removing handlebars

ph0xx

Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried searching for it but couldn't find anything so far... Can someone please tell me the correct size allen wrench to remove the center bolts when taking off the handlebars? Out of all my 30 or so allen wrenches I have, I couldn't find the right size. It's an '04. Thanks in advance.

nabaah

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 09 the only hex bolts on the handlebars are for the brake lever mount. Those are 5mm in hex or an allen wrench. The 4 bolts that hold the handlebar to the upper triple tree are 10mm and the bolt that holds the clutch onto the handlebar is 8mm, but those take sockets. There's a few phillips screws that hold the switch to the handlebar.

Dartanubis

Reaction score
Visit site
I used a t30 to remove mine a week ago and to get all the clutch lever off you got to get a socket wrench just like the previous guy said and the rest is just a screwdriver.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My 07 also uses a hex bolt but my aftermarket bar risers (same thread but recessed allen heads) are 6mm as noted above.

If you have a Home Depo nearby, they have a metric (and SAE) Husky brand set, lifetime warranty in a neat, book stlye case with hande for $11.00. I needed a 9mm (really odd size) for the GF's brake job, their the only ones, short of ordering online, that had it (in the set).

NAPA can also get the 6mm with a 3/8 drive as well..

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Guys above Townsend.... All bikes are not created equal...lol he has a 04 and yes it does use Allen head machine screws, Not metric bolts. And yes the correct size is 6mm, 100% certain

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
yea i use my torx instead of allen/hex wrenches they get the job done for me so far haven't had any problems removing anything.

They will work in a pinch but if it's something that you remove a lot, it's best if you get the right tools because it will eventually strip the head out

Dartanubis

Reaction score
Visit site
They will work in a pinch but if it's something that you remove a lot, it's best if you get the right tools because it will eventually strip the head out

yea i never remove my parts or add any on i had to cause i wrecked my bike and i needed stuff replaced and i didnt have the exact tools i needed so it helped as you said in a pinch to get what i needed done.