Replacing the CCT

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello guys. I come to you seeking help for the dreaded task of replacing the CCT on the '05 FZ6.

I can get a genuine CCT for about $AU100, and I like this option because the stock one has thus far lasted 60000kms, and I haven't had to fiddle with it - whereas a manual CCT will need adjusting, with the potential for over/under tightening etc.

I have read the various posts on doing this, on these here forums, and other forums - but I an just trying to get an 'all in one place' description really.

Firstly, as I have just done an oil change ($96!), can the side cover of the cam chain be removed without dropping the oil? (does the oil sit low enough in the sump?)

The reason I ask this is I'm looking at employing the ziptie method to ensure the chain doesn't skip a tooth.

Having said that, however, how likely is this? Can I not just loosen the two allen head bolts holding the CCT on, and put the new one on?

Do I need to fiddle with the centre screw in the adjuster?

Does anyone know if the genuine CCT has the plate/tape/whatever that keeps the CCT pin retracted for easier installation? (I read that this is removed after fitting/engaging the allen head bolts to assist with fitting)

There is a heap of different methods, but I'm thinking KISS - if I can just unbolt this one and replace, that would be the easier method?

I would really appreciate a 'how to' from someone that has done this on their FZ6, as I like to tackle all tasks I attempt on my bike with the greatest amount of knowledge as possible.

Please help!

Cheers,
Rick

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
Firstly, as I have just done an oil change ($96!), can the side cover of the cam chain be removed without dropping the oil? (does the oil sit low enough in the sump?) - Yes it sits low enough to remove the cover.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello guys. I come to you seeking help for the dreaded task of replacing the CCT on the '05 FZ6.

I can get a genuine CCT for about $AU100, and I like this option because the stock one has thus far lasted 60000kms, and I haven't had to fiddle with it - whereas a manual CCT will need adjusting, with the potential for over/under tightening etc.

I have read the various posts on doing this, on these here forums, and other forums - but I an just trying to get an 'all in one place' description really.

Firstly, as I have just done an oil change ($96!), can the side cover of the cam chain be removed without dropping the oil? (does the oil sit low enough in the sump?)

The reason I ask this is I'm looking at employing the ziptie method to ensure the chain doesn't skip a tooth.

Having said that, however, how likely is this? Can I not just loosen the two allen head bolts holding the CCT on, and put the new one on?

Do I need to fiddle with the centre screw in the adjuster?

Does anyone know if the genuine CCT has the plate/tape/whatever that keeps the CCT pin retracted for easier installation? (I read that this is removed after fitting/engaging the allen head bolts to assist with fitting)

There is a heap of different methods, but I'm thinking KISS - if I can just unbolt this one and replace, that would be the easier method?

I would really appreciate a 'how to' from someone that has done this on their FZ6, as I like to tackle all tasks I attempt on my bike with the greatest amount of knowledge as possible.

Please help!

Cheers,
Rick

You don't have to drain any oil, just keep the bike on the side stand. I would zip tie the chain to just to be sure (cheap insurance). Should the chain be somewhat worn, skip a tooth when there's no tension, you NOW have problems...

The NEW CCT will have a small piece in it that keeps it retracted. Once the new unit is in the block, pull that piece out and it'll extend out to the normal operating position. Make sure you have a new CCT gasket. Piece of cake. :thumbup: