Renting a motorcycle?

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Right now, I'm looking forward to a trip to the Scottsdale, Arizona area to visit with some friends and family. One of my high school buddies lives out there and he wants to get together for a motorcycle ride.

I've been researching different rental companies in the Scottsdale/ Phoenix area and found a few different possible bikes.

My buddy rides a Harley, and I'm sure that he would really like to see me rent a similar bike to his. Sadly, I've ridden my buddies Honda Shadow 750 and it was a much different riding style than I'm used to. The steering, braking, acceleration and overall handling were really lacking when compared to my FZ6. For that reason alone, I would really like to stick with a motorcycle similar to the FZ6 in riding style and performance. It's something I'll be much more comfortable on, and will enjoy the trip instead of trying to learn an entirely different style of bike.

One company offers an R6 for rent, which initially sounds cool, but I worry that it won't be as comfortable as my Fizzer.

Another company offers a BMW F800 ST which looks strikingly similar to the FZ6. It's a twin cylinder motor that produces around 85 hp and should have pretty good handling.

There is also a Yamaha FJR 1300 which should be a sweet bike, but I worry it might be a bit larger than I'm used to.

Does anybody have any experience renting a motorcycle, and given the choices, which of the 3 listed bikes would likely fit my style the best?

As always, thanks for the insight!

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Haven't rented anything..... rode a whole bunch of different bikes when I was selling them years ago.

-- Why would you want to repeat where you already are, bikewise? What happens in Scottsdale, stays in Scottsdale, LOL.

If there is a bike you would consider trading to in the future, use this time to check it out. Depending on how far you would be riding, I'd think the FJ, followed by the R6, followed by the ST. The ST is really, really close performance wise to the FZ, IMHO.

Stretch your wings a bit.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh man I can help you on this one. I did rent a GoldWing from AZride.com rentals a few years back. Monica was awesome, they provided a perfect bike with maps and very helpfull advice on roads all over AZ.
I would think you would be very happy with the BMW 800. Are you renting for just one day or several days?
When I was there, they had more than the bikes listed so you may want to call or e mail her. Highly recommend these folks.
PS. Spring the $ for the best insurance they offer, heaven forbid something happens but IF it does you will want good coverage.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't rented anything..... rode a whole bunch of different bikes when I was selling them years ago.

-- Why would you want to repeat where you already are, bikewise? What happens in Scottsdale, stays in Scottsdale, LOL.

If there is a bike you would consider trading to in the future, use this time to check it out. Depending on how far you would be riding, I'd think the FJ, followed by the R6, followed by the ST. The ST is really, really close performance wise to the FZ, IMHO.

Stretch your wings a bit.

+1

That'd be like renting a car when on vacation and asking for the same make and model you drive at home.

I'd probably go witht he FJR.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd go with the BMW 800st. Nice bike. I sat on one a couple weeks ago and realized its ergos were very similar to the fz6. The seat height is a little taller though.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh man I can help you on this one. I did rent a GoldWing from AZride.com rentals a few years back. Monica was awesome, they provided a perfect bike with maps and very helpfull advice on roads all over AZ.
I would think you would be very happy with the BMW 800. Are you renting for just one day or several days?
When I was there, they had more than the bikes listed so you may want to call or e mail her. Highly recommend these folks.
PS. Spring the $ for the best insurance they offer, heaven forbid something happens but IF it does you will want good coverage.

Thanks for the info! Azride.com is the same exact company I'm looking to rent from. I just spoke with Monica this evening and she was very pleasant and helpful. I will probably only be renting the bike for one day. It will likely be something to keep myself occupied while the wife is out doing something with her mother. Did Azride.com provide protective gear, or are you on your own to supply the gear?

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Ask Monica, I had my own gear as I had the Wing for 5 days.

I can't believe as an FJR owner I am saying this but If I was renting for only one day I would look real hard at the GS 1200 or the 800. They are a great handling bikes and not as heavy as the Feejeer. Maybe better for around town or a day ride.

However if you plan to get out of town and stretch you legs then the FJR is a blast. You would be amazed by the smooth power, good luck not getting a ticket.

A great day ride would be over to Globe up to Roosevelt and back to town on 88. Again Monica knows what can be done in a day.

Too bad about your Harley buddy cause he won't be able to keep up with you;)
When are you going? Those bigger bikes can be a bit warm in the heat.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I rented a bmw 800S and ST once, pretty nice bikes, better torque then the fz6 but I absolutely HATE the paralel twin, and the completely plastic front fairing, including the fake gas tank. it vibrates and makes noise, and I don't mean the noise you get from the fz6 with akra's or 2bro's.. So wouldn't buy it, but renting it for a weekend should be good fun, I had :)