regulations.

Pete

Pete Pete Pete
Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Yet I'm pretty sure were the only EU country to do it. The examination centres which were pretty much one to a large town are now down to one or two per county. I know in Yorkshire we were meant to have four or five but only two will be ready in time. They have been coined 'super centres'.

The new test involves all the bits and bobs that you did on your CBT but will actually be examined. I think the emergency stop is now tested even before you leave the test centre.

delboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

I passed my test about 4 months ago. I love my FZ6. However, it's restricted to 33Bhp. My question is, what differences are there in the bike between an unrestricted and a restricted one? Here's what I know:

I can just about top out 100mph (I've seen the three figures on the speedo - although the tomtom was saying about 93 at the time).

So, what's the difference off the line, top speed, power band, throttle?

Should I get it derestricted by taking an accelerated test? Assuming I passed, it'd cost me 60 quid so that i was entitled to ride unrestricted. Alternatively, I wait two years.

My restriction was up last Monday and i toyed with the idea of derestricting it, but it would devalue to bike too much as it's factory restricted. Now thinking of a new S2 or maybe a 2004 FZ1, but will probably go with the S2. FZ1 might be too much! :D

AgentW

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, don't steal my thread! :)

I'm wondering whether to do this Direct Access thing then. It doesn't really matter if I fail, because I still have the big bike (although i shouldn't fail, I passed it before!)

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would take it before October as it is going to be a mess for some months after they introduce the new system.

The unrestricted bike can get to 100MPH is seconds and has roughly 3 times the power.:squid:

Take it easy when you pass

B

bluenova

They are completely changing the motorcycle test. In October, riders will have to go to 'test centres' located around the country and take an off-the-road test on a closed circuit. It's going to cause chaos but the g'mt doesn't care because they hate motorcycles. Ggrrrr... Apparently it's all to do with EU regulations.

Ah I see. That's the way it is here in Belgium, you have to prove yourself in a test centre before going out on the road, and have done a certain amount of lessons. Same goes for cars and bikes. The crazy thing is, once you have proved yourself in the test centre, they then let you lose on the open road on your own! (with L plates though).

I'm glad I did the intensive course in the UK :Sport:

B

bluenova

I just had a look at the circuit here:
MCIA

It's practically the same as the ones in Belgium.

(Sorry for hogging your thread AgentW)

Pete

Pete Pete Pete
Reaction score
www.flickr.com
This is for your licence, the situation your describing is similar to our Compulsary Basic Training (CBT) which must be done before you can ride on L plates. What we are describing above is the new test which involves doing similar skills to your CBT (slow speed manouvering, figure of 8, turn in the road and emergancy stop) but actually under exam conditions.

Where as before all of that (in the test) was carried out on the public highway in real life conditions, the new european rules are coming in meaning you've got to do it at these super test centres.

When you did the intensive course (Direct AccesS) you may have done a short CBT before you started your training, but the test was carried out on the road.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I did my CBT about a year ago and then did my Direct Access test in December. I did 2.5 days of intensive riding (i.e. 8 hours a day) instruction before the test. The main problem with it was the fact that they only tought us how to pass the test - not how to ride well. For that we need to do either the IAM or RoPSA course.

AgentW

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm definately thinking of doing the Enhanced Rider Scheme thing. I believe I'm safe but I'd like to be able to take corners faster whilst keeping the safety, improve positioning, etc.

I don't think I'm a naturally good biker; so think I would benefit enormously from this.

Sometimes I think it would be safer to be de-restricted. Sitting at [a certain speed] on the road is fine but it would be nice to feel that there's something extra there if I get in a tight spot.

FZ6S2LDN

Reaction score
Visit site
I would 100% recommend derestricting your bike. This is a powerful bike, with plenty of top end torque. I passed my restricted license test on a Yamaha DT125X, then bought a FZ6 S2 08. The restriction itself is done by the dealer. My dealership gave me a choice, they fit the restriction kit, or I tell them "I fited it", and they gave me the certificate. Now, its not he most legal way, but I really couldnt wait 2 years. I will reset my test, but honestly its worth de-restricting. BTW the restriction is on the throttle, it limits the amout u can turn the throttle. Cost me £150 for a poxy certificate. Also un-restricted my top speed so far is 136mph, felt like it had more to give as well....was a few cars in front.

colobb

Reaction score
Visit site
I did my CBT about 10 years ago, and I would say its pretty much the same - the closed course part - as the Colorado motorcycle test. Shows you how easy it is over here. I was actually hit from behind by a cager, when I knocked it into gear and was about to pull away from a set of traffic lights. "I thought that you were moving". Idiot. The instructor came back and gave him verbal bashing.

Anyway, when my brother took his test and passed - even though he hit some oil or fuel on the road earlier in the day and totalled the school's bike - he obviously had the restricted license, I think he was 19, the bike he bought was not restricted and the insurance company never asked for the certificate to prove it. I say unrestrict the thing. How many cops are going to be able to tell you its not restricted, and as long as you have the certificate to prove it, go for it. Up to you though, its your license and your money.