Removing 33BHP Restrictor kit on Yamaha FZ6 S2 on a 2008 Plate

MitchellsFZ6

Truly obsessed with bikes
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys and girls :)

I passed my test over 7 months ago and haven't looked back since I done it, since im under 21 I have to have my bike restricted, which sucks but hey, its the law... I accepted this fact but now I've had enough, I'm having to rev the b**loc*s off my bike in 1st and 2nd to get anywhere and I seem to top out at about 95 but thats only if it feels like it, otherwise it struggles to reach 70! Its a ****ing joke, so I've now decided, enough is enough and I love my bike too much to want to ruin its 1st and 2nd gear...

I don't know if anyone else has done a thread on this or not but I'm sure they have :L and I cant find it -,- :spank:

So, here's my question, has anyone had any experience with removing their restriction kit?
I've got some locktite on the screws when they fitted it and between me and my dad we tried to get one of the screws out but nearly took the head off :spank: Which is annoying!

Has anyone got any tools, or is there anyone that can give me an idea as to how to do it without ruining the screws?
Ive heard about using a blowtorch for about 10 seconds to melt the locktite but there isnt enough space to get the frickin thing in there! :'(

If anyone has any ideas/ specific ways of doing it, I'll quite happily sit down and listen, I've just had enough of ruining my first and second gears

Mitchell.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
i can't condone you removing your restrictor, but doesn't it partially work by restricting the maximum revs and hence how much throttle you can apply

these bikes love to be revved anyway, but if you have a ceiling of 7-8k rpm, then you aren't even close to stressing the engine

don't forget, your insurance is invalidated if you ride without your restrictor, and it's technically the same as riding with no licence at all. if you have an accident then they will probably check if you have restrictors in place.

Last edited:

MitchellsFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
i can't condone you removing your restrictor, but doesn't it partially work by restricting the maximum revs and hence how much throttle you can apply

these bikes love to be revved anyway, but if you have a ceiling of 7-8k rpm, then you aren't even close to stressing the engine

Thats exactly my problem, it restricts the throttle... Meaning that the 4th, 5th and 6th gears are basically pointless above 60 MPH because they've got no go... They will not pull...

Yeah, I understand that the R6 engine is meant to be revved, and alot to get any power from it but I can quite easily surpase the 7 to 8,000 RPM range... It just stops after the 2nd gear...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
To help loosen locktite from a screw, I use my soldiering gun, crank it up on high and put it on the head of the screw. This is generally enough to loosen the locktite and allow removal of the screw..

I'm not condoning what your going to do, you'll find a way sooner or later. Just be carefull as your fixing to wake that bike up.. It is a very different machine over 7,000 RPM and can get you in trouble real quick if not experianced or paying attention...

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Depending on what kind of loctite they used kroil (the best penetrating oil ever made) will dissolve it you can buy it at HVAC supply houses, if you go this route, spray it on and let it sit about 5 min. It may take a couple times but it's worked for me in the past

MitchellsFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Cheers for the replies guys :)
Once the winters been and gone, I plan on taking it off about February next year because its getting to the point of dry storing my FZ

Mitchell.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
a restricted plate? what is this NASCAR???:spank:
+1 on the soldering iron with penetrating oil.

be SUPER careful when you do it, your probably going to have to put it back at some point.

BE SUPER CRAZY CAUTIOUS, THE BIKE WILL TRY AND THROW YOU ABOVE 8K RPMS.... if I see you posting in the hall of shame i will be very disappointed in you young man!!:spank::spank::spank::spank::spank:

just be careful, you are unleashing alot more power

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site
I've never heard of restrictor kits. This would be very useful for new riders but the level they set it at is kind of ridiculous. It should be around 50-60.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never heard of restrictor kits. This would be very useful for new riders but the level they set it at is kind of ridiculous. It should be around 50-60.

it's from the european legislation, it works out to 25kW, roughly the same as a 250-400cc bike

if you've been used to ringing the neck off the bike as it only has 33bhp, then it will feel like a completely different animal when you de-restrict it.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
its not crazy, im all of 110lbs and im short....with that little weight on it, and a dyno tune it is a quick bike....it will try and throw you if you flick your wrist and you arent ready for it.
its mostly because of the seating position, on my fiends ducati i can go wot whenever and because its a sportbike the position is hunched over, much easier to hold on

Grouse

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't do it. The restriction for under 21's makes good sense, it may well have saved lives it has definitely saved a lot of pain. To go from a 12 bhp to a 90+bhp machine is a BIG jump, and when you are young you think you are immortal (well most seem to). Personally I think there is a missing step it should be:- 1st 2 years limited to 12bhp ( or until you pass some sort of test), 2nd 2 years limited to 33bhp ( or until you pass a moor advance test)and then another 1 year limited to 100bhp. This way at least you have a decent level of experience before you buy your BMW SS1000RR.
May be older people could miss out the 33hp restriction but only if they pass the advance test in the 1st 2 years.
Experience counts for a lot moor on bikes than it dose in cages.

MitchellsFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't do it. The restriction for under 21's makes good sense, it may well have saved lives it has definitely saved a lot of pain. To go from a 12 bhp to a 90+bhp machine is a BIG jump, and when you are young you think you are immortal (well most seem to). Personally I think there is a missing step it should be:- 1st 2 years limited to 12bhp ( or until you pass some sort of test), 2nd 2 years limited to 33bhp ( or until you pass a moor advance test)and then another 1 year limited to 100bhp. This way at least you have a decent level of experience before you buy your BMW SS1000RR.
May be older people could miss out the 33hp restriction but only if they pass the advance test in the 1st 2 years.
Experience counts for a lot moor on bikes than it dose in cages.

I completely agree with you about the whole restriction but 33bhp for 2 years is insane. Truly insane, I've been on an R1 and I know what 190+ BHP is like... With that power it wants to throw you off the back, I didnt feel immortal being on that, it scared me, but 33BHP is insane, an RS125 puts that power out... I've known 3 or 4 people who have ridden these on L plates, although this is illegal it doesnt stop people from doing it! Lol.

What really gets on my nerves is that people over 21 can do their DirectAccess and get an S1000RR, it really ****s me off!! I've been riding bikes for 3 years, I'm on a learning curve with how power is delivered but because someones over the age of 21 they get full rights to a Hayabusa and ZX-10's?!

Stupid european crap. Its messed up beyond belief.

Sorry if it sounds like I was ranting at you, I wasnt, it just annoys me somewhat.

MitchellsFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

Thats the eurpean legislation for you mate... Its ****.
I'd rather have to do a much harder test, which lasts longer.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Back in the 90s when I got my bike licence, you were restricted to 250cc, which was all well and good, but the Japanese apparently saw this as a challenge and increased the power to 250cc bikes as much as possible! (but in order to get much benefit, they also reduced the weight of the bike so they were laughably light)

My first bike was a GT250X7, a nice 1978 vintage 2-stroke 250cc. (apparently, the first widely available 100mi/hr 250cc I'm told!)

It was (very nearly!) lethal, and did 180kms/hr with my, then, 78kg frame)

Thankfully, after crashing it, and not dying!, I bought a early 80s CB250N (CB400 frame with a 250cc motor - and it was GUTLESS!)

Now, here in some states in OZ, they have LAMS (Learner Approved Motorcycle System) meaning the bike, for learners, must be below a certain weight/power ratio (and be below 600cc) or something. (however, in Queensland you can do a Q-Ride weekend course and go from never riding a bike before, to having your open bike licence in 2 8hr sessions - madness!)

When I got my licence, as I said, I was restricted to 250cc for at least 1 year, and then could sit a test for my 'open' licence, and I strongly endorse this (no longer used) method as I made many mistakes on my 250cc that probably would have killed me and others on a more powerful bike. (in NSW, you don't even need an accompanying rider on your Learners Permit!)

Basically, what I'm trying to say, is that you're better served, in my opinion, to hold onto your restricted bike for as long as practical.

(BTW - I 'heard' that the S2 had a different ECU, and it was the ECU that restricted the bike?)

The FZ6 is a missile, in the wrong hands, and a learner really isn't capable, in my opinion, of handling such power. (with great power, come great responsibility!)

Cheers,
Rick

Daffee

Reaction score
Visit site
I ve got a restricted FZ6 Fazer, i ve had 102 out of it restricted, i ve had a go unrestricted as well, on all private land of course, the power differance is insane, but what I did find is im faster at this stage riding it restricted, i was too scared to push the bike when its unrestricted incase i give it too much throttle going around a corner, if i were you i would use the two years to master cornering, carrying speed through corners is where you get your true speed, and not while going fast down a straight.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ve got a restricted FZ6 Fazer, i ve had 102 out of it restricted, i ve had a go unrestricted as well, on all private land of course, the power differance is insane, but what I did find is im faster at this stage riding it restricted

This has also been my experience, until you can carve a corner on a lower powered machine, you're really not ready for the extra power of a derestricted bike.

Sure, it's nice to have a bit extra pull out of the corners, but it's not a stage thing - it's all or nothing. (from restricted to weapon, and nothing in between)

Even the magazine reviews state the (derestricted) Fizzer is more 'for an experienced rider', rather than one who may not have the skills to handle the performance.

if i were you i would use the two years to master cornering, carrying speed through corners is where you get your true speed, and not while going fast down a straight.

I wholeheartedly agree - the news is FULL of dead motorcycle riders that 'thought they could' or 'thought they were ready'.

My thoughts, but after my ill-conceived experiences, I strongly endorse the 'lower capacity/lower powered bikes are better for learners' philosophy.

Learn to ride before you learn to go fast.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ is my first street bike and im 19 here in the states. ive tached it to 12-13 a couple of times and in all honesty the bike to me is super forgiving. yeah if your being stupid and slammin it to powerband when you cant handle it your gonna get in trouble but stock the bike has a built in power lag (as most of you know well) for beginning riders as in the US most people learn on a bigger bike than a 125 or 250. and 33hp is a rediculous restriction. i have dirtbikes with more. and for safety every bike should be able to have enough power to get out of a bad situation because slowing down isnt always the way to avoid problems.